[Solved] Corrupt file when printing only to HP MFP M477fdw

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
FrankB616
Level 4
Level 4

[Solved] Corrupt file when printing only to HP MFP M477fdw

Post by FrankB616 »

A recurring but intermittent problem: Printing multipage documents to my HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M477fdw generates a message on the control panel of the printer to the effect that the file is corrupt, and only one page comes out, which is blank. I can print the same file with no problem to the slower and less color rich Brother MFC 9330 cdw printer that my wife uses. Both of these are network connected printers here on my LAN.

In searching the web, this issue is not uncommon with this particular HP printer on Linux, and it may be a bad driver in the HPLIP printer driver package, which my Mint 19.1 xfce install is using. I get similar results on another machine running Kubuntu 18.04, and which is also using HPLIP.

The recommended solution I have seen elsewhere is to use the Ghostscript driver. If I have that on my MInt 19.1 install, I can't find it.

When setting up printers in previous versions of Kubuntu, the printer setup program allowed me a choice of multiple printer drivers including some generic PDF drivers, and some Ghostscript drivers as well. I do not see that available to me in the printer setup app in Mint 19.1 xfce.

How can I select a driver OTHER than the HPLIP driver that the printer app seems to select for me?

FYI: I require the HPLIP package for my HP 1020 'dumb' printer which requires a proprietary binary not available open source. THAT is why I have HPLIP installed, and can't really get rid of it.

Thanks.

Frank.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
cliffcoggin
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Corrupt file when printing only to HP MFP M477fdw

Post by cliffcoggin »

What version of HPLIP do you have? Your printer needs 3.15.11 or higher.
Cliff Coggin
FrankB616
Level 4
Level 4

Post by FrankB616 »

cliffcoggin wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:19 pm What version of HPLIP do you have? Your printer needs 3.15.11 or higher.
3.17.10 on this desktop machine, and 3.16.3 on the Kubuntu machine.
cliffcoggin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by cliffcoggin »

Having ruled out HPLIP, there's nothing else I can suggest.
Cliff Coggin
HAWR
Level 9
Level 9

Post by HAWR »

On the website of hplip is mentioned, that a driver-plugin is required for your printer:

HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP m477 Fdw 3.15.11 Required Full Color Yes Yes USB, Network

https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imag ... ices/index

https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imag ... ng/plugins

The plugin-number depends on the driver-number. So maybe you'll install a higher hplip-version first an then take the fitting plugin. Here is a link to a german website ('though from 2014 the text is up-to-date and leads to install the newest hplip), where the procedure of deinstalling and new installing (even the plugin) is described:

https://axebase.net/blog/2014/12/05/ins ... -printing/
cliffcoggin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by cliffcoggin »

Ah, yes. I missed the plug-in column by having my screen resolution set large to make it legible. It's a shame that table does not have a search function as the order of models follows no recognisable sequence.
Cliff Coggin
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

FrankB616 wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:51 pm
[...]

How can I select a driver OTHER than the HPLIP driver that the printer app seems to select for me?

You do not need any drivers, but you do need to read

https://wiki.debian.org/QuickPrintQueuesCUPS

We look forward to your report of successful printing.
FYI: I require the HPLIP package for my HP 1020 'dumb' printer which requires a proprietary binary not available open source. THAT is why I have HPLIP installed, and can't really get rid of it.
HPLIP is not required for printing from a HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP m477Fdw.
--
Brian.
HAWR
Level 9
Level 9

Post by HAWR »

@brian_p

Aha, for the scanner in the end you still need hplip :lol:

After reading the linked website and the other related links I don't know, which is more complicatetd: driverless printing or simple installing hplip and sometimes a required plugin in a few minutes.

@FrankB616

Here is a website (thanks for brian_p for the linked debian-site, where I've found that address), where you can download the plugin for your installed hplip-version:

https://www.openprinting.org/download/p ... P/plugins/
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

HAWR wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:21 am @brian_p

Not at all :) . That's explained in the link given earlier.

https://wiki.debian.org/QuickPrintQueue ... g_Function
After reading the linked website and the other related links I don't know, which is more complicatetd: driverless printing or simple installing hplip and sometimes a required plugin in a few minutes.
Driverless printing: one simple change to a configuraion file and no plugin required. FrankB616 appears to have devoted a bit more than a few minutes to his issue with HPLIP and its drivers.
--
Brian.
HAWR
Level 9
Level 9

Post by HAWR »

@brian_p

But hplip ist installed by default in LM, so it's simply there. I think, the only thing, that FrankB616 didn't know and which took him so much time, is the required plugin. But if you recommend the driverless printing and FrankB616 wants to get rid of hplip anyhow, you should declare him, how he can do that. Of course, he can try driverless printing with it's known issues without deinstalling hplip. :)
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

