Hi - it me! - [SOLVED]

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Please don't post tech support questions here
Birger52
Level 1
Level 1

Hi - it me! - [SOLVED]

Post by Birger52 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:23 pm

I'm 67, retired (and tired - but thats something else).
Been working with electronics web and some programming since midt '80es.
Often wondered about linux, but never got around to try it for seriously - 'till now.

Tried Ubuntu a while back, and found it to be harassing users that were/are accustomed to Windoze - close buttons left instead of right f.ex..
So gave up on it. Didn't really have the time then, either. So starting out wasting time on things that are made different with no other purpose than making things different, didn't make much sense.

Now somebody gave me this olderly thingie - DELL Vostro 1700 - with Windows Vista installed.
Some glitches, and problems in Vista never solved.
Limited usability - Not even browsing was satisfactory.
There is not really any purpose, with another PC.
I'm playing a game called Guild Wars with my wife, so I figured if I could get GW to run on this thing, it would be more fun, as we could be playing together, sitting next to each other in the same room - which we can't with our regular PC's.
But Vista can not run GW on this...

So why not give Ubuntu another try?
And well - the distribution I got was running even slower than Vista, without doing anything at all.
Someone suggested Mint.
Mint 19 with Xcfe (I think - have no idea where to look for version info... and updating seems to update debian, a lot of ubuntu and very little or no Mint...) (tried another desktop at first - also slower than Vista on this thing).
Better - tho not as good as hoped for.
Installed Vine and BW - and it is actually better than Vista.
So far, so good.
Now, we also have a couple of projects going on, in the browser, the wife and I.
So if we can get this thing to work with the files - primarily images - on the other PC's on the net, It would make some other things more fun and easier as well...
But it is definately not easy to connect to the existing network - have a couple of questions about that. Did find some explanations online - not any, that was able to make me understand how it is actually supposed to be done, or gave me any success trying to include this DELL in the network, or access the other PC's from here.
(Saw somewhere, that Samba is included - but it is not. May be version 18 that includes it. Not that it matters - it not functioning anyway...)
FireFox is almost as fast as my regular PC.
Then Mint started disconnecting wireless net. And it has to be wireless - there are no cables available here - and it refuses to reconnect.
(And no - 4 other PC's, 2 wireless IOT's (DVD box with a.o. Netflix and a wireless repeater), 1 tablet and 2 phones has no problems, so its not the 'net but Mint, that has a problem.)
Reboot, and it connects again. For a while - then jumps off, and refuses to connect.
Reinstalled from scratch - and the same thing happened.
I started looking at what else is in this distribution..
And there's quite a lot of probably very well written programs and whatsnots, I have absolutely no need for - and it seems, the advice given elsewhere, to simply update everything the system want to update, gathers more and more unneeded and unwanted stuff.
So I reinstalled again from scratch - and before updating from the ISO, I removed basically everything that is not obviously a part of OS - except FireFox.
Updating want to install ao. some weather thingies!
Well - I'm sitting next to a window, and I don't really need to know how Mint sees the weather outside. If I need it, or want to know, I look out the window. (and I do not really care about the weather anywhere else. If I do, I can find it online...)
So it is definately not all updates that are essential...
I also remove bluetooth, and disabled it.
I removed LibreOffice. 8 (or thereabout) other texteditors, 4 different file-managing interfaces, a couple of chat-programs I wouldn't dream of using ... and quite a bunch of other stuff.
I would like to remove camera driver(s) - camera is blinded, and there really is no need to load drivers and have them wasting CPU and memory. But I have no idea how to do that. (LED blink when booting, so it does load drivers)
I would love to be able to disable mousepad on here as well - i have to have a couple of pieces of paper lying over it, to be able to write on the keybord, without cursor and caret chacing each other all over the screen, and my letters doesn't add up to words, nor words to understandable sentences. How to do that (disable mousepad) is a secret as well.
Seems I at one time found a setting to disable it - and I did disable it. It just didn't disable the mousepad...
But otherwise, I now have a OS that is functioning. Even the wireless connection, seems to be persistent....

