WD My Passport not recognized

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sgtor
Level 4
Level 4

Re: WD My Passport not recognized

Post by sgtor »

Since it was used on windows that means it should have a windows filesystem I guess ntfs or do these things come with fat32, I really don't remember, the point is it should work with Linux Mint without problems.

So these are only assumptions since we can't know for sure how the drive was possibly changed.

You're in a tough position with it not being your drive, you can't do certain things to it. If it was my drive that I own I would try this as a longshot.

Code: Select all

mkdir ~/testmount && sudo mount -v -t auto /dev/sdb1 ~/testmount 
As others have suggested you could try over writing it with dd thus losing all data. You could take it out of the enclosure and install the drive directly to your computer.
sgtor
Level 4
Level 4

Post by sgtor »

And also you asked about SuperSpeed USB and xhci_hcd. I've never read about it before so I can't help you there.
helmar

Post by helmar »

dmesg |tail
[ 1097.810303] scsi 5:0:0:0: Direct-Access WD My Passport 07A8 1042 PQ: 0 ANSI: 6
[ 1097.810507] scsi 5:0:0:1: Enclosure WD SES Device 1042 PQ: 0 ANSI: 6
[ 1097.811755] sd 5:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg2 type 0
[ 1097.811889] ses 5:0:0:1: Attached Enclosure device
[ 1097.812025] ses 5:0:0:1: Attached scsi generic sg3 type 13
[ 1104.108497] ses 5:0:0:1: Wrong diagnostic page; asked for 1 got 0
[ 1104.108503] ses 5:0:0:1: Failed to get diagnostic page 0xffffffea
[ 1104.108507] ses 5:0:0:1: Failed to bind enclosure -19
[ 1104.108748] sd 5:0:0:0: [sdb] Spinning up disk...
[ 1105.109440] ..ready
I might be wrong but since the dmesg output shows me a "sg3" device I tried

helmar@helmar-Lenovo-G40-70 ~ $ sudo smartctl -d scsi /dev/sg3
smartctl 6.5 2016-01-24 r4214 [x86_64-linux-4.4.0-148-generic] (local build)
Copyright (C) 2002-16, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org

helmar@helmar-Lenovo-G40-70 ~ $ 
As you can see, no error but no output at all.
mrmajik45

Post by mrmajik45 »

What I can say: Go to a data recovery company if he needs data then get a new "Passport" drive.
sgtor
Level 4
Level 4

Post by sgtor »

mrmajik45 wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 2:47 pm What I can say: Go to a data recovery company if he needs data then get a new "Passport" drive.
I too think the drive is dead but somehow I really wanted it to work out well for him so I'm pretty much grasping at straws.

Your post gives me an idea though for another command that I didn't think of before. Helmar try one last command before giving up on it.

sudo apt install testdisk && sudo testdisk /list /dev/sdb
On a good disk that will show the partitions. Once you know that info you could use it to recover the data however it's pretty time consuming and for you probably too complex by your own admission of being a non tech, it's something you can only do yourself. Therefore I would also say go to a data recovery company if he really needs the data.
helmar

Post by helmar »

sgtor wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 4:14 pm
I too think the drive is dead but somehow I really wanted it to work out well for him so I'm pretty much grasping at straws.

Your post gives me an idea though for another command that I didn't think of before. Helmar try one last command before giving up on it.

sudo apt install testdisk && sudo testdisk /list /dev/sdb
Hey guys. Thanks, Sgtor for not giving up. Something else came up at this point. Tell me. I know that sda usually is the local drive and sdb are the removable drives, right? When I look at the dmesg output it always says sg3. Then, when I tried your testdisk suggestion I started trying it with all the possibilities I could
testdisk /dev/sd* it only shows the sda partitions
testdisk /dev/ anything I could LOL
Then I changed the drive to a USB2 port (don't ask me why. I'm giving blind shots LOL)
Dmesg showed me sg2 device. I might be crazy or sg* are not related to this?

As a last attempt, I plugged the device back to the USB3 port and tried smartctl and testdisk using sg2 and at this right moment both commands are running (I don't know if I should run both at the same time). Something different showed up in the smartctl command but it is stuck in this "running" mode and nothing happens.
Anyway, it is a good result? Here are the current status:

sudo testdisk -list /dev/sg2
[sudo] password for helmar: 
TestDisk 7.0, Data Recovery Utility, April 2015
Christophe GRENIER <grenier@cgsecurity.org>
http://www.cgsecurity.org
Nothing new but how about this one?

helmar@helmar-Lenovo-G40-70 ~ $ sudo smartctl -a /dev/sg2

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
Vendor:               WD
Product:              My Passport 07A8
Revision:             1042
Compliance:           SPC-4
Serial number:        WX51A83C5482
Device type:          disk
Local Time is:        Wed May 22 07:40:53 2019 -03
SMART support is:     Unavailable - device lacks SMART capability.

=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
It says "no SMART support". What does that mean? Good news?

