Is this LVM on LUKS installation method still relevant?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
somelurker
Level 4
Level 4

Is this LVM on LUKS installation method still relevant?

Post by somelurker »

Years ago, I used this guide to do a fully-encrypted installation of Mint: https://askubuntu.com/questions/293028/ ... -dual-boot

I even tested doing a clean installation using Mate 19, and it appeared to work. Recently, however, I ran into some problems when testing an upgrade from Mate 18.3 to Mate 19. I got an error involving lvmetad on startup, and some searching around indicated that the error may have something to do with using the UUIDs of partitions to boot up.

My general question is this: Are the steps in this guide still up-to-date, and is it still the best way to do a LVM on LUKS-encrypted installation? If so, perhaps some of the steps can be improved or updated without affecting the overall structure of the guide. If not, is there a better way to install Mint alongside Windows with encryption on both? Following the steps in that guide allows using, say, VeraCrypt for Windows and LVM on LUKS for Mint. That can come in pretty handy if you still need to have Windows for specific scenarios without resorting to using virtual machines and don't want to trust your Mint partition data to it.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Is this LVM on LUKS installation method still relevant?

Post by pbear »

Don't know the answer to your question, but thought I'd mention this thread about Windows Update borking a LUKS partition.
fabien85
Level 7
Level 7

Post by fabien85 »

I used this guide not so long ago with xubuntu 18.04 (in dual-boot with macOS). So it should work for Mint 19 (any flavour) which is based on Ubuntu 18.04.

But as pbear mentioned, do not dual-boot with windows, their evil will probably destroy your data one day.
(if you insist, the minimum is that you keep the OSes to separate hard drives, and have regular backups of your data)
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

fabien85 wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 1:32 pmkeep the OSes to separate hard drives
The crazy thing is that the drive borked in the linked thread was separate. Windows regarded it as available because not formatted (as far as Windows was concerned). The OP in that thread did have a backup, albeit not perfectly current.
somelurker
Level 4
Level 4

Post by somelurker »

fabien85 wrote: I used this guide not so long ago with xubuntu 18.04 (in dual-boot with macOS). So it should work for Mint 19 (any flavour) which is based on Ubuntu 18.04.

But as pbear mentioned, do not dual-boot with windows, their evil will probably destroy your data one day.
(if you insist, the minimum is that you keep the OSes to separate hard drives, and have regular backups of your data)
Thanks for sharing your experience with dual booting. Out of curiosity, is your macOS partition fully encrypted as well?

By the way, I'm not any more a fan of Windows than everyone else in this thread. However, there are some appliations that won't run except in Windows, and using a virtual machine is not a viable option for various reasons. I do have sufficient backups, so I'm not worried about Windows completely destroying my data. At least for me, the inconvenience of being unable to use Windows currently outweighs the potential danger.
fabien85
Level 7
Level 7

Post by fabien85 »

I didnt encrypt the macOS because I do not use it, it's mostly there in case I need to use mac software like iMovie and in the rare chance I need to upgrade the firmware. But I guess it should be doable without specific change.

You seem to be well aware of the problems with windows and have taken enough precautionary measures for when it will go bad. So good luck, enjoy Mint !

Return to “Installation & Boot”