Creating an executable file (Resolved)

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
GELvdH
Level 5
Level 5

Creating an executable file (Resolved)

Post by GELvdH »

I am trying to create an executable file like a Windows batch file to be able to call it from a software startup file which I create to change my video resolution.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Creating an executable file

Post by jimallyn »

You probably want to write a BASH script Free downloadable manual here:

http://www.linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php/
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
ricardogroetaers
Level 6
Level 6

Post by ricardogroetaers »

If I understand you correctly, you can do this by "Session and startup" -> "automatic application startup".
Click the "+ Add" button. The rest is intuitive.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

GELvdH wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:31 pm I am trying to create an executable file like a Windows batch file to be able to call it from a software startup file which I create to change my video resolution.
Did you have a question?
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
GELvdH
Level 5
Level 5

Post by GELvdH »

Sorry, the rest of my question got lost in the ether
Yes I have created a file in RESO with the following command to change my video resolution and saved it to the default location for RESO,
#! /bin/sh
xrandr --newmode "1368x768_60.00" 85.25 1368 1440 1576 1784 768 771 781 798 -hsync +vsync
xrandr --addmode your_output_here 1368x768_60.00
xrandr -s 1368x768
the issue is that when I go to 'Startup Applications' and enter RESO in the name and RESO in the command location save it and reboot, nothing changes. Apparently I have to create an executable file to call it from 'Startup Applications'. Question is How Do I Do That in linux.

Return to “Beginner Questions”