[SOLVED]How to install Linux mint

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Ayush29700

[SOLVED]How to install Linux mint

Post by Ayush29700 »

Please tell me how to install Linux mint cinnamon on a new laptop with dos operating system.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Re: How to install Linux mint

Post by JerryF »

You can find documentation here:

https://www.linuxmint.com/documentation.php
Rocky Bennett
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Rocky Bennett »

You have a brand new laptop that running DOS? What version of DOS and what are the specs of the laptop?
Ayush29700

Post by Ayush29700 »

Rocky Bennett wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:08 pm You have a brand new laptop that running DOS? What version of DOS and what are the specs of the laptop?
Yes,
Intel core i3 7th generation 4GB ddr4 ram 1TB HDD
Rocky Bennett
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Rocky Bennett »

With specs like that you should be able to just download Linux Mint, put it on a USB stick and plug it in and fire it up.

Why just 4 gb of RAM? Memory is so cheap that even my old PCs have 16 gb of RAM and the new one that I am building has 32 gb.
Rocky Bennett
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Rocky Bennett »

Just a quick note to my above comments. I very recently put together an old laptop for my Grandson as a little play note book. It is a 10 year old HP that came with just 4 gb of RAM. First I installed Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.1 and the old laptop was a bit sluggish. After I played with it for awhile and was very disappointed in its performance I tried out Mint Xfce. That old laptop really worked nicely with Xfce.

So my advice is if you are stuck with just 4 gb of RAM you should try Xfce. It is a lightweight version of Linux Mint that works well in minimal systems.
RIH
Level 9
Level 9

Post by RIH »

I would think that a 7th. generation i3 (2 years old) with 4 GB RAM would run Cinnamon 19.1 with no issues.

I don't know where the OP is from. but, in SE Asia, it is not unusual to buy equipment with NO operating system.
DOS is a bonus.. :D
AscLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by AscLinux »

Rocky Bennett wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:26 pm With specs like that you should be able to just download Linux Mint, put it on a USB stick and plug it in and fire it up.

Why just 4 gb of RAM? Memory is so cheap that even my old PCs have 16 gb of RAM and the new one that I am building has 32 gb.
First, it is not gb (gram-bars), it is GB (gigabytes).
Second, no car goes faster when you add 8 or 16 wheels to it. In particular with laptops not needed RAM will consume power which will result in increased heat and shorten battery life. Installing 32 GB of RAM which will never used is silly at least, even if it is a desktop.
Master Foo Discourses on GUI.
First Linux 1997. Last Windows 2004.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

Ayush29700 wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:34 pm
Rocky Bennett wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:08 pm You have a brand new laptop that running DOS? What version of DOS and what are the specs of the laptop?
Yes,
Intel core i3 7th generation 4GB ddr4 ram 1TB HDD
in some cases, where you've purchased an New Machine:
- but you've Decline the Offer to Install Microsoft Windows on your New Machine
then your supplier will Test that New Machine with an DOS based Testing Method.
:o
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Rocky Bennett
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Rocky Bennett »

^^^ Ahh yes. Now I understand about that DOS system. Thanks.
jglen490

Post by jglen490 »

Actually, for an install, it makes no difference if the target machine has dos 5.0, windows 3.1, windows 10, dr.dos, or any other OS. If the PC or laptop is capable of accommodating Linux, the install can be and should be the same. The only possible impact is the presence of UEFI, and even then it depends on the manufacturer's implementation of UEFI, and may not be problematic.

Make sure the PC/laptop can boot a USB device, insert the USB device with the Live/install files, reboot, and watch the magic happen. The user gets to decide what to do, how to move aroound the Live presentation, install Mint, and the options to install.

Other than doing research on the hardware/firmware to determine any impediments, workarounds, firmware adjustments, the install is fairly simple and will likely be routine.

In my experience with both my old laptop (BIOS) and my not so old desktop (UEFI), the only difference was setting Secure Boot off/disabled in the desktop firmware - and that probably didn't need to be done. Everything else was paying attention to screens and options and knowing the differences between BIOS boot and UEFI boot processes.

The Mint install document covers all this pretty well.

Return to “Beginner Questions”