Update Manager failing [Solved]

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Andow
Level 3
Level 3

Update Manager failing [Solved]

Post by Andow »

Update manager isn't working correctly, example 500+ updated packages waiting, Firefox browser critically out of date, who knows what else.? I checked the software applications forum but didn’t find anything appropriate.
Regards Andow.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 5 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Update Manager failing

Post by Moem »

Like I asked in your other thread:
What error message are you getting?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Level 3 Update

Post by Pierre »

if you click on the 'Update Icon' that is on your Taskbar:
- then on 'Software Sources'
then on the Main Tab - - Mirrors - - click on each Mirror in turn & select the Fastest Mirror for your area
- - do this - for Both Mirrors.

then click on 'refresh' Icon at the Top of that screen & then on 'Install Updates'.

this should get your machine - - Updated Correctly 8)

Do Post back - - if you do still get any more Errors.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Andow
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Andow »

Andow wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:15 am Update manager isn't working correctly, example 500+ updated packages waiting, Firefox browser critically out of date, who knows what else.? I checked the software applications forum but didn’t find anything appropriate.
Regards Andow.
The update manager request to be updated, when I refresh, it remains empty, yet I’m seriously outdated. How can I update if update manager is broken.
Note; Could not download all repository indexes The repository may no longer be available or could not be contacted because of network problems. If available an older version of the failed index will be used. Otherwise the repository will be ignored. Check your network connection and ensure the repository address in the preferences is correct. I changed mirror to nearby mirror. Still no good.
Thank you Andow
Lenovo-ideapad-100S Kernel: 4.4.0-53-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.2.7 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.3) dm: mdm
Distro: Linux Mint 18.1 Serena
Last edited by Moem on Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Fixed a quote. Make sure to always use a closing tag [/quote] after a quote.
zcot
Level 9
Level 9

Post by zcot »

you can try 2 things to help, maybe someone will be able to help see what the problem is.

1. run the update manager using the terminal to see if there is some specific errors mentioned. run in terminal: mintupdate
then you can copy/paste the info here.

2. show the output from this terminal command: inxi -dr
Andow
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Andow »

zcot wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:25 am1. run the update manager using the terminal to see if there is some specific errors mentioned. run in terminal: mintupdate
then you can copy/paste the info here.
1st Command opened update manager, was empty.
zcot wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:25 am2. show the output from this terminal command: inxi -dr
2nd Command returned below.

Code: Select all

xxxx@rpa-Lenovo-ideapad-100S ~ $ mintupdate
xxxx@xxxx-Lenovo-ideapad-100S ~ $ inxi -dr
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 128.0GB (10.3% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: RTIRB128RFM2KWDL size: 128.0GB
           Optical: No optical drives detected.
Repos:     Active apt sources in file: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/official-package-repositories.list
           deb http://mirror.internode.on.net/pub/linuxmint-packages serena main upstream import backport
           deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial main restricted universe multiverse
           deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-updates main restricted universe multiverse
           deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-backports main restricted universe multiverse
           deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ xenial-security main restricted universe multiverse
           deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu/ xenial partner
xxxx@xxxx-Lenovo-ideapad-100S ~ $
gm10

Post by gm10 »

A moderator should probably merge your two threads.

Anyway: Check Update Manager Preferences > Levels, you possibly hid updates of all levels. Otherwise post output of this terminal command to check whether you've really got updates waiting:

apt update
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

gm10 wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:57 am A moderator should probably merge your two threads.
This moderator disagrees, the other thread was about a different question.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Andow
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Andow »

gm10 wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:57 am A moderator should probably merge your two threads.

