Does this forum have any ...

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
kamie
Level 3
Level 3

Does this forum have any ...

Post by kamie »

Woodworkers?
Open chat and all thought I'd ask. We dabble in it and love it. We finished up our custom cabinets last year with solid red oak doors.Was so proud to build them ourselves. Was watching this tonight. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAe2kIVJ0QI Because my husband finally order me the lathe I've been wanting. Not sure I could pull off the bowl in the video till I'm 80. Look forward to trying though.
Kamie
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Linux Mint 19.1 Cinnamon
Version 4.0.10
Kernel 4.15.0-54-generic
Processor AMD A12-9720P RADEON R7, 12 COMPUTE CORES 4C+8G × 2
Graphics Card Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Wani [Radeon R5/R6/R7 Graphics]
Levonvo idea Pad320
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Does this forum have any..................

Post by RollyShed »

kamie wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:25 pm Woodworkers?
Open chat and all thought I'd ask. We dabble in it and love it.....I Because my husband finally order me the lathe I've been wanting. Not sure I could pull off the bowl in the video till I'm 80. Look forward to trying though.
Kamie
My "RollyShed" is actually because of the Men's Shed which only runs Mint, I made sure of that, and has 2 wood lathes and all the rest of the woodworking machinery anyone might need. We also have a metalwork section for those who want to get their hands dirty... I apologise, we are in the wrong country for you. Assembling cabinets? Yes, often done by members.
kamie
Level 3
Level 3

Post by kamie »

RollyShed wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:11 pm
kamie wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:25 pm Woodworkers?
Open chat and all thought I'd ask. We dabble in it and love it.....I Because my husband finally order me the lathe I've been wanting. Not sure I could pull off the bowl in the video till I'm 80. Look forward to trying though.
Kamie
My "RollyShed" is actually because of the Men's Shed which only runs Mint, I made sure of that, and has 2 wood lathes and all the rest of the woodworking machinery anyone might need. We also have a metalwork section for those who want to get their hands dirty... I apologise, we are in the wrong country for you. Assembling cabinets? Yes, often done by members.
Rollyshed,

Wrong country? Not sure what you mean by that?
Linux Mint 19.1 Cinnamon
Version 4.0.10
Kernel 4.15.0-54-generic
Graphics Card Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Wani [Radeon R5/R6/R7 Graphics]
Levonvo idea Pad320
mediclaser
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Does this forum have any ...

Post by mediclaser »

Wood? There are only two types of wood I'm interested in -- balsa wood (for RC planes) and ebony (for butterfly knife handles and martial art sticks). ;)
If you're looking for a greener Linux pasture, you won't find any that is greener than Linux Mint. ;)
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

kamie wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:25 pm my husband finally order me the lathe I've been wanting.
Congratulations, fellow crafter! I'm not much onto woodworking, but I did make this toilet paper holder:
wcrolhouder1.jpg
Normally I make all kinds of stuff from other stuff. Lately I'm really into circuit board and epoxy resin, especially in combination.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
kamie
Level 3
Level 3

Post by kamie »

Moem wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:33 pm
kamie wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:25 pm my husband finally order me the lathe I've been wanting.
Congratulations, fellow crafter! I'm not much onto woodworking, but I did make this toilet paper holder:

wcrolhouder1.jpg

Normally I make all kinds of stuff from other stuff. Lately I'm really into circuit board and epoxy resin, especially in combination.
Pretty nice job there. How would I go about posting a photo? Since photo bucket went paid, I no longer have a hosting site set up.
Linux Mint 19.1 Cinnamon
Version 4.0.10
Kernel 4.15.0-54-generic
Levonvo idea Pad320
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

kamie wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:43 pm
Moem wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:33 pm

wcrolhouder1.jpg

Pretty nice job there. How would I go about posting a photo? Since photo bucket went paid, I no longer have a hosting site set up.
I use imgur. I use that for static and animated image hosting.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

kamie wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:43 pm Pretty nice job there. How would I go about posting a photo? Since photo bucket went paid, I no longer have a hosting site set up.
Thanks! I uploaded it as an attachment, there's a file size limit but it's reasonable, as you can see.
Imgur, as said, is another good option (no account needed). Once the image is online, you can post the URL to the image itself (not the entire page, just the image) inside [rimg][/rimg] tags and it'll show up directly in your posting.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
kamie
Level 3
Level 3

Post by kamie »

Thanks everyone, lets see if this works.
Yeah it did. This was just one bathroom and not a great photo but we did the entire house like this. Solid oak counter tops that will milled ourselves as well.

