Newbie Alert! - VirtualBox (rc=1908) error [SOLVED]

Questions about virtualization software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
DekHog

Newbie Alert! - VirtualBox (rc=1908) error [SOLVED]

Post by DekHog »

OK (deep breath).....

Just downloaded and installed Mint on my Compaq Mini 311 - installation was faultless apart from no WiFi (that's a job for later). I really wanted VirtualBox to run XP, so tried a couple from the Oracle site without any luck - downloaded it (had to hard wire the laptop to the router) and the GUI using software centre, and it appeared to work. Created VM but it won't start giving the rc=1908 error.

Tried the command shown in the error box, /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup and just get 'command not found'

I've read a few posts and seen references to secure boot - there is no secure boot option in the BIOS of this laptop.

Stumped!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Newbie Alert! - VirtualBox (rc=1908) error

Post by Pierre »

at the current moment - - so am I as well.

ie: on an New PlayMachine that dual_boot's both LinuxMint-19/64 & win-10/64 & with secure-boot / UEFI / GPT partitioning .. ..
it seems that installing the VirtualBox is *not* exactly as straight-forward / as easy as things used to be.

that (rc=1908) error also leads into an quagmire that involves the signing of various Linux files:
https://stegard.net/2016/10/virtualbox- ... untu-fail/
in order for the VirtualBox to be able to compile itself to the Linux kernel - - if that also changes, then you start again.

the only way around this scenario is for me to reformat that HDD into MS-DOS mode partitioning :roll:
& that would actually work, but that's a lot of rework, in order to get an VirtualBox working on that machine.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Neither of you can disable secure boot? That's harsh. I don't mind secure boot but it should remain optional. It's more important on servers, anyway.

But yes, if you cannot disable it then signing your own kernel modules (and that includes the vbox drivers is the only other possibility), but if you cannot disable secure boot I have to question whether still have the possibility to register your own MOK key even. I know there are systems locked down like that.
DekHog

Post by DekHog »

I doubt secure boot is my issue. The laptop is old and doesn't have a UEFI BIOS.... little thing with an Intel Atom CPU.....
ajgringo619

Post by ajgringo619 »

If you're sure that Secure Boot is not the problem, then run these commands from the terminal and post the output:

Code: Select all

sudo modprobe vboxdrv
sudo dmesg | tail -30
DekHog

Post by DekHog »

ajgringo619 wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 12:01 pm If you're sure that Secure Boot is not the problem, then run these commands from the terminal and post the output:

Code: Select all

sudo modprobe vboxdrv
sudo dmesg | tail -30
First command.... modprobe: FATAL: Module vboxdrv not found.

I'm guessing there's no point in running the second one until that's sorted out?
ajgringo619

Post by ajgringo619 »

Are there any installation logs in /var/log that might show what happened during the building of the kernel modules?
DekHog

Post by DekHog »

OK it seems to be working. Downloaded the latest version of Mint, wiped the drive and installed it. Just loading XP now. Even got my WiFi working this time which saved a lot of hassle! 😀
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

got my New PlayMachine that dual_boot's both LinuxMint-19/64 & win-10/64
- - working as well :D

go back to the basics: ensure that both Secure Boot & Fast Start are Turned Off.
:mrgreen:
and then ensure that Virtualization is Turned On :)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Return to “Virtual Machines”