Anyway: Check Update Manager Preferences > Levels, you possibly hid updates of all levels. Otherwise post output of this terminal command to check whether you've really got updates waiting:

Lenovo-ideapad-100S ~ $ apt update
Ign:1 http://mirror.internode.on.net/pub/linuxmint-packages serena InRelease                                                                                           
Hit:2 http://mirror.internode.on.net/pub/linuxmint-packages serena Release                                                                                             
Hit:4 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-security InRelease                                                                                                      
Hit:5 http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu xenial InRelease              
Hit:6 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial InRelease                 
Get:7 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-updates InRelease [109 kB]
Hit:8 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-backports InRelease
Fetched 109 kB in 4s (24.8 kB/s)
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
522 packages can be upgraded. Run 'apt list --upgradable' to see them.
Then I run "apt list --upgradable"
But the output is about 15 screens full to much to post here.
Last edited by Moem on Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed a quote. Make sure to always use a closing tag [/quote] after a quote.
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

Run:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
Then reboot.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Andow
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Level 3 Update

Post by Andow »

Pierre wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:07 pm if you click on the 'Update Icon' that is on your Taskbar:
- then on 'Software Sources'
then on the Main Tab - - Mirrors - - click on each Mirror in turn & select the Fastest Mirror for your area
- - do this - for Both Mirrors.

then click on 'refresh' Icon at the Top of that screen & then on 'Install Updates'.

this should get your machine - - Updated Correctly 8)

Do Post back - - if you do still get any more Errors.
Hi Pierre
I changed one of the mirrors yesterday to Australian but NG, just changed other just now also to Australian still not showing any updates. I checked update history, the only thing it showed was a 4k downloader I installed recently.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, Andow.

The whole thread suggests to me that what happened is this:
In the list of available software updates, one of the packages will be an updated Mint Update Manager.
If this happens, then Mint Update Manager will only download and install its own update, the new Update Manager.
Only after this has happened, Update Manager will present the rest of the over 500 updatable packages again and offer to install them.

The most efficient way of proceeding would be by
+ closing the Update Manager window
+ proceeding like advised by Pjotr above.

HTH,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline
Andow
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Andow »

Pjotr wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:28 am Run:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
Then reboot.
Hi Pjotr
I run your code, after about 5-6 minutes the computer froze up at the last line which was "unpack ghoshscript (9.26~dfsg+0--0ubuntu0.16.04.9 ., I didnt get the remainder. Powered down rebooted, opened update manager refreshed window got message said "E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'sudo dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.
E: _cache->open() failed, please report."
This computer tens to freeze when pushed to hard.
Regards Andow
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

sudo dpkg --configure -a
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

that is you must manually run 'sudo dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.
:)
in Terminal. ..
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Andow wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:36 am I run your code, after about 5-6 minutes the computer froze up at the last line which was "unpack ghoshscript (9.26~dfsg+0--0ubuntu0.16.04.9 ., I didnt get the remainder.
In addition to the solution Pjotr and Pierre already presented, make sure your root partition ("Filesystem" in Nemo) isn't full.
Andow
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Andow »

gm10 wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:23 am
Andow wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:36 am I run your code, after about 5-6 minutes the computer froze up at the last line which was "unpack ghoshscript (9.26~dfsg+0--0ubuntu0.16.04.9 ., I didnt get the remainder.
In addition to the solution Pjotr and Pierre already presented, make sure your root partition ("Filesystem" in Nemo) isn't full.
Hi gm10
What is nenmo and root partition, and where do I find it, whats it for. I searched Nemo came up with /home/user. Nemo 2.8Gb used, 57Gb free space in properties
Last edited by Moem on Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Andow wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:09 am Hi gm10
What is nenmo and where do I find it, whats it for. I searched Nemo came up with /home/user. Nemo 2.8Gb used, 57Gb free space in properties ]
Nemo is your CInnamon desktop's default file manager, should be called "Files" in the menu. Maybe just run this is a terminal window to determine free space of your root partition:

df / -h
Andow
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Andow »

Pjotr wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:38 am

sudo dpkg --configure -a
Hi Pjotr
Looks like all packages updated OK, update manager window still empty, at the very bottom left side it says, a new version of update manager is available. I used synaptic to install update manager and dependencies, opened update manager refreshed, still nothing.
Regards Andow
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

Andow wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:37 am
Pjotr wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:38 am

sudo dpkg --configure -a
Hi Pjotr
Looks like all packages updated OK, update manager window still empty, at the very bottom left side it says, a new version of update manager is available. I used synaptic to install update manager and dependencies, opened update manager refreshed, still nothing.
Regards Andow
Of course, because all updates have been installed now by means of the terminal command. No need to install them twice, right? :mrgreen:

Return to “Software & Applications”