Network Connecting Brother Printer(Resolved, sort of)

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
GELvdH
Level 5
Level 5

Network Connecting Brother Printer(Resolved, sort of)

Post by GELvdH »

I have 3 CPU's 2 Desktops and a Laptop, the desktops are running both Linux Mint and Windows 10 and the Laptop is running Linux Mint only. I have an older Brother DCP-L2540W Laser which works fine under the windows boot up but I can't seem to get it to register under Linux. Where can I find the drivers for Linux?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Network Connecting Brother Printer

Post by brian_p »

We have these thing called search engines. Try brother DCP-L2540W linux. You could be amazed!
--
Brian.
GELvdH
Level 5
Level 5

Post by GELvdH »

In my younger years we also had search engines, they were called secretaries, but that was apparently before your father was born.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Brother support for linux is pretty good. You want to download the debs for the driver and cups wrapper. Install the driver first and then the cupswrapper. I've not had much luck with their driver install tool, so do it manually, but you can try it if you want. Running a HL4140CN.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
GELvdH
Level 5
Level 5

Post by GELvdH »

I have tried both the Brother automatic install and the manual setup, since I am not very conversant in linux I have been unable to install a network printer. That being said, I will continue to just connect my printers to my #1 desktop and print from there and use the others for travel etc. :(
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

GELvdH wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 10:45 am I have tried both the Brother automatic install and the manual setup, since I am not very conversant in linux I have been unable to install a network printer. That being said, I will continue to just connect my printers to my #1 desktop and print from there and use the others for travel etc. :(
Your DCP-L2540DW is AirPrint-capable. Forget about drivers for it.

https://wiki.debian.org/QuickPrintQueue ... P_Printers
--
Brian.
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

Your DCP-L2540DW is AirPrint-capable. Forget about drivers for it.

https://wiki.debian.org/QuickPrintQueue ... P_Printers
[/quote]

Forgot. Mint 19.x only.
--
Brian.
GELvdH
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Network Connecting Brother Printer(Resolved, sort of)

Post by GELvdH »

I appreciate your attempt to help but as I said, I am not linux conversant. I don't even understand what you meant by Airprint and when I got to the web site you recommended nthat sent me into the glazed over look. Again thanks for trying to help an old man.

Return to “Printers & Scanners”