Last edited by kamie on Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Linux Mint 19.1 Cinnamon
Version 4.0.10
Kernel 4.15.0-54-generic
Levonvo idea Pad320
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Whoa, that's high quality stuff right there! :o

stormryder

Post by stormryder »

I'm a carpenter by trade, mostly residential housing, sometimes quite nice, here is the latest project I've been working on.
click to enlarge
Very fun project I like timber framing, feel like I did a fairly good job with the layout and cuts on that truss.
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

kamie wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:40 pm Wrong country? Not sure what you mean by that?
Are you in New Zealand's South Island? No? Well wrong country to use our machinery.
However you might find one in countries such as Australia (where they really started), Great Britain, Ireland and Canada.
kamie
Level 3
Level 3

Post by kamie »

stormryder wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:51 pm I'm a carpenter by trade, mostly residential housing, sometimes quite nice, here is the latest project I've been working on.
click to enlarge
Very fun project I like timber framing, feel like I did a fairly good job with the layout and cuts on that truss.
That's beautiful!!!! Any chance I can get the visual tour? Any chance it is for sell in Missouri? :mrgreen:
Seriously that just is something to stare at. Hope it is setting close to a lake or pond?
The best show on TV is https://www.diynetwork.com/shows/barnwood-builders in my humble opinion. I hate all the modern stuff, much prefer the look of old used wood.
Just today we finished up a cedar wood door for our cellar, we took some really old cedar, planed it down, jointed it, glued it, and I put 3 coat of tung oil on it today. https://www.realmilkpaint.com/shop/oils ... chinawood/ I'm no selling it, just putting it out there. It turned out so pretty.
Linux Mint 19.1 Cinnamon
Version 4.0.10
Kernel 4.15.0-54-generic
Levonvo idea Pad320
kamie
Level 3
Level 3

Post by kamie »

Moem wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:45 pm Whoa, that's high quality stuff right there! :o

Thanks we make mistakes along the way, but they where a 150 precent improvement from what we started from.
Linux Mint 19.1 Cinnamon
Version 4.0.10
Kernel 4.15.0-54-generic
Levonvo idea Pad320
kamie
Level 3
Level 3

Post by kamie »

RollyShed wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:06 pm
kamie wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:40 pm Wrong country? Not sure what you mean by that?
Are you in New Zealand's South Island? No? Well wrong country to use our machinery.
However you might find one in countries such as Australia (where they really started), Great Britain, Ireland and Canada.
My apologies, I honestly had no idea that you where talking about machines to purchase. I'm pretty sure you couldn't get some of our stuff either, and it really sucks. From what I hear you can't even get a daddo blade?
Linux Mint 19.1 Cinnamon
Version 4.0.10
Kernel 4.15.0-54-generic
Levonvo idea Pad320
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

kamie wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:33 pm My apologies, I honestly had no idea that you where talking about machines to purchase.
Kamie, from what I hear, a 'men's shed' means a shared workshop in some necks of the wood. The name would put me off, but hey, to each their own.

stormryder

Post by stormryder »

kamie wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:26 pm That's beautiful!!!! Any chance I can get the visual tour? Any chance it is for sell in Missouri? :mrgreen:
Seriously that just is something to stare at. Hope it is setting close to a lake or pond?
Thanks, sadly my action cam has too much fisheye distortion to be of much good inside.
There is a small stream on the lot that borders state land in a gorgeous valley nestled between the Swan and Mission mountain ranges in western Montana. I doubt owners would sell it though.
kamie wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:26 pm Just today we finished up a cedar wood door for our cellar, we took some really old cedar, planed it down, jointed it, glued it, and I put 3 coat of tung oil on it today.
That's great, I love that look too, some of my favorite projects have been remodels on log cabins that were built near the lakes around here a hundred years ago.
Very fine work on those cabinets by the way, I really like the oak counter top and those doors are beautiful, awesome colors.
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

kamie wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:33 pm My apologies, I honestly had no idea that you where talking about machines to purchase. I'm pretty sure you couldn't get some of our stuff either, and it really sucks. From what I hear you can't even get a daddo blade?
No, we're not purchasing anything and I didn't say we were. As for dado blades in New Zealand (there will be other suppliers) -
http://www.linbide.co.nz/product.php?c=22
Enough from there?
I would be exceptionally surprised if there was any machinery we could not get or don't already have. If something odd is needed we'll invent it, design it and sell it to the world - that's what we often do. From jetboats to rockets for NASA.

