How to configure cinnamon panel calendar app font?

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon here
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
jackcq
Level 2
Level 2

How to configure cinnamon panel calendar app font?

Post by jackcq » Wed May 29, 2019 3:44 pm

Hi everyone,

I just migrated from Mint 18.2 to 19.1. I did a fresh a install and then copied over my home directory with all the settings. Everything worked very well, most of my desktop configuration works just the same on Mint 19.1 as it did before. That's important to me, because I have a very unique setup with the cinnamon panel vertically on the left side of the screen, to make the most out of my main monitor.

I only have one problem with the clock provided by the "calendar" app in the panel, because the font slightly smaller now, making it hard to read on a 27" screen. I admit, the difference is not much, but it makes all the difference in the world to me. Here's an image for comparism :

Does anyone have a clue where to configure the font & fontsize for the calendar app?

The configuration gui only allows to change the format and none of the font definitions seem to affect the calendar. The only thing that seems to work is increasing "text scaling factor" in general font settings, but that increases all the text (and even some icons like the toolbars in libre office). Thanks so much in advance.

smurphos
Level 13
Level 13

Re: How to configure cinnamon panel calendar app font?

Post by smurphos » Thu May 30, 2019 1:30 am

So prior to Cinnamon 4.0 users has the option to allow icons size and label font-size to scale with panel size or not. In Cinnamon 4.0 the devs revamped the panel to give users more fine grained control over icon sizes and overlooked (forgot!) to do the same for label font-size. Hopefully this omission will be addressed in Cinnamon 4.2.

In the meantime you can either play with font settings (setting text-scaling to a value > 1 and the rest of the font sizes a pt or two down compared to what would be comfortable at text scaling factor 1) or edit the desktop theme's cinnamon.css file to increase the hard-coded font size for applet labels.

If you want to try the latter let me know and confirm what theme you are using for the Cinnamon desktop theme and I'll talk you through the tweak.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

jackcq
Level 2
Level 2

Post by jackcq » Thu May 30, 2019 5:29 am

Hi,

the text-scaling value is not an option, I already tried that. I would have to set it to 1.6 at least and that's where the fonts everywhere else else get much too big. So, I gladly accept your offer to talk me through editing the cinnamon.css file :) I'm using Mint-Y-Dark for the Cinnamon desktop theme.

smurphos
Level 13
Level 13

Post by smurphos » Fri May 31, 2019 1:02 am

Hi,

Step 1 - Copy the folder /usr/share/themes/Mint-Y-Dark to ~/.themes/

You can do this with the File Manager or using the terminal with the command

Code: Select all

cp -r /usr/share/themes/Mint-Y-Dark ~/.themes/
Step 2 - Open the file ~/.themes/Mint-Y-Dark/cinnamon/cinnamon.css in a text editor

E.g. in a terminal

xed ~/.themes/Mint-Y-Dark/cinnamon/cinnamon.css
Step 3 - Locate the code block below - it's at line 1439...

.applet-label {
  font-weight: bold;
  color: #f0f0f0; }
and add a font-size declaration. font-size: 1em would leave the size unchanged, 1.2em scales up by 20% etc....

.applet-label {
  font-weight: bold;
  font-size: 1.2em;
  color: #f0f0f0; }
Save the file, and hit Ctrl-Alt-Esc to restart Cinnamon. Tweak and repeat until happy with the result.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

jackcq
Level 2
Level 2

Post by jackcq » Fri May 31, 2019 3:34 pm

Thank you so much. Worked like a charm with those detailed instructions. :D
I wouldn't have had the slightest clue how to find this on my own, especially
as the line in question doesn't even exist in the original file. How does someone
learn about things like that?

p.s. Also, I didn't need teak it more than once, since I already knew
from my earlier experiments with the text-scaling value that I need 1.6em :wink:

smurphos
Level 13
Level 13

Post by smurphos » Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:01 am

jackcq wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 3:34 pm
Thank you so much. Worked like a charm with those detailed instructions. :D
I wouldn't have had the slightest clue how to find this on my own, especially
as the line in question doesn't even exist in the original file. How does someone
learn about things like that?
You are welcome :)

I originally learn't about this stuff by trial and error - basically as I didn't like the shipped Mint Cinnamon themes much, was intrigued by other themes but eventually decided to make my own from scratch. Basically I like customising, often just for customising's sake. The fun is in the problem solving. :)

Return to “Cinnamon”