There are some "problems", - I'll direct them elsewhere in the forum - like shutting down, does not shut down but log out - and logging in again, only half the system is apparently running - wireless net a.o. is not.

Anyway - that's me, and that's why I'm here...
Last edited by Birger52 on Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iain_33
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Hi - it me!

Post by iain_33 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:52 pm

Hello Birger52,

I haven't got a clue about network problems, but you may catch one of the forum's gurus attention posting in the Networking section.

You can't remove drivers as they're built into the kernel, but you can disable your webcam by blacklisting the driver. In the terminal enter xed admin:///etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf, add the line blacklist uvcvideo to the end, then save, exit and reboot.

To disable the mousepad - go to the menu > settings > mouse & touchpad, select your touchpad from the drop-down list, then un-tick "Enable this device", that should do the trick.
Linux Mint 19.1 MATE (64 bit) on a HP G70 laptop (circa 2008)
Intel Pentium Dual Core T3400 @ 2.16GHz -- 3GB RAM -- 1TB HDD
Intel Mobile 4 Series graphics -- Intel 82801I audio
Atheros AR242x/AR542x wireless network adapter

RollyShed
Level 2
Level 2

Post by RollyShed » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:03 pm

Extra RAM might help, it will take up to 4GB DDR2. I switch the mousepad off on all our laptops, as Iain says, via the Systems Settings menu.

Moem
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Moem » Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:11 am

Birger52 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:23 pm
And there's quite a lot of probably very well written programs and whatsnots, I have absolutely no need for - and it seems, the advice given elsewhere, to simply update everything the system want to update, gathers more and more unneeded and unwanted stuff.
Not true... many updates are security related, and since your machine is connected to the internet, they are not at all unneeded. Also, generally, updates replace stuff, they do not add to it.
Birger52 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:23 pm
I removed LibreOffice. 8 (or thereabout) other texteditors, 4 different file-managing interfaces, a couple of chat-programs I wouldn't dream of using ... and quite a bunch of other stuff.
I hope you've kept an eye on dependencies. Removing essential stuff when you're trying to remove things that you don't need is a great way to break your system.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21

Post by WharfRat » Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:17 pm

Hello Birger52 Image

Welcome to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint forum :)
ImageImage

Birger52
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Birger52 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:19 pm

Hi.

I was planning to ask questions in relevant sections of the forum ;)
But thank you for the answers.

Blacklisted camera as suggested.
It appears to be doing what it should.
A little puzzled tho - in doing so, I see usbmouse is blacklisted by default. But my mouse in the USB port is functioning just fine...
Removing the touchpad through settings is not possible - it is simply not listed.
But my mouse is listed there, and disabling/enabling it from there, is functioning - tho not really usefull, as I do not want to disable it...

Seem to be some misunderstanding:
After removing not needed software, the wireless connection is functioning just great - but I couldn't get Samba functioning to connect to other PC on my local net.
Moem wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:11 am
Birger52 wrote: ⤴
Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:23 pm

Not true... many updates are security related, and since your machine is connected to the internet, they are not at all unneeded. Also, generally, updates replace stuff, they do not add to it.
I believe that, as it would make sense. ;)
The number of menu items was rising with every update - but isn't after I removed unwanted software. But there may be other reason for that...
Weather libs and plugins stay on updates list - and is now accompanied by a geocoding update, which is also something I will never need on the portable thingie...
I figure, they are probably updates for something that is already in my system.
Will need to figure out how to remove the originals then..

Seems like there are more questions - will ask them in forum where they belong, and mark this "introduction to me" as solved.

Greencedar
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Hi - it me! - [SOLVED]

Post by Greencedar » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:54 am

Welcome to the world of Mint Birger52! :)
Greencedar

bob466
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Hi - it me! - [SOLVED]

Post by bob466 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:53 am

Welcome to the Forum Image

A lot has changed over the years for the better...unfortunately the same can't be said of Windoze Image as many people now know. :lol: that's why Linux Mint is so good. Image :lol: :lol:
Linux For Ever...Windoze Never Image

Return to “Introduce yourself”