Slow data transfer speeds

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
subslug
Level 3
Level 3

Slow data transfer speeds

Post by subslug »

Why does a 4.0Gb folder transfer between my two internal SATA 7200RPM hard drives at 4.9Mbps but a 4.0Gb single iso file transfers at 15.7Mbps between the same drives?
I realize a single file will transfer faster than a folder but 3 times faster?

Doesn't a 4.9Mbps transfer speed seem awfully slow? I might understand it on a external USB drive but, not two internal drives.
I actually get 15.2Mbps transferring the same 4Gb iso file to an external USB NTFS drive so only getting a 4.9 transfer speed sounds like something ain't right.

If it matters, the drive I was copying from is the drive I have 64bit Gloria installed on and the drive I was copying to is a 750Mb NTFS drive.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
markcynt

Re: Slow data transfer speeds

Post by markcynt »

I wonder if there's something wrong with your hard drives. I transfer folders larger than that regularly and my speed never drops below 30 MB/s. I thought that was slow.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

subslug wrote:If it matters, the drive I was copying from is the drive I have 64bit Gloria installed on and the drive I was copying to is a 750Mb NTFS drive.
Probably does matter, ntfs-3g translation layer in Linux to support writing to an ntfs file systems, or are you using samba as the slow method of sharing/connecting between these drive formats
http://www.ntfs-3g.org/support.html#slow
# Some Nautilus releases have a performance bug with files larger than around 20 MB. The problem goes away if command line tools or alternative file managers, like Thunar or Konqueror, are used.
# Not using at least NTFS-3G Version 2009.3.8.
http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=363400
Comment #6 from Gabriel Lavoie (points: 0)
2006-11-19 05:05 UTC

I have the same problem with the ntfs-3g (for fuse) driver. Writing to the NTFS
partition is very slow while it is fast using command line.

--based on that do you use nautilus drag and drop to execute the transfer, if so try testing with the commandline (cp ..) , is it any better ?
subslug
Level 3
Level 3

Post by subslug »

No samba involved, this was copying between two internal hard drives on the same machine.

The CP command from a terminal is light years faster than copying through Nautilus so, looks like Nautilus is the problem.

All I could get was some verbose with the CP command so I couldn't really tell the actual copying speeds but the entire 6.4Gb copy took about a minute twenty whereas the same copy on Nautilus took a good 20 minutes.

Funny how the date on that bug you linked is from 2006! Surely the Gnome folks fix things faster than that.

I'll find better ways to transfer large files in Gnome rather than using Nautilus in the future, funny how this problem never showed up in Mint 6.

Thanks

Return to “Hardware Support”