(SOLVED) Trying to install a file ending in .tar.bz2 without success.

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Mike-Linux-Mint
Level 4
Level 4

(SOLVED) Trying to install a file ending in .tar.bz2 without success.

Post by Mike-Linux-Mint »

Hey guys,

I've been trying to install a program called OmegaT which is a file ending in .tar.bz2 but without success at all
and it's difficult for me to understand their very short explanation. That's what they wrote to install the file:

explanation that can also be found here: https://omegat.sourceforge.io/manual-la ... ntel.users

2.2. Installing OmegaT

Unpack/untar the downloaded file. This will create an omegat/ folder in the working folder in which you will find all the files needed to run OmegaT. To untar the .tar.gz file:

$ tar xf downloaded_file.tar.gz

Here is the full name of the program I downloaded
OmegaT_3.6.0_11_Linux.tar.bz2

1/ Does "Unpack/untar" means to "extract" a file? If so, I already did it. If not what should I do to unpack it?
2/ In the command line, What should I replace "downloaded_file" with? I used the full name of the program I downloaded "OmegaT_3.6.0_11_Linux.tar.bz2" but it didn't work. That's what I got:

tar xf OmegaT_3.6.0_11_Linux.tar.bz2.tar.gz
tar: OmegaT_3.6.0_11_Linux.tar.bz2.tar.gz: Cannot open: No such file or directory
tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now

And then i tired it without _Linux.tar.bz2 and got pretty much the same:

~$ tar xf OmegaT_3.6.0_11.tar.gz
tar: OmegaT_3.6.0_11.tar.gz: Cannot open: No such file or directory

3/ I don't know what to do next? There is a shell script in OmegaT called linux-install.sh but I have no idea what to do with it? If I click on it, a document opens with a computer language but that's it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Trying to install a file ending in .tar.bz2 without success.

Post by phd21 »

Hi Mike-Linux-Mint,

If I am not mistaken, this application requires that Java be installed. Linux Mint 19.x comes with Java 11 runtime installed, but a lot of applications will not work with Java 11 or newer. So, I recommend installing Java 8 and making that the default Java.

A quick test opening this app with Java 12 seemed to work for me.

Install Java 8 runtime and some other useful stuff

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install mediainfo mediainfo-gui openjdk-8-jre wget ffmpeg x264 x265
Make Java 8 the default using the command below

sudo update-alternatives --config java
OmegaT is a free and open source multiplatform Computer Assisted Translation tool with fuzzy matching, translation memory, keyword search, glossaries, and translation leveraging into updated projects.

I downloaded their latest version from the link below as a Linux 64-bit archive file (Linux with 64-bit JRE).
Download - OmegaT
https://omegat.org/download#latest

I save everything to my Downloads folder. Bring up your file manager and right-click that archive file in my case "OmegaT_4.2.0_Beta_Linux_64.tar.bz2" and select extract here, get into that new folder like "OmegaT_4.2.0_Beta_Linux_64" and make sure you have permission to run their application startup program which in this case is the "OmegaT.jar" file (right-click select properties, permission tab, check allow execute, apply/ok), then you can double-click it to start it. You can create a desktop shortcut launcher by right-clicking desktop, select create new launcher, enter in a name, click browse button to the right of command box and browse to the OmegaT.jar file then add "java -jar " to the front of that, and save it. I usually move application folders from my Downloads folder to an applications or apps folder underneath my home folder before creating new desktop launchers or menu items.

Hope this helps ...
omegaT
omegaT
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
Mike-Linux-Mint
Level 4
Level 4

phd21 wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 1:26 pm Hi Mike-Linux-Mint,

If I am not mistaken, this application requires that Java be installed. Linux Mint 19.x comes with Java 11 runtime installed, but a lot of applications will not work with Java 11 or newer. So, I recommend installing Java 8 and making that the default Java.

A quick test opening this app with Java 12 seemed to work for me.

Install Java 8 runtime and some other useful stuff

sudo apt-get install mediainfo mediainfo-gui openjdk-8-jre wget ffmpeg x264 x265
Make Java 8 the default using the command below

sudo update-alternatives --config java
OmegaT is a free and open source multiplatform Computer Assisted Translation tool with fuzzy matching, translation memory, keyword search, glossaries, and translation leveraging into updated projects.

