Feature request: update Qemu to version 4.0

Questions about virtualization software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
powerhouse
Level 6
Level 6

Feature request: update Qemu to version 4.0

Post by powerhouse »

I've just posted an "Idea" on the Linux Mint Community, asking the creators of Linux Mint to upgrade Qemu 2.11 to Qemu 4.0.

Those who are not familiar with Qemu, it's the software that allows you to run a Windows (or other) virtual machine in such an efficient way that users won't notice the difference from running it on bare metal. This includes the ability to run 3D games and software such as Adobe CS in a Windows VM.

Much has happened since Qemu 2.11 was released, and Linux Mint users currently cannot enjoy the benefits of these developments :( . As a result, Linux Mint users may want to look elsewhere such as Arch or Manjaro.

Please support my effort by up-voting the idea "update Qemu to version 4.0": https://community.linuxmint.com/idea/view/6807
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Subjects of interest: Linux, vfio passthrough virtualization, photography
See my blog on virtualization, including tutorials: https://www.heiko-sieger.info/category/ ... alization/
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Feature request: update Qemu to version 4.0

Post by Pjotr »

Good luck, but don't hold your breath. :wink:

In the meantime, you might "roll your own":
https://askubuntu.com/a/1067771

In the how-to, replace 3.0.0 by 4.0.0
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, powerhouse.

The reason, why Pjotr advises not to hold your breath, is simple:
Linux Mint inherits Qemu from Ubuntu.
By creating and maintaining Qemu 4.0 .deb installation packages for Linux Mint, the Mint developer team would add an extra work load on their shoulders.
Personally I have got the impression that Linux Mint users, who run virtual machines inside their Linux Mint systems, do so by using Oracle Virtualbox, rather than Qemu.
I admit that I do not know the percentages of Mint users, who use Virtualbox, Qemu or Vmware.
Anyway, it does not seem too likely to me that the Mint developer team will be willing to add an extra load of work and responsibility on their shoulders, if Qemu should be used by a small minority of Mint users only.

Best regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
powerhouse
Level 6
Level 6

Post by powerhouse »

Pjotr wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:14 am Good luck, but don't hold your breath. :wink:

In the meantime, you might "roll your own":
https://askubuntu.com/a/1067771

In the how-to, replace 3.0.0 by 4.0.0
Hi Pjotr,

Many thanks for the link - I will check it out and see if this is a way to go.
See my blog on virtualization, including tutorials: https://www.heiko-sieger.info/category/ ... alization/
powerhouse
Level 6
Level 6

Post by powerhouse »

karlchen wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:44 pm Hello, powerhouse.

The reason, why Pjotr advises not to hold your breath, is simple:
Linux Mint inherits Qemu from Ubuntu.
By creating and maintaining Qemu 4.0 .deb installation packages for Linux Mint, the Mint developer team would add an extra work load on their shoulders.
Personally I have got the impression that Linux Mint users, who run virtual machines inside their Linux Mint systems, do so by using Oracle Virtualbox, rather than Qemu.
I admit that I do not know the percentages of Mint users, who use Virtualbox, Qemu or Vmware.
Anyway, it does not seem too likely to me that the Mint developer team will be willing to add an extra load of work and responsibility on their shoulders, if Qemu should be used by a small minority of Mint users only.

Best regards,
Karl
Time flies - I'm sorry for my late reply but was traveling and working a little too much.

1. Vbox: Yes, the Linux Mint virtualization forum is predominantly filled with Vbox-related threads.

2. kvm/qemu: I may be mistaken, but the kvm thread (like my previous Xen passthrough thread) have become one of the most widely visited threads on the Linux Mint forum. Since I have moved the kvm passthrough tutorial to my own website 2 years ago, it has seen over 130,000 visitors. The Linux Mint thread counts 163,597 as of now.

3. Arch Linux (and derivatives): Many Linux users who are serious about running Windows in a passthrough environment will be forced to look at other distributions than Ubuntu/Linux Mint because qemu is totally outdated here. I believe you could have more Linux Mint users if it were for a more up-to-date Qemu/kvm.

4. Intel and AMD: Both CPU vendors have embraced IOMMU and all new CPUs that I'm aware of are capable of supporting passthrough using kvm/qemu and other technologies. This enables users to benefit from both the Linux and Windows world by running Windows in a VM with little to no performance penalty.

The point I'm trying to make is simple: Linux Mint is an excellent distribution for newcomers (from Windows) to Linux. However, these same Linux newcomers often still need to run Windows to get their work done (Vbox is usually enough), or for running games (via kvm passthrough and qemu).

I believe that providing a good qemu/kvm passthrough environment would make Linux Mint even more attractive and useful.

Thanks for taking the time to consider.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

powerhouse wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:01 pm I believe that providing a good qemu/kvm passthrough environment would make Linux Mint even more attractive and useful.

Thanks for taking the time to consider.
You may very well be right. But this is merely a support forum, which the relevant developers don't frequent....

That particular software comes from the Universe repo, which is being maintained by the Masters of the Universe (MOTU's) from Ubuntu, not by the Mint devs. They don't read this forum. :wink:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Return to “Virtual Machines”