Who can maintain Linux for my wife

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
benchrest
Level 3
Level 3

Who can maintain Linux for my wife

Post by benchrest »

Kind of a depressing topic, sure it must have been discussed before but can't find anything.
Any thoughts on maintaining Linux Mint on my computers when I am gone for my wife? Course no one knows when that day will occur or if I will go first. We are both in our 70's and my wife isn't computer literate. Even younger relatives don't seem that knowledgable of windows or definitely Linux, they would rather play with their phones. I've looked at web sites for local computer repair outfits and none mention Linux. My wife would be lost if something went wrong. But I am sure she could find help for windows. Even using this forum for technical questions I doubt would work. Has anyone else gave this any thought? We have used Linux for 15 years, I think we had XP before. So learning windows would have some challenge. Hate the thought of going back to Windows.
Rich
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
LM Cinnamon 19, ASUS TUF B450M, Ryzen 5 2600x, 16gb memory, Samsung SSD 970 EVO-Plus 500gb, Samsung SSD 850 Pro 256gb, dual 27" monitors, MSI GEFORCE GTX 1050ti Areo ITX. Big user of Gramps, LibreOffice, Unison.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Who can maintain Linux for my wife

Post by Moem »

Is there a Linux user group near you?
If so, that's computer help + social contacts. Win-win.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
BlackJackMarcus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by BlackJackMarcus »

This issue interested me as well, we are both in our late 60's and converted to Linux Mint 3 years ago. At the time I had the same thoughts as you however 3 years on and I'm not the slightest worried. On the wife's laptop I stick to the programmes that are in the prime support repository ie those in the Software Manager, which ensures proven reliability. When the LTS edition times out everything will just keep on running. Security probably won't be a huge issue as wifey won't be visiting the Dark Web to get the daily news.

The biggest issue is probably hardware failure which may mean transfer of data to a new laptop/PC, I would expect most/all repair shops to be able to handle that. Adjusting to a new desktop environment on the new laptop/PC would probably be harder, that would probably be an issue whether it be Windows or Linux Mint, maybe worse on windows with all the bling.

Overall for me/us, not an issue now.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

This will not be a popular opinion, but my advice would be to get a Windows 10 computer and get her used to it. Much easier to find/get support for Windows 10 than Linux. It's what I would do, indeed I already keep one Windows 10 computer on hand for my wife to use.
Edit: I understand where you are coming from. I'm 55 with a long list of health issues, so it's always good to be prepared.
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HaveaMint »

benchrest wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:44 pm Kind of a depressing topic, sure it must have been discussed before but can't find anything.
Any thoughts on maintaining Linux Mint on my computers when I am gone for my wife? Course no one knows when that day will occur or if I will go first. We are both in our 70's and my wife isn't computer literate. Even younger relatives don't seem that knowledgable of windows or definitely Linux, they would rather play with their phones. I've looked at web sites for local computer repair outfits and none mention Linux. My wife would be lost if something went wrong. But I am sure she could find help for windows. Even using this forum for technical questions I doubt would work. Has anyone else gave this any thought? We have used Linux for 15 years, I think we had XP before. So learning windows would have some challenge. Hate the thought of going back to Windows.
Rich
Maybe keep two PC's up to date and show her how to get help on the forums here? If one of the PC's acts up get on the other and ask for help.
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

the machine could last another Five Years,
- assuming that it would eventually go out with an hardware failure.
that's ignoring security updates etc etc.

you could teach her about the Update Manager that is in the Taskbar:
- she would only have to do two things - - click on the Icon & type in her password.
the main issue there, would be if something went wrong with those updates.

in all reality - you would have to have one of your children, to take over the IT maintenance.

what I've seen in recent years - - is that one of those children will get Mum onto an Tablet,
- - as her needs aren't that great .. Facebook, for example ..
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
kamie
Level 3
Level 3

Post by kamie »

benchrest wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:44 pm Kind of a depressing topic, sure it must have been discussed before but can't find anything.
Rich
It is not depressing, it is part of life. Speaking as a young 50 year old women :lol: With little knowledge of all things techie Linux isn't that hard for me. My husband on the other hand wouldn't have a clue, he depends on his tech support people at work for everything and doesn't turn a computer on at night.

My advice for what its worth with is usually less than a ham sandwich, is to show her the basics to updates, write down your passwords and user name to this forum, and let her start installing the updates. Show her around the menu too. If she has question you can't answer have her post them here. That will give her a basic understanding of Linux.

Best of luck too you,
Kamie
Linux Mint 19.1 Cinnamon
Version 4.0.10
Kernel 4.15.0-54-generic
Processor AMD A12-9720P RADEON R7, 12 COMPUTE CORES 4C+8G × 2
Graphics Card Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Wani [Radeon R5/R6/R7 Graphics]
Levonvo idea Pad320
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

Any thoughts on maintaining Linux Mint on my computers when I am gone for my wife?
I think you should make her a step-by-step pictorial or video tutorial on how to test-drive a Live Linux USB/DVD, install Linux, initial setup/configuring and maintain it. The tutorial can be printed out on paper or burnt to a DVD/USB.

