Has anyone played around with MX Linux?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Glockdoc
Level 2
Level 2

Has anyone played around with MX Linux?

Post by Glockdoc »

Saw the post about distro watch, doesn't really influence my interest, but

MX seems to be way easier to navigate and more customizable. Does anyone have MX and Mint? Likes/dislikes for both?

Mint sure appears much more polished, but, from my reading, MX seems to operate more smoothly and be an easier distro for newbies. I have been using Mint for almost 3 years. Permanently kicked Windows out of bed almost 2 years ago and love it.

Curiosity has me now.............
kjm69

Re: Has anyone played around with MX Linux?

Post by kjm69 »

I use it as my main computer and is far better than mint which i use on a ex drive.
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HaveaMint »

"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".
gm10

Post by gm10 »

MX is one of my fav distros. If you're looking for a lightweight debian-based distro it gets my recommendation. I'm not sure what you mean by "more customizable" though, it's Xfce so just install Linux Mint Xfce edition for the same desktop with the same capabilities.
Glockdoc
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Glockdoc »

Well, I discovered you can install Mint XFCE alongside Cinnamon, so that is what I did.

I will play around with it and see which one I like better then maybe play with MX, although I am not far enough into my linux journey to understand why 1 would be better than the other.

Thanks for the replies!! That is definitely one of the best things about Linux!

JC
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

YEP - - sure have - - it's currently installed on Two of my PCs
8)
it's an Nice System & fairly lightweight - considering the Age of those Two Older PCs of mine.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Glockdoc wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:32 am Mint sure appears much more polished, but, from my reading, MX seems to operate more smoothly and be an easier distro for newbies.
I cannot agree. MX is quite workable, and on very low end hardware it's probably the better choice. But it cannot be considered to be the easier choice for newcomers. Scratch the shiny surface, and you'll soon be confronted with the command line. For most newcomers, that would be a turnoff.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
151tom
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 151tom »

Last edited by 151tom on Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Last year we said, 'Things can't go on like this', and they didn't, they got worse.
[Will Rogers]

There are two theories to arguing with a woman. Neither works.
[Will Rogers]
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

I avoided MX linux because of the name of its first "Primary Team Leader".
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

MX has one of the best communities on the Internet, going back to the days of SimplyMEPIS. I use it as well as Mint.
If you like Xfce you will like MX. It's configured nicely and MX Package Installer is quite handy. The installer is not bad and will be even better with next major release.
Glockdoc
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Glockdoc »

I created a live USB and holy hell, it is blazing fast compared to Mint on my set up.....i3 w 4g of ram on an Acer all in one. I expect a full install will be even faster.

Now, being a somewhat thinking man, I wonder is is because it is a fresh install without all my programs added or just works well with my machine. I will find out sometime this week.

A HUGE>>>>HUGE selling point is the damned bluetooth worked right out of the box and found my speakers. A feat I still have not accomplished with Mint ( one of my other posts ).

I will post a follow up in a few days.

Thanks for all the replies!
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

I've tried it but wasn't that impressed. I'm not a Xfce fan
151tom
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 151tom »

Last year we said, 'Things can't go on like this', and they didn't, they got worse.
[Will Rogers]

[Will Rogers]
Glockdoc
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Glockdoc »

Thanks 151Tom!

I will make a note. One of the things I like most about Mint Cinnamon is how polished and professional it looks. MX looks 10 yrs old, but, so far I like the features I have been able to play around with for a few hours.

I will try Helen Keller just for the name alone!! =P
151tom
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 151tom »

[Will Rogers]

[Will Rogers]
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

151tom wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:25 am Yeah I hear ya MX Linux is a good choice for anyone just like Linux Mint Xfce and both being Xfce are pretty much the same from my experience although MX Linux being Debian its software packages are probably older than Linux Mint software packages.
Those guys keep fairly new versions of certain apps by default like Firefox, and they have a test repo for new apps.
151tom
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 151tom »

Last edited by 151tom on Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[Will Rogers]

[Will Rogers]
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

I have tried MX and it works well. I've installed it on a few older computers for friends. Unlike Flemur, I like the name of the team leader, and I love the release names on antiX!
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
linux-dummie
Level 3
Level 3

Post by linux-dummie »

MX is my secondary OS. I've learned Linux from a user perspective since 2010 and tried several distros in those younger days, with Mint always being the "king."
I really like the no-nonsense approach and lightness of MX. However, anyone using MX will need to become more familiar with Linux in general in order to get a "comfortable usage" out of it.
Crippled

Post by Crippled »

I have used MX Linux for over 3 years. I can't post my complete experience with MX Linux because some of it violates Linux mint forum rules. I will only post the good about MX Linux since it doesn't violate forum rules. MX Linux is very fast, it blows away Linux mint in speed. MX Linux has systemD disabled which proves the claims of systemD increases speed is false because of how fast MX Linux boots up and runs. It has MX tools and MX Tweak which makes it easy for users. You can set start-up and shutdown sounds very easy in MX Tweak which Linux mint Xfce doesn't have that capability. You don't need to use the command line which is great, but when you ask for support as with every Linux distros the command line gets thrown at you like it's the 1980's. Everything works on a fresh install. Reliability is very good with few exceptions. Package manager has the ability to chose search and install from MX stable, MX testing, Debian stable, Debian testing, Debian sid backports, and Flatpak without changing your repository configuration. MX Linux has Grub customizer that you can set up how it boots to your liking which I really miss and wish the Linux mint developers would incorporate into Linux mint so I can move the greater dailog box to the center where it belongs. MX Linux and Linux mint Xfce both have their pros and cons. As for the rest I can't post here.

Return to “Chat about Linux”