Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
mohittandon
Level 1
Level 1

Back up and restore Linux running in virtualisation, in Windows 10 as host PC

Post by mohittandon » Thu May 16, 2019 8:43 pm

Hello Friends,

I am running linux Mint, in virtualsiation as guest OS. I ve a windows 10 laptop, added 256 gb of SSD, now my default HDD is drive 2 on the PC are D, E..and F further partitioned.
VMware workstation am using to run Linux Mint. all of a sudden, I do got unknown update in win 10 (i m unaware how come that happen), that changed my OS from win 10 home to pro...and its now asking for a pro update. Talked to the microsoft guys, one of them admitted that there might be some fault with m-soft server that might have pushed some wrong update, and now my Original win install date shows installed 15 days back.....in cmd ....well fastforwarding the matter, they said that the only way to get rid of this update prompt is perfrom a clean install, and reinstall win 10.
Is there a way out in which i can save virtualisation data, as there i have installed GNS3, and have my labs saved ....
Is there any way, i can save all of the files, and get the same installation back as it was before, post win 10 clean install?

Kindly reply
Last edited by WharfRat on Fri May 17, 2019 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved here from Chat about Linux Mint

lordmax
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Back up and restore Linux running in virtualisation, in Windows 10 as host PC

Post by lordmax » Thu May 16, 2019 10:45 pm

Hi,

VmWare wxist just for this

MAke a snapshot of you're virtual machine, save the snapshot to an external disk and reinstall windows 10, after reinstalled vmware copy the snapshot on disk and open it

mohittandon
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Back up and restore Linux running in virtualisation, in Windows 10 as host PC

Post by mohittandon » Tue May 21, 2019 5:47 am

Thanks bro...i googled a bit and came to know abt cloning.
however i got to know the snapshot, is there any difference between restoring via snapshot & via cloning.
Once snapshot or cloning is done, what to do after host operating system re-install, to restore my VMware/ virtual machine.

lordmax
Level 3
Level 3

Post by lordmax » Tue May 21, 2019 5:48 pm

HI,

after reinstall you have to open the clone from vmware console, just it
It's exactly the work of vmware

pbear
Level 6
Level 6

Post by pbear » Tue May 21, 2019 6:46 pm

I've been tinkering with VMware lately. (Most of my experience is with VirtualBox.) This is pretty simple. Copy the VM folder to a USB drive. Neither snapshot nor clone make much sense in this scenario. Just an ordinary copy. Reinstall Win10. Copy VM folder back onto the machine. Reinstall VMware; start it. Click "Open a Virtual Machine," navigate to VM folder and click Open. Will be added to active VM list and you're back in business. You'll be asked whether the VM was moved or copied. This mostly has to do with setting up the internet connection. Instructions recommend to say "copied."
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
If your problem has been solved, please edit the thread title.

Return to “Virtualization”