Color looks washed [help]

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
MagnusChases
Level 1
Level 1

Color looks washed [help]

Post by MagnusChases » Tue May 28, 2019 8:55 am

Hi. I am using a Samsung Expert NP 300E5K-KFWBR and I could not solve this problem properly(After many tries). The problem is that, compared to windows, the ICC profile that I had on windows doesn't work on Linux(with the same effect) and I can't change the color(saturation, gamma, contrast, brightness) properly(with the same configuration I had on windows). Do you stranger, have any idea how to solve this?

Thank you for your kind help.

Note: I could manage the colors on windows by changing the ICC or using the Intel's control panel(i don't think there is one similar in Linux).

Important question: Is there a way to change the color saturation on my laptop? Maybe a possible solution is to set RBG to full?9BUT HOW?)

Shiratori
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Color looks washed [help]

Post by Shiratori » Tue May 28, 2019 1:50 pm

Are you using Redshift by any chance? I found the display on my T430 looked washed out until I turned it off.

MagnusChases
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MagnusChases » Tue May 28, 2019 5:09 pm

No. It is by default(in any operating system). What I really want to know is if there is a way to change the display's saturation in Linux(I tried to fix the colors by reducing the gamma/contrast, but is very different from the window's(operating system) ICC color that I have).

michael-hi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by michael-hi » Thu May 30, 2019 3:52 pm

I have had problems with laptop screens looking very washed out - although that is probably because I have only ever bought cheap laptops! My main laptop is a Lenovo G50-30 which was great value but the screen colours were poor, and it had a distinct blueish tinge which was not likely to make anyone's holiday snaps look good.

I know nothing about screen calibration or anything like that, so there are probably more accurate ways of correcting this. However, my crude and simple solution was to adjust the "gamma" values (whatever they might be) because reducing these below the standard value of 1.0 certainly seems to beef the colours up and has the side effect of improving the contrast. Blacks are more black so that text is easier to read and by varying the relative values you can get red, green and blue more in balance.

So in the end I made my laptop screen look better by simply typing this in a terminal:

xgamma -rgamma 0.700 -ggamma 0.800 -bgamma 0.600

These figures were obtained by trial and error, made easier by the fact that any changes take effect instantly. To save inputting it again each time I started the computer, I added the command to autostart under Session and Startup. Some distros do not have the xgamma command but this may also work:

xrandr --output eDP1 --gamma 0.7:0.8:0.6

I have just spent the lavish sum of £129.99 on a new (smaller) Acer laptop from Argos. I will probably install Linux Mint on this too. Preliminary experiments while booting it with a Live USB suggest that the same xgamma formula may work on this one as well. Of course, each laptop is different but you could use these values as a starting point.

Petermint
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Petermint » Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:16 am

Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager: Search for color-manager. Install the Gnome color manager.
https://help.gnome.org/users/gnome-colo ... ux.html.en
1.5 MB download and 5 MB on disk.
preferences -> System settings -> Colour

Return to “Newbie Questions”