The cursor is blinking just like a running command and nothing else happened while I was writing this post.
Unfortunately, I have to switch back to Windows (I use Windows at work :roll: :roll: :roll: ) but I hope this message brings a light over this problem.
Thanks!

Editing: before booting my laptop I saw this on the smartctl command:

device becoming ready (wait)
A mandatory SMART command failed: exiting. To continue, add one or more '-T permissive' options.
helmar

Post by helmar »

Updating (before you tell me to try these:)
I tried

helmar@helmar-Lenovo-G40-70 ~ $ sudo smartctl --smart=on --offlineauto=on --saveauto=on /dev/sg2
And then

helmar@helmar-Lenovo-G40-70 ~ $ sudo smartctl -a --tolerance=verypermissive /dev/sg2
No error, no result for both after a few minutes
sgtor
Level 4
Level 4

Post by sgtor »

You seem to be eager to learn on your own and I can't fault you for that but none of this extra info is needed nor is it useful. Like I said don't take that as discouragement to not continue on your own.

For here though you need to copy and paste what I post.

Using sg0 will not work for the testdisk command thus you got an error. Do it this way.

sudo testdisk /list /dev/sdb
Also note it's /list not -list, though -list does seem to work it's not in the documentation.

As for sgx, it refers to scsi devices. These get mapped to sdx type names but you should use /dev/sdx. Run this to see what I mean.

sudo apt install lsscsi && lsscsi -g
And /dev/sdb is not reserved for external drives, if you have 2 internal hard drives they would likely be assigned to /dev/sda and /dev/sdb.
helmar

Post by helmar »

by sgtor » Wed May 22, 2019 2:01 pm

You seem to be eager to learn on your own and I can't fault you for that but none of this extra info is needed nor is it useful. Like I said don't take that as discouragement to not continue on your own.

For here though you need to copy and paste what I post.
Thanks Sgtor. You've said none of the info was new or useful.
But what does it mean that device lacks SMART capability????
I thought this information was new and useful. Sorry...

Sdb was never listed in any of the attempts to find the device.
But, if you said to do it, let's do it:

helmar@helmar-Lenovo-G40-70 ~ $ sudo testdisk /list /dev/sdb
TestDisk 7.0, Data Recovery Utility, April 2015
Christophe GRENIER <grenier@cgsecurity.org>
http://www.cgsecurity.org

Unable to open file or device /dev/sdb: No such file or directory
And finally

helmar@helmar-Lenovo-G40-70 ~ $ lsscsi -g
[0:0:0:0]    disk    ATA      ST1000LM024 HN-M 0001  /dev/sda   /dev/sg0 
[1:0:0:0]    cd/dvd  HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GUA0N     AL00  /dev/sr0   /dev/sg1 
[4:0:0:0]    disk    WD       My Passport 07A8 1042  -          /dev/sg2 
[4:0:0:1]    enclosu WD       SES Device       1042  -          /dev/sg3
What now?
If the disk is listed couldn't we just try to mount it?
I apologize for my such newbie questions. I'm doing this because I'd like to help my friend, because I enjoy the time learning about Linux and because I've always been enthusiastic about the opensource world. (Worked as a volunteer for the Brazilian Openoffice project for over 6 years).
sgtor
Level 4
Level 4

Post by sgtor »

This line

[4:0:0:0] disk WD My Passport 07A8 1042 - /dev/sg2

The disk isn't even showing up as /dev/sdb anymore. It's probably time to give up on everything we've tried and accept it's a bad disk.

The next steps if you want are to take it out of the enclosure and install it directly into the computer or take it to a data recovery company if the data is needed.
jglen490

Post by jglen490 »

helmar wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 1:51 pm
sgtor wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 1:16 pm Give this a try

sudo smartctl -d scsi /dev/sdb
Firstly, I tried this. Apparently worked but it got stuck with no results for more than a minute.

About this. I don't know the history of this drive. It belongs to a friend's son that lives in another city and he just said it used to be used in Windows 10 to save projects and other documents. Worked for a while (not sure how long) and then start getting wrong with no reason.
Don't foll with it anymore. Open the enclosure, take out the hard drive, and if you have a desktop unit, set it up in your desktop and see if Linux can find it there (using df or lsblk or any number of other terminal utilties). If Linux can detect it, then you can use Gparted to format it with GPT and ext4 (or your choice) and just use it. If Linux doesn't "see" it, then it's probably trash and all that remains is if the enclosure is any good. Another discussion.
helmar

Post by helmar »

jglen490 wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 2:29 pm
helmar wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 1:51 pm
sgtor wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 1:16 pm Give this a try

sudo smartctl -d scsi /dev/sdb
Firstly, I tried this. Apparently worked but it got stuck with no results for more than a minute.

