(Solved) Xorg Problems

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Shadow in Fire
Level 2
Level 2

(Solved) Xorg Problems

Post by Shadow in Fire »

I've been having issues with Xorg randomly bloating up and slowing down in terms of performance, likely triggered by a service. I'm using GNU/Linux Mint 18.3 (same as Ubuntu 16.04) and my WM is Xfwm4 (with Compton).

I'm tired of having to restart Xorg every other minute. I'm not sure what's going on, but whenever I refresh my desktop and notice the text of the icons have a shade glitch display, I know something happened. I've tried switching my WM to Compiz, but no dice. Any help?

I suspect one of these might be the culprit:

Code: Select all

redacted
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
cottfcfan
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Xorg Problems

Post by cottfcfan »

Might be an obvious thing, but have you made sure that the compositor in Window Manager Tweaks is turned off, before you change your window manager, otherwise you will have 2 compositors enabled and conflicting.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

I wouldn't assume it's a wm or compositor issue but there's no useful info there. Copy/paste this to the terminal and copy/paste the text output here (no screenshots plz):

inxi -Fxz
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Shadow in Fire
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Shadow in Fire »

Here it is:

redacted
Last edited by Shadow in Fire on Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

I said to post the whole output not just the gpu related stuff.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Shadow in Fire
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Shadow in Fire »

Sorry. Here's the output:

redacted
Last edited by Shadow in Fire on Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

I'd assume this isn't related to your issue, but this looks weird ID-1: / size: 109.91 GiB used: 90.51 GiB (82.4%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sdc1

90GiB used for / when you have a separate /home partition? Might that be because of RAID mode? Or Timeshift?
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

That's a rather old gpu, you're using the right driver. Try disabling the eye candy/compositing. The simplest way to do that in Xfce is to go to settings > desktop settings > wiindows. Then left click the popup menu and select 'Xfwm4'.
Shadow in Fire
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Shadow in Fire »

MrEen wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:35 amI'd assume this isn't related to your issue, but this looks weird ID-1: / size: 109.91 GiB used: 90.51 GiB (82.4%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sdc1

90GiB used for / when you have a separate /home partition? Might that be because of RAID mode? Or Timeshift?
I keep Timeshift data in that partition.
Hoser Rob wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:05 amThat's a rather old gpu, you're using the right driver. Try disabling the eye candy/compositing. The simplest way to do that in Xfce is to go to settings > desktop settings > wiindows. Then left click the popup menu and select 'Xfwm4'.
I do have a Radeon that works with the machine, but there's not enough room inside the casing for it to "breathe" properly. In other words, it heats up rather frequently, even on idle (because of the included fan).
Shadow in Fire
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Shadow in Fire »

After nearly a month of no replies since my last one, I can safely confirm this issue has been solved. It's correct that a simple fix would be upgrading my GPU, as I was using a much older one. Not experiencing that issue anymore, although I will look more into the possibilities of Xorg memory leaks.

Thanks.

Return to “Xfce”