Thunderbird authentication

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kukamuumuka

Re: Thunderbird authentication

Post by kukamuumuka »

greerd wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:15 pm I think you're going to have to log into your google account and relax the security for third party mail clients. I'll see if I can find out what I did when I get home later on today.
Or easier rename .thunderbird folder like .thunderbird.orig and make Thunderbird working with OAuth2
https://developers.google.com/gmail/api/auth/about-auth
OveS
Level 4
Level 4

Post by OveS »

Go to myaccount.google.com and enable access for "less secure applications"

https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6010255?hl
--
Minisforum X400 (AMD Ryzen 4350G, 16/512GB)
MacBook Air M1 --- iPad Air 5th Gen
Raspberry Pi 4 4GB (NextcloudPi server)
greerd
Level 6
Level 6

Post by greerd »

OveS wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:43 pm Go to myaccount.google.com and enable access for "less secure applications"

https://support.google.com/accounts/ans ... 0255?hl=en

Terveisin
Cool, saves me looking it up! Although @Administrollaattori's suggestion is most likely more secure.
siawacsh
Level 3
Level 3

Post by siawacsh »

Ok, when I set it to less secure I am getting

An error occurred with the POP3 mail server. Mail server imap.gmail.com responded.
I my google account I have disabled pop and enabled imap.
On my client I have set outgoing server to smtp and incoming to imap.

siawacsh
siawacsh
Level 3
Level 3

Post by siawacsh »

OK, so since there have been no further bits of advice I guess I am going to have to go for the upgrade. Sorry Admin I tried to read the manual but it is all about editing scripts which is over my head. My thunderbird does not have 0Auth2 option. Doing it on the server side (gmail portal) was not all that clear.

I just read throught the Mint 19.1 release notes and see they mention problems with scanners. I have a Cannon Lide 200. Does any one know if there are any issues with that.? Also am I having to install the nvidia drivers via compatibility mode or will the installer do it by default.?

If there are too many bugs I might just reinstall 18.3.
And what alternatives to thunderbird would people recommend here that can allow me to copy over all the subdirectory sturcture I have in thunderbird.

siawacsh
LogMan
Level 2
Level 2

Post by LogMan »

siawacsh wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:57 pm My thunderbird does not have 0Auth2 option. siawacsh
I have 0Auth2 in my Tbird under Preferences/Account Settings/Server Settings/Security Settings
siawacsh
Level 3
Level 3

Post by siawacsh »

I think you may be using a different version. Mine does not have preferences. Just server settings. Unfortunately the forum wont let me upload the screenshots. Says they are too large. The drop down does not have that protocol
siawacsh
Level 3
Level 3

Post by siawacsh »

Funny thing is that loosening up the security has not helped at all. I am wondering if try to use evolution would I be able to migrate my backup emails .thunderbird into it?
siawacsh
Level 3
Level 3

Post by siawacsh »

I managed to compress the screenshots. As you can see the drop down selector does not show the protocol you mention.
Attachments
outgoing.jpg
incoming.jpg
siawacsh
Level 3
Level 3

Post by siawacsh »

I just tried Evolution and see that it cannot authenticate either. The difference being that there is no specific error message. It just keeps asking me for my gmail password. When I put it in and click OK the same dialog box pops up with a blank password field.
LogMan
Level 2
Level 2

Post by LogMan »

So what version of Tbird are you using ?

Like I said earlier, mine is 60.7.0 (64 bit)

You seem to be missing 2 items under that drop down menu, 0Auth2 and TLS Certificate, so looks like you have a different version.

I know Gmail requires 0Auth2, has for quite a while.
siawacsh
Level 3
Level 3

Post by siawacsh »

It also says 60.7.0 (64 bit)

And it has worked just fine all these past seven years.
LogMan
Level 2
Level 2

Post by LogMan »

Bizarre :roll:

Can't think of anything else except to try and reinstall T'Bird
siawacsh
Level 3
Level 3

Post by siawacsh »

I left .thunderbird folder as it was and reinstalled Tbird. Nothing changed.

siawacsh
OveS
Level 4
Level 4

Post by OveS »

Maybe the problem is that in order to see OAuth2 in Thunderbird, the server connection (Server Type at the top of the screenshot) must be set to IMAP. If it's POP, the OAuth2 does not show up in the list of options.
And as far as I can remember, you cannot edit an existing POP3 setup into IMAP, you have to recreate the account as IMAP.
--
siawacsh
Level 3
Level 3

Post by siawacsh »

Thanks I am still struggling with this. No idea why I started in the first place. I actually removed the account and recreated a new one with imap settings. It started download and syncing with all my historic mails. 4K in all. But it would not send anything. Crucially I have not been able to recreate and restore my data in the same three structure I have had originally. In the past when I would upgrade my OS, all I had to do was to backup the .thunderbird folder and paste it into default .thunderbird folder on the new system and my data was back up and running. Now I can get the data back up but not able to send. I removed that account and am left with the original one with the data. That one is set to pop.

Anyway, when you say you have to create as imap are you talking about at the server end or the client.? Right now I have enabled gmail account at the server to both imap and pop3.

Siawacsh
siawacsh
Level 3
Level 3

Post by siawacsh »

I tried it again. I disabled pop at the server. Changed pop to imap with the usual port number above. And ended up getting same error "password not accepted"... And there is no option for 0Auth2.

But when I create a new account I see the 0Auth2 option. It downloads but wont send. Only incoming server has the 0Auth2. The outgoing smtp is limited to SSL/TLS.

Crucially, I do not know how to restore my data on it. If copied and pasted the backed up .thuderbird will it bring it up? I don't think a .thunderbird with pop settings (original set up which has served me for seven years) will work with an imap setup. Therefore if imap means I am going to have to recreate my data structure from scratch I rather stay with pop3.
siawacsh
Level 3
Level 3

Post by siawacsh »

BTW when I say it wont send, it is without any errors. It just shows a dialog box saying sending. But it is there forever not doing anything.

Siawacsh
OveS
Level 4
Level 4

Post by OveS »

I found this short article that might help: https://www.supertechcrew.com/thunderbird-oauth2-gmail/

It's a very long time since I did that. But I remember I had the POP account set to retrieve mail form server and then delete the server copy. So all mail was locally stored. In Thunderbird, I stopped the POP account from retrieving mail and then I dragged the folders and dropped them under the newly setup IMAP account, one folder at a time.
--
siawacsh
Level 3
Level 3

Post by siawacsh »

Hello, I need to reiterated, only when I create a new account on the client with imap setting do I see an option for 0Auth2. And even then that option is limited to the incoming server. Outgoing still is limited to SSL/TLS, STARTLS and none.

The original account which also has been switched from pop to imap has no 0Auth2. But has SSL/TLS, STARTLS and none.

At the server I have imap enabled. I went ahead and deleted saved passwords as per that tutorial. That is where it stands at the moment.

siawacsh

Return to “Software & Applications”