I downloaded their latest version from the link below as a Linux 64-bit archive file (Linux with 64-bit JRE).
Download - OmegaT
https://omegat.org/download#latest

I save everything to my Downloads folder. Bring up your file manager and right-click that archive file in my case "OmegaT_4.2.0_Beta_Linux_64.tar.bz2" and select extract here, get into that new folder like "OmegaT_4.2.0_Beta_Linux_64" and make sure you have permission to run their application startup program which in this case is the "OmegaT.jar" file (right-click select properties, permission tab, check allow execute, apply/ok), then you can double-click it to start it. You can create a desktop shortcut launcher by right-clicking desktop, select create new launcher, enter in a name, click browse button to the right of command box and browse to the OmegaT.jar file then add "java -jar " to the front of that, and save it. I usually move application folders from my Downloads folder to an applications or apps folder underneath my home folder before creating new desktop launchers or menu items.

Hope this helps ...
omegaT.jpg

Thanks for the very detailed explanation.
So I followed every step you said and right clicked on OmegaT.jar, selected properties, permission tab but there was no allow execute box to check unfortunately. I took a screenshot. I forgot to say that I have Mint XFCE, I'm not sure if that changes anything

When I double click on the same file, i have that message
Attachments
Screenshot_2.png
Screenshot_2.png (21.04 KiB) Viewed 1063 times
Screenshot_2019-05-17_19-58-04.png
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi Mike-Linux-Mint,

You are welcome...

It would help to know more about your system setup like which edition and version of Linux Mint you are using. If you run "inxi -Fxzd" and "lsusb" from the console terminal prompt, highlight the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information.

It looks like you gave the correct permission for running their Java file, but for some reason it still is not letting you run it? Close any error messages and the app. Obviously, if you moved the folder somewhere else, you will have to run it from its new location.

Here is a console terminal method to change permissions which you can open a console terminal in that folder or run with the path location to the file. FYI: the tilda "~" represent "/home/YourUserName/".

If you are in their folder (you can copy and paste the command as well)

chmod a+x OmegaT.jar
If you are not in their folder then specify the path to their startup file, and upper and lower case characters and spelling does matter.

chmod a+x ~/Downloads//OmegaT_4.2.0_Beta_Linux_64/OmegaT.jar
After running that command try double-clicking their file again.

Or try running it from the console terminal prompt.

java -jar ~/Downloads//OmegaT_4.2.0_Beta_Linux_64/OmegaT.jar
Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

Mike-Linux-Mint wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 1:00 pm tar xf OmegaT_3.6.0_11_Linux.tar.bz2.tar.gz
tar: OmegaT_3.6.0_11_Linux.tar.bz2.tar.gz: Cannot open: No such file or directory
That just means the file isn't there:

$ tar xf no-file.tar.xf
tar: no-file.tar.xf: Cannot open: No such file or directory
Try running that command in the directory containing the .tar.xf file. You can also unpack it double-click on it in a file-browser.

Yes, .tar.xf is about like a .zip file.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Mike-Linux-Mint
Level 4
Level 4

phd21 wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 2:28 pm Hi Mike-Linux-Mint,

You are welcome...

It would help to know more about your system setup like which edition and version of Linux Mint you are using. If you run "inxi -Fxzd" and "lsusb" from the console terminal prompt, highlight the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information.

It looks like you gave the correct permission for running their Java file, but for some reason it still is not letting you run it? Close any error messages and the app. Obviously, if you moved the folder somewhere else, you will have to run it from its new location.

Here is a console terminal method to change permissions which you can open a console terminal in that folder or run with the path location to the file. FYI: the tilda "~" represent "/home/YourUserName/".

If you are in their folder (you can copy and paste the command as well)

chmod a+x OmegaT.jar
If you are not in their folder then specify the path to their startup file, and upper and lower case characters and spelling does matter.

chmod a+x ~/Downloads//OmegaT_4.2.0_Beta_Linux_64/OmegaT.jar
After running that command try double-clicking their file again.

Or try running it from the console terminal prompt.

java -jar ~/Downloads//OmegaT_4.2.0_Beta_Linux_64/OmegaT.jar
Hope this helps ...

