Yet another "How do I mount..." question

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
markfilipak
Level 6
Level 6

Yet another "How do I mount..." question

Post by markfilipak »

Mint 18, Cinnamon 3.0.7 running as a VM guest.

I have created a virtual HD in VBox. I launched Mint and now need to mount it & format it so I can copy a portable app to the new drive. My 'tools' are Nemo & the stuff in the Cinnamon Menu. How do I do it?

With Regards, Mark.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deck_luck
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Yet another "How do I mount..." question

Post by deck_luck »

Most new users will use the "disks" utility. It is a graphical user interface disk managment tool.
🐧Linux Mint 20.3 XFCE (UEFI - Secure Boot Enabled) dual boot with Windows 11

Give a friend a fish, and you feed them for a day. Teach a friend how to fish, and you feed them for a lifetime. ✝️
markfilipak
Level 6
Level 6

Post by markfilipak »

deck_luck wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:00 pm Most new users will use the "disks" utility. It is a graphical user interface disk managment tool.
I know of no such tool. Synaptic knows of no such tool. Can you tell me more?
gittiest personITW
Level 12
Level 12

Post by gittiest personITW »

In start menu,
type in disks
and it comes up - amazingly handy for us new users
markfilipak
Level 6
Level 6

Post by markfilipak »

Start menu? I believe you're in the wrong forum. Microsoft is down the street.
gittiest personITW
Level 12
Level 12

Post by gittiest personITW »

:oops:
Me? using MS? never.
Well, OK, up till a week ago maybe.

Press the little menu button that starts things. What can we call it?
The thing menu.
markfilipak
Level 6
Level 6

Post by markfilipak »

gittiest personITW wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:39 pm... What can we call it?
Supposing that Cinnamon is your desktop manager, "Cinnamon Menu".
deck_luck
Level 7
Level 7

Post by deck_luck »

You can search for "gnome-disk-utility" in the Synaptic Package Manager. The utility's name is disks.

Give a friend a fish, and you feed them for a day. Teach a friend how to fish, and you feed them for a lifetime. ✝️
markfilipak
Level 6
Level 6

Post by markfilipak »

deck_luck wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:50 pm You can search for "gnome-disk-utility" in the Synaptic Package Manager. The utility's name is disks.
Thank you. It was already installed, but of course I had no way to know that since it goes by 3 different names -- don't you just love Linux chaos? I think you would also find 'gparted' useful ... perhaps more useful.

PS: Actually, 'gnome-disk-utility' is named 'gnome-disks'.
deck_luck
Level 7
Level 7

Post by deck_luck »

For a new user both utilities are useful. If somebody ask how to perform disk management, I refer them the disks utility, because it is more useful for a new user. Most newer users are from the Windows or MAC world, and they are accustom to using a graphical user interface.

Personally, I use the fdisk utility from the terminal, but I would never expect a new or less skilled Linux user to do that. If somebody ask how to do disk management I will always assume this type of Linux skill set.

Linux Mint is no more chaotic than any other operating system. I have been involved with CP/M, HDOS, MSDOS, Windows, Coherent, DGUX, HPUX, AIX, and RHEL. They all have a learning curve, and none of them will be perfect for everybody. If you come in to a new operating system with the wrong attitude you will most likely leave with that attitude.

markfilipak
Level 6
Level 6

Post by markfilipak »

deck_luck wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:24 pm... CP/M, HDOS, MSDOS, Windows, Coherent, DGUX, HPUX, AIX, and RHEL ...
For me, add VM386, SCO, Minix, VAX, IBM360 SPL, HP3000 PL1, and Intel, Motorola, and various other microprocessors and cores.

Linux is not housebroken and will not be housebroken until Linus stops playing with kernels and starts leading (which will be never).
oldgranola
Level 5
Level 5

Post by oldgranola »

deck_luck wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:24 pm For a new user both utilities are useful. If somebody ask how to perform disk management, I refer them the disks utility, because it is more useful for a new user. Most newer users are from the Windows or MAC world, and they are accustom to using a graphical user interface.

Personally, I use the fdisk utility from the terminal, but I would never expect a new or less skilled Linux user to do that. If somebody ask how to do disk management I will always assume this type of Linux skill set.

Linux Mint is no more chaotic than any other operating system. I have been involved with CP/M, HDOS, MSDOS, Windows, Coherent, DGUX, HPUX, AIX, and RHEL. They all have a learning curve, and none of them will be perfect for everybody. If you come in to a new operating system with the wrong attitude you will most likely leave with that attitude.
Actually, its pretty good for everybody. Otherwise you have to manually edit /etc/fstab which if you don't know what you are doing can be problematic
comadore, pcDOS, hpux, solaris, vms-vax ....blah blah blah..
Yet I'm still a fn nooob
markfilipak
Level 6
Level 6

Post by markfilipak »

deck_luck wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:24 pm For a new user both utilities are useful. If somebody ask how to perform disk management, I refer them the disks utility, because it is more useful for a new user. Most newer users are from the Windows or MAC world, and they are accustom to using a graphical user interface.
You are thinking of 'parted'. What I recommended is 'gparted'. Gparted is a GUI application that's quite a good clone of Partition Magic.
deck_luck
Level 7
Level 7

Post by deck_luck »

I meant exactly what I stated which had nothing do with parted. Please do not misrepresent me.

deck_luck
Level 7
Level 7

Post by deck_luck »

markfilipak wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:43 pm
Linux is not housebroken and will not be housebroken until Linus stops playing with kernels and starts leading (which will be never).
If you are so unhappy with Linux, maybe you should develop your own kernel.

markfilipak
Level 6
Level 6

Post by markfilipak »

deck_luck wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:58 amI meant exactly what I stated which had nothing do with parted. Please do not misrepresent me.
Howdy,

My mistake. When you stated that people prefer a GUI app (me, too), I thought you were rejecting 'gparted' as a CLI app, so I thought you were confusing it with 'parted' ...people do confuse them. I meant no offense.

Regarding Linux happiness, I'm not unhappy with Linux, per se. I'm unhappy that Linux developers care so little about usability. I've become convinced over the years that the developers don't want Linux to become mainstream. But I trust that will change now that Microsoft is involved.

Return to “Beginner Questions”