User password rejected Mint. Solved

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Andow
Level 3
Level 3

User password rejected Mint. Solved

Post by Andow »

After reinstating lost grub, later 9 months and win 10 system update, I am unable to access my only Mint user account, rejecting password, It accepted OS password, but not user account which I had recorded in a note book at time it was installed 21/2 years ago I'm 90% sure its correct, tried many combinations but all failed. From memory only the OS was encrypted.
Could it be the password encryption system has been corrupted, if that were the case could a restore correct the issue ?.
If I need to start over do I need to uninstall Linux Mint before reinstalling it again, and can I use the same USB as in the original install?.
Thank you Andow

Thought I give it one last try, what I found was there was a broken system package which I repaired, updated the grub which took me to login screen entered password went into user account all look good, restarted it been fine since, except for update manager, but that for another post.
Thank you to all for your input. Andow
PS. The links provided to solution, I found were out of date for my system LMC.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: User password rejected Mint

Post by Pierre »

you can still manually Reset that User password:
https://www.maketecheasier.com/reset-ubuntu-password/
or
https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/linux/r ... s-or-less/

ie: you simply select the latest installed Boot Kernel from your Grub Boot menu:
- and then use the “e” key to choose to edit that boot option.
as shown, above ..
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Andow
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Andow »

Pierre wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 7:03 am you can still manually Reset that User password:
https://www.maketecheasier.com/reset-ubuntu-password/
or
https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/linux/r ... s-or-less/

ie: you simply select the latest installed Boot Kernel from your Grub Boot menu:
- and then use the “e” key to choose to edit that boot option.
as shown, above ..
Hi pierre. 1 I read through your links and used it but came to a stop at where it said drop to boot shell prompt and entered the command line interface, “this is where it differed from the tutorial” it asks for root password for maintenance or press ctrl-D (is that the partition for the OS or user acc password, in any case it doesn't give me a cursor to make an entry, so no options but to power down to back-out.
Regards Andow
Last edited by Andow on Sat May 18, 2019 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

try again - with that second link & look for the section Alternate Root Shell Method
- First you’ll want to make sure to choose the regular boot kernel that you use (typically just the 1st one),
and then use the “e” key to choose to edit that boot option. ..

then read this bit:
You’ll want to remove the “ro quiet splash” part with the backspace key, and then add this onto the end:
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
Andow
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Andow »

Pierre wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 6:43 am try again - with that second link & look for the section Alternate Root Shell Method
- First you’ll want to make sure to choose the regular boot kernel that you use (typically just the 1st one),
and then use the “e” key to choose to edit that boot option. ..

then read this bit:
You’ll want to remove the “ro quiet splash” part with the backspace key, and then add this onto the end:
Hi pierre. I went through the 2nd procedure, unfortunately no result, when I got to “ro quite splash” replaced it with “rw intin=/bin/bash” pressed enter, cursor drooped to next line, pressed “b key” to choose with that options, it didn't boot to the kernel boot terminal to change password.
The end of line in my version reads, “ro quite splash $vt_handoff”, I tried it with and without the $vt_handoff part. It didn't go to command prompt.
When shutting down Linux, text appeared quickly saying something about kernel maybe missing, but all seems ok to me.?
Could it be that the OS is encrypted, that's is what Ive been reading in other posts.
Thank you again Andow
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

that encryption may have an bearing on your issue
- what's actually encrypted ?
- - just the /home partition ?
- - the whole drive is encrypted ?

the thing is - that encryption is not meant to be easily by-passed:
- that would simply defeat the whole point, of that encryption, wouldn't it ?.
so - if you can't get "in" - - then the whole thing is shot & you'll be facing an Full Re-Installation.
:roll:
Andow
Level 3
Level 3

Re: User password rejected Mint ABANDON

Post by Andow »

Pierre wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 4:32 am that encryption may have an bearing on your issue
- what's actually encrypted ?
- - just the /home partition ?
- - the whole drive is encrypted ?

the thing is - that encryption is not meant to be easily by-passed:
- that would simply defeat the whole point, of that encryption, wouldn't it ?.
so - if you can't get "in" - - then the whole thing is shot & you'll be facing an Full Re-Installation.
:roll:
Hi pierre. Encryption was an option I took at installation the whole partition is encrypted I don't think I used the wrong password, any passwords I’d use are very limited I tried all in many combination. I'm highly suspicious the encryption failed.
Thank you for your help. Andow
I'll mark this post abandon.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Don't abandon just yet - when you try to login in to the user account with the passowrd from your notes is it telling you the password is incorrect, or is it it just throwing you back to the login-screen with no message?
- If the latter this is still fixable.

Re the failure to drop to a root shell from grub it appears (unfortunately) you've got a root password set which i guess means this install started as an 18.1 or earlier install. The root password should be the same as the user password was when you first installed So it is worth trying the process outlined in https://www.maketecheasier.com/reset-ubuntu-password/ again and using the password from your notebook when it asks for root's password.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
Andow
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Andow »

smurphos wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 12:53 am Don't abandon just yet - when you try to login in to the user account with the passowrd from your notes is it telling you the password is incorrect, or is it it just throwing you back to the login-screen with no message?
- If the latter this is still fixable.

Re the failure to drop to a root shell from grub it appears (unfortunately) you've got a root password set which i guess means this install started as an 18.1 or earlier install. The root password should be the same as the user password was when you first installed So it is worth trying the process outlined in https://www.maketecheasier.com/reset-ubuntu-password/ again and using the password from your notebook when it asks for root's password.
Hi Smurphos. See my original post as to how I resolved the problem.
Thanks again Andow
Last edited by Moem on Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed a quote. Make sure to always use a closing tag [/quote] after a quote.

Return to “Beginner Questions”