Men's Sheds were originally set up in Australia and have spread. Some have female members. Australia goes on about "men's health" but as far as we are concerned we do community jobs, personal jobs, teach the use of machinery, wood and metal, provide the tools and the expertise. Our one has a couple of students once a week from the local High School, coming to get experience. Our one also has a computer section, as do others, sort out computer problems by installing Linux Mint, teach members how to use a computer (got one filing his DVDs, 500+ on a spreadsheet LibreOffice of course).

Our meeting room is also used by other organisations, computing, yoga, garden club, etc. a community facility.

However the most important part of it all is 10.00 a.m., cuppa time (for those who don't know English it is the time at which a group have a drink of tea or coffee, a biscuit and a yarn (yarn - talk, tell stories, natter)).
kamie
Level 3
Level 3

Post by kamie »

stormryder wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:12 pm
kamie wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:26 pm That's beautiful!!!! Any chance I can get the visual tour? Any chance it is for sell in Missouri? :mrgreen:
Thanks, sadly my action cam has too much fisheye distortion to be of much good inside.
There is a small stream on the lot that borders state land in a gorgeous valley nestled between the Swan and Mission mountain ranges in western Montana. I doubt owners would sell it though.
kamie wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:26 pm Just today we finished up a cedar wood door for our cellar, we took some really old cedar, planed it down, jointed it, glued it, and I put 3 coat of tung oil on it today.
That's great, I love that look too, some of my favorite projects have been remodels on log cabins that were built near the lakes around here a hundred years ago.
Very fine work on those cabinets by the way, I really like the oak counter top and those doors are beautiful, awesome colors.
Thanks.
Just damn on the owners though!!! How greedy to save up, hire a professional, and keep it!!! :lol:
I want out of here when we retire, just not sure I could handle the Northern states temps. It's bad enough here in Missouri in the winter.
Linux Mint 19.1 Cinnamon
Version 4.0.10
Kernel 4.15.0-54-generic
Levonvo idea Pad320
kamie
Level 3
Level 3

Post by kamie »

RollyShed wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:46 pm
kamie wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:33 pm My apologies, I honestly had no idea that you where talking about machines to purchase. I'm pretty sure you couldn't get some of our stuff either, and it really sucks. From what I hear you can't even get a daddo blade?
No, we're not purchasing anything and I didn't say we were. As for dado blades in New Zealand (there will be other suppliers) -
http://www.linbide.co.nz/product.php?c=22
Enough from there?
I would be exceptionally surprised if there was any machinery we could not get or don't already have. If something odd is needed we'll invent it, design it and sell it to the world - that's what we often do. From jetboats to rockets for NASA.

Men's Sheds were originally set up in Australia and have spread. Some have female members. Australia goes on about "men's health" but as far as we are concerned we do community jobs, personal jobs, teach the use of machinery, wood and metal, provide the tools and the expertise. Our one has a couple of students once a week from the local High School, coming to get experience. Our one also has a computer section, as do others, sort out computer problems by installing Linux Mint, teach members how to use a computer (got one filing his DVDs, 500+ on a spreadsheet LibreOffice of course).

Our meeting room is also used by other organisations, computing, yoga, garden club, etc. a community facility.

However the most important part of it all is 10.00 a.m., cuppa time (for those who don't know English it is the time at which a group have a drink of tea or coffee, a biscuit and a yarn (yarn - talk, tell stories, natter)).
If I've offended you in anyway, I am most sorry. Please understand, I only speak English and have never been blessed enough to travel the world. As Moem said, "Kamie, from what I hear, a 'men's shed' means a shared workshop in some necks of the wood. The name would put me off, but hey, to each their own."
So please understand, I just didn't understand the term you used there.
Lets try this again, would it be okay if I PM'ed you at some point?
Linux Mint 19.1 Cinnamon
Version 4.0.10
Kernel 4.15.0-54-generic
Levonvo idea Pad320

Return to “Open Chat”