Linux Mint 7 "Gloria" x64 released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Linux Mint 7 "Gloria" x64 released!

Post by clem »

The team is proud to announce the release of Linux Mint 7 “Gloria” x64. Quick steps: Download the ISO or the torrent. While it’s downloading look at the videos and the overview of the new features in Linux Mint 7, read the User Guide and make sure to quickly go through the known issues. After the ISO is downloaded [...]
Read more: http://www.linuxmint.com/blog/?p=910

Clem.
PiEp
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Linux Mint 7 "Gloria" x64 released!

Post by PiEp »

Congratulations to Clem and the team!

Now I am an avid Linux Mint user, but I am still uncertain what advantages the 64-bit version would have. Most importantly the performance gain vs. driver problems specifically for Mint 7 Gloria. Can someone enlighten me? Does someone have benchmark numbers and/or experiences to share?

In any case: Mint FTW!
ayonkhan

Post by ayonkhan »

Great job. :)
Da Londo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Da Londo »

Working 'till 22h today, will download as soon as I get home, install may be delayed because I have an early appointment tomorrow but I'm so curious about it I may as well do the install too.
aka Jim on HexChat
Ale_JP

Post by Ale_JP »

Thank you! is already running.
jdog

Post by jdog »

I sure wish I could just upgrade to the latest version like you can in Ubuntu. I'm still using Elyssa. I don't wish to go thru the hassle of a fresh install. Clem,
I thought you were working on that with the last release ? :cry:
subslug
Level 3
Level 3

Post by subslug »

jdog wrote:I sure wish I could just upgrade to the latest version like you can in Ubuntu. I'm still using Elyssa. I don't wish to go thru the hassle of a fresh install. Clem,
I thought you were working on that with the last release ? :cry:
From the Wiki....
Upgrade instructions:

To upgrade to Linux Mint 7 x64 from Linux Mint 7 x64 RC1, launch mintUpdate, enable the “dist-upgrade” option in the preferences window and refresh the list of upgrades. Make sure to apply all level 1 and level 2 upgrades.

An upgrade path for Linux Mint 6 “Felicia” x64 users will be published in a few days.
Sorry, no mention of upgrading all the way from Elyssa. Your best bet maybe to just backup /home and do a fresh install. It's really not that tough.

I upgraded from the 64bit RC and only had two apps to update.
kmrdeva

Post by kmrdeva »

I am currently using Gloria X64 RC1, so should I just enable the 'dist upgrades' option in MintUpdate to go up to the Release Edition or do I need to actually install again from the Release Edition CD?
Mike A

Post by Mike A »

I have been using Mint7 x64 since this morning and I can find nothing unstable about it. I am now running both 32 and 64 bit versions on respective machines and they are the best. Thanks to you and all your team for a great job! Entire set up including adding the programs that I like and moving all over 1.5 hrs invested. Sweet, Thanks again Mike in Tucson
lannatwin
Level 3
Level 3

Post by lannatwin »

Nicely done. No problems at all on three different machines. Thank you very much.
DigitalJedi

Post by DigitalJedi »

I've been holding on till this release and I have not been disappointed. Good work guys. Excellent distro!
element

Post by element »

digitallysick wrote:I tried the dist upgrade from the rc but nothing happened, so I assume Im already updated. Its working great so far! Thanks to all, looking forward to a fluxbox and xfce version
same here
kmrdeva

Post by kmrdeva »

digitallysick wrote:I tried the dist upgrade from the rc but nothing happened, so I assume Im already updated. Its working great so far!
Same here too. I had the 'enable dist update' checkbox set for a week or so, and I remember that there were 2-3 updates a couple of days back. Other than that, I'm guessing that my installation has moved from RC to final edition. :)
rotum

Post by rotum »

try apt-get dist upgrade.
kmrdeva

Post by kmrdeva »

rotum wrote:try apt-get dist upgrade.
Thanks, 'sudo apt-get dist-upgrade' command found one item for upgrade - libssl0.9.8 openssl. Done.
Husse

Post by Husse »

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade is something to be careful with - only do that if you only have the correct repositories enabled
royalsefton

Post by royalsefton »

Though I wish the installer offered support for software RAID and LVM, Mint 7 x64 is otherwise the best distribution I have yet used. I am very pleased. Thank you so much!
Penguinclaw

Post by Penguinclaw »

Sorry, no mention of upgrading all the way from Elyssa. Your best bet maybe to just backup /home and do a fresh install. It's really not that tough.
I always prefer a fresh install with a new release. Make sure your home directory is backed up (I recommend Pybackpack) including those important to you hidden directories (ie .mozilla ). Doing this will probably also give you a nice speed increase!!! It's amazing how even Linux can get bogged down by useless junk!

I am personally new to Mint, but after a lightning upgrade from Ubuntu Jaunty to Gloria x64..... What a refreshing revelation.... I am convinced this distro is much faster. I was a little stuck with Ubuntu because other distros were a pain to configure my hardware.... Mint works like a dream, the forum seems much friendlier (very important in my books) and I love the out of the box colour and theme. Heck is it possible to be smitten with a distro...... :oops:
mmesantos1

Post by mmesantos1 »

Did fresh install. Great job oon the final! :D
nelamvr6
Level 4
Level 4

Post by nelamvr6 »

I am loving this one. It boots crazy fast! The graphics are just gorgeous!

I even went with EXT4 as my file system (did a clean install)... so far it's been great!

Return to “Releases & Announcements”