Converted from Cinnamon to Mate

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jeffk969
Level 1
Level 1

Converted from Cinnamon to Mate

Post by jeffk969 »

And it was a very, very good decision.... Damn good....

I really like Cinnamon, but there were too many times it took 5, 10, 15 seconds to open a program/app.
So I backed up important files, did a clean install of Mate 19.1. After some time learning how to customize
the desktop appearance, installing packages, importing my files, getting the system to norm, I have to say
I can't believe how much quicker Mate is. I use Mint XFCE for my other desktop & laptop, but never using Mate
before. I'm impressed. I'm very impressed.

Best couple hours I've spent in a while, concerning PC's. I really like, after I figured it out, how to do the custom
appearance with the windows borders, theme. It's cool. My Kmymoney is so much quicker. Firefox. You name it,
it's quicker. I've only been using Linux for about 18 months, have read thing about Mate. Now I know why it has
it's dedicated following....

Cheers to you Mate...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Dell Inspiron 3847 Dual Boot - Zorin Ultimate Lite 15.3 / Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.0
Dell Latitude E5530 - Zorin Ultimate Lite 15.3 & Gateway DX4200 - Linux Mint XFCE 20.0
Linux User since Oct 2017 - XFCE is my preferred preference.
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Converted from Cinnamon to Mate

Post by majpooper »

I am glad MATE is working out for you. Just curious what you are running it on to see such a difference. What CPU and how much RAM to you have?
ColdBootII

Post by ColdBootII »

jeffk969 wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:39 pm I'm impressed. I'm very impressed.
And if you plunge yourself into using it in conjunction with Compiz Window Manager, given the level of details that can be tweaked and customized through it, you'll also find out that, in terms of functionality, it's not legging far behind KDE5!

Cheers and welcome to the club. :D
deanr72
Level 3
Level 3

Post by deanr72 »

Yeah, I jumped ship to Mint XFCE about 3-4 months ago for the same reason.

Despite 8 GB RAM and an AMD A8 CPU I was getting a little annoyed by the slow speed of boot-up and opening certain apps. It wasn't even a very old install of 19.1 so there shouldn't have been to much clutter to slow things down. Anyway, no regrets. And I don't miss any of the so-called bells and whistles Cinnamon is supposed to have over XFCE.
jeffk969
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jeffk969 »

Sorry for delay in response Maj. 6 GB RAM.
description: CPU
product: AMD Phenom(tm) 9150e Quad-Core Processor
vendor: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD]
physical id: 4
bus info: cpu@0
version: AMD Phenom(tm) 9150e Quad-Core Processor

PC is just running faster with Mate than it was with Cinnamon. I also use XFCE on my laptop and older PC,
all Mint (Linux) just runs so much better than windows IMHO....
Dell Inspiron 3847 Dual Boot - Zorin Ultimate Lite 15.3 / Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.0
Dell Latitude E5530 - Zorin Ultimate Lite 15.3 & Gateway DX4200 - Linux Mint XFCE 20.0
Linux User since Oct 2017 - XFCE is my preferred preference.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

As an old Gnome 2 user, MATE was never really a question.
Various trips to KDE, Cinnamon and Xfce have confirmed this again and again.
And Mint MATE Rosa was (is...) the most beautiful Mate...
bill_steamshovel
Level 3
Level 3

Post by bill_steamshovel »

Hello,

I have always been puzzled by the emphasis on the different desktops,

Is it necessary to completely reinstall to achieve a different desktop, isnt it possible to put whatever you like on the desktop ?

I guess I simply don't understand the difference between things like Cinnamon, Mate, and XFCE .............. is there a fundamental difference between the functionality of the basic Linux Mint operating system in each case or is it simply that there are some cosmetic differences in the default software and desktop wallpaper in each original install ?

Bill
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

bill_steamshovel wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:04 am I guess I simply don't understand the difference between things like Cinnamon, Mate, and XFCE .............. is there a fundamental difference between the functionality of the basic Linux Mint operating system in each case or is it simply that there are some cosmetic differences in the default software and desktop wallpaper in each original install ?
Neither. The desktop environment is something that runs on top of the basic operating system, and shapes the user interface in various ways; it does not mean there is a different wallpaper on the desktop, it means for example differences in the main menu, default filemanager, and various options and settings. Cinnamon, for example, comes with applets that can be placed on the panel; those applets depend on Cinnamon and will not run on Mate or XFCE.

Let's say that your operating system is a car.
- Mint is the carriage of the car; it's been built on the same beams as Ubuntu, but the shape is Mint's alone.
- The engine inside is the kernel; that same engine can be found in other cars as well.
- The desktop environment is the interior of the car, including the chairs, the dashboard, all the buttons and controls. Some versions are more Spartan, others more luxurious, but they all fit in the same carriage.
- Finally, the theme (including the wallpaper) is the fabric that's been used for the upholstery. You can change this to your heart's content.
Any of these cars can drive on the same roads (software) to get you where you want to be.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
carum carvi

Post by carum carvi »

bill_steamshovel wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:04 am Is it necessary to completely reinstall to achieve a different desktop, isnt it possible to put whatever you like on the desktop ?
No. You have to choose for one flavor. You cant mix them to your likings in one bowl.
bill_steamshovel wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:04 amI guess I simply don't understand the difference between things like Cinnamon, Mate, and XFCE .............. is there a fundamental difference between the functionality of the basic Linux Mint operating system in each case

No there is no fundamental difference. The core of each desktop OS is the same.
bill_steamshovel wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:04 am ...or is it simply that there are some cosmetic differences in the default software and desktop wallpaper in each original install ?
Yes. But there is a bit more to it then just cosmetic differences.

Xfce often uses the least amount of cpu sources. It's tweaked to be the lightest and fastest. Specially recommended for older computers without much power. Mate is fast and light as well, but it is known for its reputation of having the best hardware support and has the most tweak options available. Cinnamon is simply everyone's best friend, because it is easiest in use and has lots of bells and whistles, but it is slowest as well.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

bill_steamshovel wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:04 am Is it necessary to completely reinstall to achieve a different desktop, isnt it possible to put whatever you like on the desktop ?
It is not - you can install another desktop environment via Software Manager - but we usually recommend the clean install because it prevents possible confusion down the line.

Each desktop environment usually comes with a set of standard software for standard tasks - if you install several you may end up with several sets of software for the same thing, and then when you try to remove one that's linked to the desktop you may end up removing the desktop at the same time, and then we get one of those "cannot login" threads here. ;)

But if you are aware of that then it's perfectly fine, I've had multiple desktop environments installed many times.
Last edited by gm10 on Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
bill_steamshovel
Level 3
Level 3

Post by bill_steamshovel »

Hey Gm10 Carum and Moe,

Thanks very much for the clarification. Those comments help a lot.

Billl

Return to “MATE”