Installing VMWare Workstation(Resolved)

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
GELvdH
Level 5
Level 5

Installing VMWare Workstation(Resolved)

Post by GELvdH »

I am in the process of deciding to install a VM program and am trying to evaluate the two main players, Oracle VirtualBox and VMWare workstation. They both asked for which version of linux I am trying to use, here is VMWare requirement.
Host Operating Systems (64-bit)

Ubuntu 14.04 and above
Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 & above
CentOS 6.0 and above
Oracle Linux 6.0 and above
openSUSE Leap 42.2 and above
SUSE Linux 12 and above
Woiuld we, Mint, fall under Ubuntu 14.04?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
GELvdH
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Installing VMWare Workstation

Post by GELvdH »

A follow up to my first post. When I try to log in to my root directory to install VMWare Workstation, and I type 'su root' and my password, it gives me 'Authorization Failed', what password does it want?
athi

Post by athi »

It is looking for the root password. That is the password that you setup when you first install Linux Mint.
GELvdH
Level 5
Level 5

Post by GELvdH »

That is the same password I have been using for my login. How can I find out what password it is looking for.
athi

Post by athi »

Sorry about that, Linux Mint uses sudo instead of su for root access.

Instructions on installing VMware workstation with Mint 19.1 https://www.sysnettechsolutions.com/en/ ... inux-mint/
GELvdH
Level 5
Level 5

Post by GELvdH »

sudo root , that gives me 'no such file or directory' and when I run the VMware installer it says 'Root access required'.
athi

Post by athi »

sudo allow execution of command and action as root, context is $ sudo command action. $ sudo apt-get update would mean execute with root privilege command apt-get with action of update. So $ sudo root would mean execute command root with root privilege and would give you the error message 'no such file or directory' since there are no command or file with name of root. You will need to enter your password when ever you run sudo but root privilege will be available for a while. You do not need to add root to the CLI command to get root privilege. You can access sudo manual page with command $ man sudo

In the previously attached instruction, you would enter the command exactly as shown without adding root (Linux CLI command is case sensitive):

$ sudo apt install gcc build-essential -y
$ sudo ./VMware-Workstation-Full-15.0.3-10952284.x86_64.bundle

Have you use command prompt in Windows or terminal in Linux before?
GELvdH
Level 5
Level 5

Post by GELvdH »

Yes I am familiar with command line protocol. I am almost 80 and have spent the better part of my life programming big irons , IBM, UNIVAC, Controll Data etc and MS-DOS, L-DOS, CP-M etc. small desktops, so you see I have some experience. My problem is that I am at the point where my memory is not retaining a lot of things and I am getting mentally lazy about learning another operating system even though I like Linux Mint a lot. :)
Here is what I am getting now,

gunter@Gunter-Desktop-1:~$ sudo ./VMware-Workstation-Full-15.0.3-10952284.x86_64.bundle
[sudo] password for gunter:
sudo: ./VMware-Workstation-Full-15.0.3-10952284.x86_64.bundle: command not found
gunter@Gunter-Desktop-1:~$
Should I move the download file to another location?
Also, now my password shows up as asterisks when I type it, this is new.
athi

Post by athi »

Sorry, no offence, just need to determine your level of experience with command line. You definitely have more experience than I ever had. The asterisks are to hide the password. Looks like file either not on the Desktop or not executable. Please copy and paste:

$ dir -l

to command line to confirm file is on the desktop and show rights of file (-rwx------ 1 aa aa 9259 May 9 15:01 firefox.desktop - shows file firefox.desktop have read, write, execute rights). If rights shows -rw--------, file is not executable). To make file executable, copy and paste (please confirm my spelling of file name):

$ sudo chmod +x VMware-Workstation-Full-15.0.3-10952284.x86_64.bundle
GELvdH
Level 5
Level 5

Post by GELvdH »

No offence was taken, just explaining how mentally lazy I have become. :lol:
The **** just started to show up this afternoon, before that nothing showed up when I typed the password in the Terminal, lost the terminal before.
GELvdH
Level 5
Level 5

Post by GELvdH »

OK, here is the full file name and location,

/home/gunter/Desktop/VMware-Workstation-Full-15.1.0-13591040.x86_64.bundle

Somehow got the wrong number in there. When I enter this, here is what I get,

gunter@Gunter-Desktop-1:~$ sudo /home/gunter/Desktop/VMware-Workstation-Full-15.1.0-13591040.x86_64.bundle
[sudo] password for gunter:
sudo: /home/gunter/Desktop/VMware-Workstation-Full-15.1.0-13591040.x86_64.bundle: command not found
gunter@Gunter-Desktop-1:~$
I am still missing something. :?
athi

Post by athi »

Ok, let reset and start from the top. Please copy and paste the following commands:

update system:
$ sudo apt-get update
install dependencies:
$ sudo apt install gcc build-essential -y
change to Desktop location
$ cd /home/gunter/Desktop
list and show files and rights in Desktop location:
$ sudo list -l
give execute rights to VMware-Workstation-Full-15.1.0-13591040.x86_64.bundle file
$ sudo chmod +x VMware-Workstation-Full-15.1.0-13591040.x86_64.bundle
execute file VMware-Workstation-Full-15.1.0-13591040.x86_64.bundle
$ sudo /home/gunter/Desktop/VMware-Workstation-Full-15.1.0-13591040.x86_64.bundle

Please let me know if this works.

The asterisks showing as password character placeholders varies between terminal emulators but it should be consistent. On my Mint Mate installation, it does show asterisks, which I prefer in case i lose characters count. I see your avatar is eagle, globe and anchor, are you ex-Marine?
GELvdH
Level 5
Level 5

Post by GELvdH »

An x is a has been, I am a Marine. :)
GELvdH
Level 5
Level 5

Post by GELvdH »

It worked, it installed the PRO version so I will just try it and than get the free version since I don't have that much Windows software to run.
Your help has been outstanding, how long have you worked with Linux?
athi

Post by athi »

Putzed around with Redhat in the early 2000 and never got it working right. Try to get away from MS Win7 and got back in around 2007 with Ubuntu 7. Switched to Mint in 2010 when Ubuntu went to Unity desktop. When Cinnamon came out in 2012, changed to Mint Mate since it is based on Gnome2 desktop and very similar to Win7 (and still does thankfully, hard to teach an old dog new tricks).

Glad that you got VM working, sorry that the tutorial that I send you does not do copy and paste. Kind of hard to type in those long codes. I still have to use Windows in VM to do taxes.

Thank you for your services. My apologies for calling you an ex, forgot that once a Marine always a Marine.
GELvdH
Level 5
Level 5

Post by GELvdH »

Semper Fi

Return to “Beginner Questions”