About this. I don't know the history of this drive. It belongs to a friend's son that lives in another city and he just said it used to be used in Windows 10 to save projects and other documents. Worked for a while (not sure how long) and then start getting wrong with no reason.
Don't foll with it anymore. Open the enclosure, take out the hard drive, and if you have a desktop unit, set it up in your desktop and see if Linux can find it there (using df or lsblk or any number of other terminal utilties). If Linux can detect it, then you can use Gparted to format it with GPT and ext4 (or your choice) and just use it. If Linux doesn't "see" it, then it's probably trash and all that remains is if the enclosure is any good. Another discussion.
No, I don't have a desktop. But I'll try to make this test in someone else's computer. If there is no Linux can I try this booting from a USB drive with any distro?
sgtor
Level 4
Level 4

Post by sgtor »

helmar wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 3:49 pm No, I don't have a desktop. But I'll try to make this test in someone else's computer. If there is no Linux can I try this booting from a USB drive with any distro?
Yes any distro should work but you might as well use a mint usb since you already know the distro.
Gparted is already there on a live disk.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

I did suggest removing form the enclosure some pages back. If you don't have a desktop, you could, possibly remove the drive from its enclosure and - in no particular order

1. remove your lappy HDD and plug the "faulty" one in - using a live session to see if you can, at lease read the drive
2. use another enclosure that you know works and try placing the drive in that.
3. send it out to a data recovery agency along with you earnings for the next century
4. Give up.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
RIH
Level 9
Level 9

Post by RIH »

I had an old big (in physical size as well as 3TB) WD Passport & it started to act up when I tried to access data on it.
The data was mostly TV shows & they, randomly, wouldn't open at all, would open & have issues while being played, or take a huge amount of time to get to a position to play.
At first I thought it was VLC playing up so tried just about every other player on the market with similar poor results.
I gave up & decided to physically destroy the drive before before I threw it away.
On opening it up I was very surprised to discover the box contained a normal WD 3TB disk attached to a pcb (& a great deal of empty space).
I removed the disk & tried it in another enclosure I had & it proceeded to work fine.

So well worth trying lsemmens' 1 & 2 - before you move onto his 4 if they do not work, :D
helmar

Post by helmar »

RIH wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 10:53 pm I had an old big (in physical size as well as 3TB) WD Passport & it started to act up when I tried to access data on it.
The data was mostly TV shows & they, randomly, wouldn't open at all, would open & have issues while being played, or take a huge amount of time to get to a position to play.
At first I thought it was VLC playing up so tried just about every other player on the market with similar poor results.
I gave up & decided to physically destroy the drive before before I threw it away.
On opening it up I was very surprised to discover the box contained a normal WD 3TB disk attached to a pcb (& a great deal of empty space).
I removed the disk & tried it in another enclosure I had & it proceeded to work fine.

So well worth trying lsemmens' 1 & 2 - before you move onto his 4 if they do not work, :D
Watching a video on "How to dismantle a WD Passport" I see that is kinda forced way to open the enclosure. Since this drive is not mine, I will be giving up for now and I'll tell my friend to send it to a data recovery service if he really needs to rescue the data.
Just to be sure: if I try to open the enclosure he will notice after assembling the drive back to the original packaging?
Last edited by helmar on Thu May 23, 2019 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
RIH
Level 9
Level 9

Post by RIH »

Yes!!
It was a destructive process - but I was going to destroy the disk anyway, so a 'no-brainer' for me.
However, removing the disk from the case did not damage the disk in any way - the disk just looked like one you would mount inside a PC, rather than one to be used via a USB.
I do not believe that taking it out of the original case would in any way inhibit a professional data recovery company from recovering data.
BUT... that is, obviously, a decision to be made by the disk owner - as lsemmens has already correctly noted, data recovery by professionals is an expensive process that is far from foolproof..
sgtor
Level 4
Level 4

Post by sgtor »

I felt the same way a few pages back too but knowing his situation i.e. not his disk. I knew taking it out of the enclosure was a last resort and maybe not possible, and data recovery companies are something I see as useless for me on a personal level. They are good for rich companies that have data worth more than the cost of recovery, yet any company worth their salt should have backups of that kind of data anyway.
helmar

Post by helmar »

sgtor wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 8:15 am I felt the same way a few pages back too but knowing his situation i.e. not his disk. I knew taking it out of the enclosure was a last resort and maybe not possible, and data recovery companies are something I see as useless for me on a personal level. They are good for rich companies that have data worth more than the cost of recovery, yet any company worth their salt should have backups of that kind of data anyway.
That's it!
Though he'd like to recover the data I don't think he'll be willing to pay for it. If this service is costly in US, it might cost a brand new laptop here in Brazil :D :roll:
If he gives up from it, I will buy this drive just to open it, or ask for its donation :P :P

Thanks, everybody!
mariaalopez
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mariaalopez »

To fix WD my passport not reorganized issue, follow the below basic fixes:

1. Ensure a WD passport is correctly plugged in on the device.
2. Update USB Drivers.
3. Try another PC/USB Port
4. Turn on & Format a drive in the Disk Management.

I hope these will help you to fix the issue and access the data within it. Good luck!!!

Return to “Hardware Support”