HAWR wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:19 am Of course, he can try driverless printing with it's known issues without deinstalling hplip. :)
Any software has issues. Which known issues of importance did you have in mind relating to driverless printing? You make it sound as though the driverless printing system is falling apart and would not fit the needs of a user with a modern printer.
--
Brian.
HAWR
Level 9
Level 9

Post by HAWR »

I'm sorry, it shouldn't sound dramatically. I know no special issues. I have only seen, that there are some links for issues related to cups in https://wiki.debian.org/QuickPrintQueue ... g_Function
baj
Level 2
Level 2

Post by baj »

I had this same problem with my wife's M477fdn on Mint v18.2, hplip v 3.16.3. The printer LED display always displayed a message that the print job was corrupt and printed nothing. Then I ran hp-setup and installed the plugin. Now the printer prints text and simple graphics fine (like gridlines in spreadsheets), but fails to print anything with an image. When attempting to print an image, the printer spits out one blank page followed by a second page with this text at the top:

ERROR:
undefined
OFFENDING COMMAND:
STACK:
--nostringval--
-mark-
-mark-
-mark-

This includes trying to print the Printer Test Page from the printer properties window.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
-Brad
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

baj wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:50 pm I had this same problem with my wife's M477fdn on Mint v18.2, hplip v 3.16.3. The printer LED display always displayed a message that the print job was corrupt and printed nothing. Then I ran hp-setup and installed the plugin. Now the printer prints text and simple graphics fine (like gridlines in spreadsheets), but fails to print anything with an image. When attempting to print an image, the printer spits out one blank page followed by a second page with this text at the top:

ERROR:
undefined
OFFENDING COMMAND:
STACK:
--nostringval--
-mark-
-mark-
-mark-

This includes trying to print the Printer Test Page from the printer properties window.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
-Brad
  • The plugin is needed for scanning only.
  • The error indicates a bug in the printer's PS interpreter
--
Brian.
baj
Level 2
Level 2

Post by baj »

I only have cups v2.1.3 installed with Mint v18.2, no driverless printing options in there.
baj
Level 2
Level 2

Post by baj »

The crazy thing, I was printing from my Linux Mint v18.2 work laptop to her M477fdn this past weekend, I printed a color PDF for work. Today I tried to print a color picture for my wife from my laptop on her printer, now I get the exact same result as her Mint v18.2 desktop (blank page and error page). I did reboot my laptop yesterday for the first time in almost a month, perhaps some recent update applied itself and broke. I fired up a Windows VM and printed the pic, came out perfect.
baj
Level 2
Level 2

Post by baj »

Crazier yet. I powered-off her M477fdn printer, had dinner, then powered it back up and it worked! From both her desktop and my laptop on Mint v18.2. I had done power-cycles on the printer before trying to debug this issue (before the plug-in install on her desktop, but within the last few days). Very weird, the glitch was in the printer, but only when printing from Linux client and not Windows?
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

I only have cups v2.1.3 installed with Mint v18.2, no driverless printing options in there.
Oops! Not the best of links to give. But all is not lost. See CreateIPPPrinterQueues in the cups-browsed.conf manual. Your device accepts PDF.
--
Brian.
FrankB616
Level 4
Level 4

Post by FrankB616 »

brian_p wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:54 am
HAWR wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:21 am @brian_p

Not at all :) . That's explained in the link given earlier.

https://wiki.debian.org/QuickPrintQueue ... g_Function
Driverless printing: one simple change to a configuraion file and no plugin required. FrankB616 appears to have devoted a bit more than a few minutes to his issue with HPLIP and its drivers.
Brian:

OK, though I am a Linux user for close to 20 years, I have admittedly fallen way behind the curve in recent years. This is the first I have heard of driverless printing.

I followed the link you gave me, and even went into the link at the top of that page giving an overview of driverless printing. Very intriguing! I followed a lot of it, but my head began to spin as I got further into it. I get the idea, however, and I see many advantages.

The only scanning I do with this machine is done with Vuescan, a commercial cross-platform product that has its own drivers. Vuescan works with the MFP M477fdw scanner just fine as it sits at the moment.

So, something now occurs to me: Is the required plugin for the MFP M477fdw ONLY for the scanner?

If so, then I should be able to print to the MFP M477fdw using HPLIP right now with no issues -- plugin installed or not. And if that is the case, then I am back to square one as the printer does not work reliably with HPLIP.

I now have to decide whether to try driverless printing, or find a way to use the ghostscript driver as I had originally been asking about -- if that is even still possible. Sometimes old technology still gets the job done.

So, I am getting bogged down in this. HELP!!! :lol:

Sorry for the late reply. I had forgotten to subscribe to this thread, and therefore missed the responses. :-( I am following it now, however.

Frank.
HAWR
Level 9
Level 9

Post by HAWR »

You find the answer on the hplip-website:

https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imag ... lugin.html

The plugin for your device is required for scanning support:
HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP m477 Fdw Required 3.15.11 Scanning support.

Return to “Printers & Scanners”