A Simple Question (I Hope!)

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Derek_S
Level 6
Level 6

A Simple Question (I Hope!)

Post by Derek_S » Tue May 21, 2019 8:17 pm

Someone on another thread asked me that when you install a Steam game, what directory (or directories) are used. I'm not a gamer, so I admitted I have no idea. He was curious as to whether all of the files end up in the / directory, or they all end up in the /home directory, or if they somehow get divided between the two, for instance the game itself is installed somewhere in / and the save files end up somewhere in /home. He's asking because he needs to decide if there is an advantage to creating a separate /home partition or not.
"When you rise in the morning, give thanks for the light, for your life, for your strength. Give thanks for your food and for the joy of living. If you see no reason to give thanks, the fault lies in yourself." - Tecumseh

gm10
Level 17
Level 17

Re: A Simple Question (I Hope!)

Post by gm10 » Tue May 21, 2019 8:25 pm

I do not understand what any of this has to do with a separate home partition but anyway, as I thought anybody using Steam would know, you get to choose where to install your games, this is configurable in Steam's settings on all operating systems. As to the rest of the application, depends on how you install it, flatpak or repository version.

Derek_S
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Derek_S » Tue May 21, 2019 8:33 pm

Hello @ gm10 - Thanks for the quick reply. I'll pass that information along. I think his main concern is if he ever has to re-install Linux Mint, he's afraid of losing all of his saved games.
"When you rise in the morning, give thanks for the light, for your life, for your strength. Give thanks for your food and for the joy of living. If you see no reason to give thanks, the fault lies in yourself." - Tecumseh

HaveaMint
Level 5
Level 5

Post by HaveaMint » Tue May 21, 2019 10:01 pm

Doesn't it default to /home/user/.steam/asubfolder ?
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".

gm10
Level 17
Level 17

Post by gm10 » Tue May 21, 2019 10:46 pm

Derek_S wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 8:33 pm
I think his main concern is if he ever has to re-install Linux Mint, he's afraid of losing all of his saved games.
It's kinda the point of Steam that you can access your games from anywhere, you don't lose anything. Unless he's concerned about download time I guess. Or disabled Steam cloud sync.

Return to “Gaming on Linux Mint”