Choose the date format for the clock applet

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jolexin
Level 1
Level 1

Choose the date format for the clock applet

Post by jolexin »

Bei Ubuntu Mate wusste ich wie, bei Mint Mate geht es scheinbar anders:

Das Uhr-Applet im Panel zeig Datum und Uhrzeit so: "Di, 18.Jun., 09:17"

Was ich haben will, ist: 2019-06-18 09:17 oder Di 2019-06-18 09:17 (wenn's geht)

Ich habe vergeblich mit Mate Tweak und dconf editor nach einer Einstellmöglichkeit gesucht.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
- - -
Linux Mint 20 MATE 64bit XFCE
ibbill

Re: Choose the date format for the clock applet

Post by ibbill »

At Ubuntu Mate I knew how, at Mint Mate it seems different: The watch applet in the panel shows date and time like this: "Di, 18 Jun., 09:17" What I want is: 2019-06-18 09:17 or Di 2019-06-18 09:17 (if it goes) I did in vain with Mate Tweak and dconf editor after a Adjustment option sought.

Hope this is what you mean. Not sure it is possible. Maybe someone else can help you.
jolexin
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jolexin »

Maybe the date shown comes from a calendar applet. In that case the question is how to configure that applet.

Presumably I can define the desired date format with a string like %a %Y-%m-%d %H:%M, which yields (in Germany) Di 2019-06-18 19:10, for example.

But where should I enter that format definition?
- - -
Linux Mint 20 MATE 64bit XFCE
michael-hi
Level 4
Level 4

Post by michael-hi »

This may sound silly but you could delete the Clock applet from the panel and replace it with the Command applet, which can also show a clock. Then right-click on the Command applet, select Preferences (or whatever the equivalent is in German) and change the command to:

Code: Select all

date '+%a %F %R'
Alternatively, if you want to keep the left-click calendar, you could try having both - that is to say Command showing the date, placed immediately to the left of Clock showing the time. In that case, the command would be:

Code: Select all

date '+%a %F'
and in the clock applet Preferences you could delete date, weather and temperature (there is anyway a separate Weather Report applet if you really want that). You would need to move the two applets carefully to space them the right distance apart and make sure the time isn't pushed up too close to the end of the panel.

If you want these to appear at the right-hand end of the panel, you will need to right-click just to the left of the notification icons already there so as to unlock the Notification Area and move it leftwards to make space.

I don't know if this idea has any unexpected drawbacks but you could always try it...

(Post edited as I had omitted the + sign from the commands.)
Mik3e
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Mik3e »

One of the problems is that perfs do not show in the dconf editor without a search due to lack of a schema.

Launch dconf editor
Go to org/mate/panel/objects
Wade thru the objects and determine the object number of the clock applet
Search for 'prefs'
In search results find and select the object for the clock
Select custom-format and put in the desired format code
Select format and change to 'custom'

Good luck,
Mike

Return to “MATE”