Can't stream audio reliably

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rldev

Can't stream audio reliably

Post by rldev »

I am having great difficulty streaming audio files via samba shares. I have mounted my Vista pc as a media share and can easily and quickly transfer files to both of my Mint laptops. However, audio keeps dropping out. It is unbearable. I have tried every media player, all with the same results. I have searched and searched to no avail. I have tweaked vista, smb.conf, yada yada.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Quake3DeathGod

Re: Can't stream audio reliably

Post by Quake3DeathGod »

wired or wireless network?
rldev

Post by rldev »

Quake3DeathGod wrote:wired or wireless network?
Wireless G

This is happening via wireless and wired. I have 2 different Mint 7 laptops plugged into same router as Vista Media Share. Everything dropping out. This is a core2duo laptop. This does not happen if I play a file directly off the laptops.

I have tried
Songbird
SmpLayer
Realplayer
Exaile
VLS
Totem

All the same.
Quake3DeathGod

Post by Quake3DeathGod »

Use your system monitor to see if its the cpu maxing out causing it to lag out on you, or if its the wifi disconnecting. Do you have enough ram to keep it from swapping to much? (start, administration, system monitor) You've already got one step closer than I have, I cant get two mint 7's to see each other. I do know that I can stream video from mint 7 to win xp. My network is wireless G, and it was having some of the same trouble you are suggesting. I had to change the channel on the router due to my cordless phones. It took me FOREVER to figure out when the kids made calls, my network went down. Just a non techie suggestion.
rldev

Post by rldev »

Quake3DeathGod wrote:Use your system monitor to see if its the cpu maxing out causing it to lag out on you, or if its the wifi disconnecting. Do you have enough ram to keep it from swapping to much? (start, administration, system monitor) You've already got one step closer than I have, I cant get two mint 7's to see each other. I do know that I can stream video from mint 7 to win xp. My network is wireless G, and it was having some of the same trouble you are suggesting. I had to change the channel on the router due to my cordless phones. It took me FOREVER to figure out when the kids made calls, my network went down. Just a non techie suggestion.
Unfortunately the problem is not wifi(I thought it was). I have the same problem with the Mint 7' pcs plugged right into the router. I can stream easily from the Vista box to other Windows PCs so the PC is not maxing out. Orb Live from this Vista box to my iphone works better. Imagine that!
rldev

Post by rldev »

OK now I setup Mint 7 on my Vista machine. Wired or wireless audio playback is just as bad if not worse.

Return to “Sound”