Automount CIFS and NFS Mint 18.3 (works) vs 19.1 (no works)

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
karen7
Level 1
Level 1

Automount CIFS and NFS Mint 18.3 (works) vs 19.1 (no works)

Post by karen7 » Fri May 17, 2019 8:47 pm

In Mint 18.3 I used the auto mounter to mount some CIFS and NFS shares from an older QNAP. The idea is to only have shares mounted when required and unmounted after a period of inactivity. It worked reliably so I'd like to keep using this method. I recently did a clean install of Mint 19.1 and tried to use the same configuration only to see if fail. I've worked on this for awhile now and am not getting anywhere so some help would be great!

Manually mounting works as long as I specify vers=1.0 for CIFS as the QNAP is quite old (there are reasons not to update it.) Note: qnap is 192.168.100.100

These work using temp directory. All my testing has been as the root user.

# mount -t nfs qnap:/Users/Karen /mnt
# mount -t cifs //qnap/Multimedia /mnt -o credentials=/home/karen/.cred.txt,vers=1.0

The 18.3 configuration was really just two files:

The /etc/auto.master has the following line:

/users /etc/auto.users --timeout=30 --ghost

The /etc/auto.users file has the following lines.

karen -fstype=nfs,rw,soft,intr 192.168.100.100:/Users/Karen
video -fstype=cifs,credentials=/home/karen/.cred.txt,uid=502,gid=100,file_mode=0644.vers=1.0 ://192.168.100.100/Multimedia

So restart the autofs...

service autofs restart

Nothing of note in syslog. IF all went well changing to /users/karen or /users/video would show the contents from the qnap.

But...no go

root@iota:/# ll /users
total 4
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 0 May 17 18:23 ./
drwxr-xr-x 25 root root 4096 May 17 18:23 ../
root@iota:/# ll /users/karen
ls: cannot access '/users/karen': No such file or directory
root@iota:/# ll /users/video
ls: cannot access '/users/video': No such file or directory

Any ideas what changed between Mint 18.3 and 19.1 that made this stop working? And, perhaps more importantly, how to make it work again?

altair4
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Automount CIFS and NFS Mint 18.3 (works) vs 19.1 (no works)

Post by altair4 » Sat May 18, 2019 8:44 am

I haven't used NFS in 114 years but it seems to me that /Users/Karen is not the same thing as /users/karen.
/users/video is not defined in your auto.users file but /Multimedia is.

BTW, did you change the default uids on your system? Ubuntu starts with uid=1000 not uid=500.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

karen7
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Automount CIFS and NFS Mint 18.3 (works) vs 19.1 (no works)

Post by karen7 » Wed May 22, 2019 5:28 pm

altair4 wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 8:44 am
I haven't used NFS in 114 years but it seems to me that /Users/Karen is not the same thing as /users/karen.

BTW, did you change the default uids on your system? Ubuntu starts with uid=1000 not uid=500.
The Qnap likes to use Capital letters so I just replicated them. The case doesn't appear to make a difference (tried it). :D

The format of the auto.users file is correct. It shows the mounts below /users.

The base UID was changed to 500 to replicate what's happening under the hood of the qnap.

karen7
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Automount CIFS and NFS Mint 18.3 (works) vs 19.1 (no works) [SOLVED]

Post by karen7 » Wed May 22, 2019 6:02 pm

karen7 wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 5:28 pm
altair4 wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 8:44 am

The Qnap likes to use Capital letters so I just replicated them. The case doesn't appear to make a difference (tried it). :D

The format of the auto.users file is correct. It shows the mounts below /users.

The base UID was changed to 500 to replicate what's happening under the hood of the qnap.
[SOLUTION] Answered my own question. The /etc/auto.users file needs to be 644 instead of 755. Really?!? :oops:
:shock:

Return to “Newbie Questions”