Here are the results of what you asked:

mike@mike-Lenovo-V110-15IAP:~$ chmod a+x OmegaT.jar
chmod: cannot access 'OmegaT.jar': No such file or directory
mike@mike-Lenovo-V110-15IAP:~$ inxi -Fxzd
System:    Host: mike-Lenovo-V110-15IAP Kernel: 4.15.0-50-generic x86_64
           bits: 64 gcc: 7.3.0
           Desktop: Xfce 4.12.3 (Gtk 2.24.31) Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara
Machine:   Device: laptop System: LENOVO product: 80TG v: Lenovo V110-15IAP serial: N/A
           Mobo: LENOVO model: Lenovo V110-15IAP v: SDK0J40700 WIN serial: N/A
           UEFI: LENOVO v: 1MCN34WW date: 11/21/2016
Battery    BAT0: charge: 21.5 Wh 98.0% condition: 21.9/22.6 Wh (97%)
           model: SANYO L15S3A01 status: Charging
           hidpp__0: charge: N/A condition: NA/NA Wh
           model: Logitech Wireless Mouse status: Discharging
CPU:       Quad core Intel Pentium N4200 (-MCP-) arch: N/A cache: 1024 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 8755
           clock speeds: max: 2500 MHz 1: 2414 MHz 2: 2387 MHz 3: 2387 MHz
           4: 2387 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel Celeron N3350/Pentium N4200/Atom E3900 Series Integrated Graphics Controller
           bus-ID: 00:02.0
           Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.19.6 )
           drivers: modesetting (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1366x768@60.00hz
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 505 (Broxton)
           version: 4.5 Mesa 18.2.8 Direct Render: Yes
Audio:     Card Intel Celeron N3350/Pentium N4200/Atom E3900 Series Audio Cluster
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:0e.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.15.0-50-generic
Network:   Card-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCIE Gigabit Ethernet Controller
           driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: 1000 bus-ID: 01:00.0
           IF: enp1s0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 Plus Bluetooth
           driver: iwlwifi bus-ID: 02:00.0
           IF: wlp2s0 state: down mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 500.1GB (11.0% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: ST500LT012 size: 500.1GB
           Optical-1: /dev/sr0 model: PLDS DVD-RW DA8AESH
           rev: XL61 dev-links: cdrom,cdrw,dvd,dvdrw
           Features: speed: 24x multisession: yes
           audio: yes dvd: yes rw: cd-r,cd-rw,dvd-r,dvd-ram state: running
Partition: ID-1: / size: 457G used: 52G (12%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda2
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 41.0C mobo: 26.0C
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 201 Uptime: 5 min Memory: 893.0/3518.5MB
           Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 7.4.0
           Client: Shell (bash 4.4.191) inxi: 2.3.56 

mike@mike-Lenovo-V110-15IAP:~$ lsusb
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0bda:0129 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTS5129 Card Reader Controller
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 8087:0a2a Intel Corp. 
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 04f2:b579 Chicony Electronics Co., Ltd 
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 046d:c52b Logitech, Inc. Unifying Receiver
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
mike@mike-Lenovo-V110-15IAP:~$ 
OmegaT is still in the Downloads folder
I tried to run that line chmod a+x ~/Downloads//OmegaT_4.2.0_Beta_Linux_64/OmegaT.jar
but that's what I got:
Attachments
Screenshot3.png
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

As the chmod command returned to the prompt silently without any error message, the command has succeeded.
You can verify by executing ls -l ~/Downloads/OmegaT_4.2.0_Beta_Linux_64/OmegaT.jar It should confirm that the "x" bit has been set on file ~/Downloads/OmegaT_4.2.0_Beta_Linux_64/OmegaT.jar.
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline
Mike-Linux-Mint
Level 4
Level 4

karlchen wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 5:00 am As the chmod command return to the prompt silently without any error message, the command has succeeded.
You can verify by executing ls -l ~/Downloads/OmegaT_4.2.0_Beta_Linux_64/OmegaT.jar It should confirm that the "x" bit has been set on file ~/Downloads/OmegaT_4.2.0_Beta_Linux_64/OmegaT.jar.
I'm not sure what the chmod line was for but after double clicking on OmegaT.jar I was able to run the program :D
I learned something new today thanks to all of you. I'll just have to learn how to use it now.
Thanks guys!!
Attachments
Screenshot4.png
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi Mike-Linux-Mint,

You are welcome from all of us that replied...

Return to “Beginner Questions”