What ?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

What ?

Post by Pierre »

was my reaction on reading this:
https://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft ... -to-linux/
and
https://www.windowslatest.com/2019/06/1 ... x-desktop/

Microsoft Edge might come to Linux
:?:
you're kidding me, surely.
:roll:

No "technical blockers" to prevent Microsoft from shipping Edge for Linux.
:o

- - that'll stir up some folks, surely.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
ajgringo619

Re: What ?

Post by ajgringo619 »

Very interesting read. On another (and very positive) note, this link from the article looks promising for the future of Chrome/Chromium: https://www.zdnet.com/article/google-pr ... ers-again/
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

I highly doubt the Microsoft leadership is stupid enough to think the GNU+Linux community is going to embrace them, though I suppose there's a reasonable chance this is connected with their recent announcement to build their browser based around the Chrome browser core.

Would I use it? Well, for anyone here who might think I would, let me quote B5 Security Chief Michael Garibaldi: “Have you gone space happy?!?”
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Portreve wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:33 pm I highly doubt the Microsoft leadership is stupid enough to think the GNU+Linux community is going to embrace them, though I suppose there's a reasonable chance this is connected with their recent announcement to build their browser based around the Chrome browser core.

Would I use it? Well, for anyone here who might think I would, let me quote B5 Security Chief Michael Garibaldi: “Have you gone space happy?!?”
I got rid of Edge as soon as I could download Chrome. Why would I want to put it on a Linux box?
athi

Post by athi »

Which one would phone home more, Edge or Chrome? All I ever use I.E or Edge for is to download Firefox.
kamie
Level 3
Level 3

Post by kamie »

Portreve wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:33 pm I highly doubt the Microsoft leadership is stupid enough to think the GNU+Linux community is going to embrace them, though I suppose there's a reasonable chance this is connected with their recent announcement to build their browser based around the Chrome browser core.

You have to stop quoting my favorites. B5 was a classic.
Linux Mint 19.1 Cinnamon
Version 4.0.10
Kernel 4.15.0-54-generic
Processor AMD A12-9720P RADEON R7, 12 COMPUTE CORES 4C+8G × 2
Graphics Card Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Wani [Radeon R5/R6/R7 Graphics]
Levonvo idea Pad320
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Edge for Linux
Expecting MS hands into the proverbial "cookie" jar
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

athi wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:41 pm Which one would phone home more, Edge or Chrome?
I know, right? Certainly Chrome though.

Personally I think it would be nice if Edge came to Linux. Microsoft has been offering Linux versions of a lot of their software recently so it's not that unlikely. Also I am using Microsoft software on Linux: I do not believe in labeling - as long as it's open-source I can check the code to see if anything nefarious is going on, although I'll only do that in cases where I have my doubts. Proper sandboxing (AppArmor) and firewalling takes care of the rest.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Microsoft is trying to gain credibility and build a narrative that it is a good member of the libre community. This is all very preparatory stuff, along with imbedding themselves in key places like the Linux Foundation board. They want to trick people into thinking they're trying to help society, when in reality they're trying to shore up their own defenses, stop hemorrhaging market percentage on their own software, and probably long term cause division within the F/OSS Community and thereby weaken it from within, all of which serves not to help society in any way, but to help themselves.

Anybody who actually trusts Microsoft — of all companies — needs to have their head examined.
kamie wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:22 pm You have to stop quoting my favorites. B5 was a classic.
:lol:

That Random Guy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by That Random Guy »

athi wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:41 pm Which one would phone home more, Edge or Chrome? All I ever use I.E or Edge for is to download Firefox.
Exactly! I don't get how people are bashing on Edge but admit to using Chrome. They're equally as bad. :?
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

Ahhhhh ... MS wants to spy on us
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

Pierre wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:45 pmMicrosoft Edge might come to Linux
What is Microsoft Edge? Is it yet another Chromium clone? Chromium is already in Linux.
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it
athi

Post by athi »

MS is changing the Edge to use Chromium code base https://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft ... hats-next/

Doubt it is going to increase Edge usage much in the short term, it is hard to change people once they get used to something.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

in my own observations of their Windows System,
is that most users are actually using Google Chrome as their Main Web Browser .. ..
- - if you asked them where / when it was installed onto their win-10 system :?:
they generally Don't Know :roll:

some still confuse the term(s) Google Search & Google Chrome as they only refer to "Google"
& can't specify the actual difference .. .. which is confusing, when they have asked for 'some help'.
- - with 'Google'.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Pierre wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:38 pm in my own observations of their Windows System,
is that most users are actually using Google Chrome as their Main Web Browser .. ..
- - if you asked them where / when it was installed onto their win-10 system :?:
they generally Don't Know :roll:

some still confuse the term(s) Google Search & Google Chrome as they only refer to "Google"
& can't specify the actual difference .. .. which is confusing, when they have asked for 'some help'.
- - with 'Google'.
This would be the same group of people who think e = "the Internet".

Return to “Chat about Linux”