Alternatively, find a young Linux volunteer nearby who will provide charity or nominal paid tech support.

Last resort may be to transition her to the much more user-friendly mobile OS, ie either Android or iOS, and have enough funds for her to replace the mobile device every year if necessary = no need any tech support. Just teach her how to set up the mobile device after purchase.
....... Presently, I'm typing this post on a 4G Android 8.0 10.1inch tablet connected to USB keyboard & mouse via a microUSB hub. My Internet connection is via a cheap 4G cellular/mobile plan which gives unlimited calls, SMS and data at 5Mbps download speed but hotspot sharing(eg with a laptop via Wifi) is limited to 5GB of data per month. Full unlimited download speed(= about 30Mbps) and hotspot sharing cost 3X more from another mobile ISP.

P S - Win 10 Home or Pro is likely unusable for your wife because there are just too many bugs in M$'s forced auto-updates/upgrades/restarts. Also, M$ likes to change things, terms & conditions mid-course, eg may impose Win 10 subscriptions some time after Jan 2020. Maybe you can try an "unofficial" and unupdated Win 10 Ent LTSC 2016 or 2019.

P P S - Personally, I backup my Android 8.0 system on a microSD card for system recovery in case of total system failure or malware/virus infection = no need to buy new phone/tablet. Most Android OEMs provide Stock ROMs on their website from which an Android system backup can be made. It's like an out-place Factory Reset, instead of the inplace Factory Reset feature from within a still-functioning Android phone/tablet.
cgs1025

Post by cgs1025 »

OP -
Please show your locale, so that perhaps a local user might help.
Age is opportunity; enjoy!
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

Mac + AppleCare
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

MartyMint wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:44 pm Mac + AppleCare
that would be the Expensive Option, for an Widow on an Pension.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

KBD47 wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:25 pm This will not be a popular opinion, but my advice would be to get a Windows 10 computer and get her used to it.
Except she (my partner) is now running Linux because Win10 crashed and wiped all her data.

Fortunately I'd copied all the data across to the Linux disk before Windows finished destroying things, including itself. Yes, the dreaded October update.

So how does she get on being "dumped" on to Linux Mint? She simply carries on using the computer in the normal manner, Firefox, LibreOffice, etc. What more? Couldn't be simpler.

Our eMachines Netbook, used for travelling, for e-mails, has used Mint for a number of years.

So the real answer is find a friend who uses Linux of some sort and can sort out anything that might happen.
Dot_mdb
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Dot_mdb »

For people not comfortable with Linux a Chromebook is a better choice than Linux or Windows 10.

Bill
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

Dot_mdb wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:28 am For people not comfortable with Linux a Chromebook is a better choice than Linux or Windows 10.

Bill
Unless you need to manage a printer, run native apps, or any one of a dozen other things. ChromeOS is basically a thin client that only works with the Internet.
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

One thing the OP missed was what is the computer used for. Web browsing? E-mails? Documents (LibreOffice)? or what? A Chromebook might do the job, if the jobs to be done are known.
Rocky Bennett
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Rocky Bennett »

I vote Chromebook as well. I am in my 60s but my wife does not use a computer at all, so it doesn't matter if I die with a Windows computer or a Linux computer ready at her disposal. It is all Geek to her.
cliffcoggin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by cliffcoggin »

I am in the same position with a technically incompetent wife, (not that I am claiming any great expertise,) and though I have left instructions on how to access my Linux computer, for her own use she has a Chromebook. The benefits are automatic updates, wireless printing is a piece of cake, it is virus proof for all practical purposes, it's easy to use, and when the computer dies she can replace it without losing any data or settings. It does everything she wants and she cares not a fig for the snooping of Mr. Google.
Cliff Coggin
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

My boss doesn't care what operating system is running, as long as she can watch the movies on our home network, she is happy. Currently she has got a couple of bits of fruit that have finally allowed her to send a text message by saying "hey Siri". The computer has been retired in place of a fetch TV so she is happy, She never did learn how to turn the computer on, or off, despite using it for about 10 years as the primary access device for movies on our home network and Netflix.

Back in the days of DOS, she could talk someone through problems on their computers. People would comment to me back then that it must be good to have a wife who understands computers. I'd laugh and tell them that she didn't even know how to turn one on. She'd just heard me so often that she knew the standard questions and responses. Of course Windwoes eventually put paid to that.

If I were to be taken out of the picture, my computers will probably be retired to one of my son's parts bins, or the tip. It's a good thing I don't have millions of dollars hidden away or an extensive collection of illegal stuff. Anyone who browses my computers will soon go to sleep, given how boring it all is.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

RollyShed wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:43 pm
KBD47 wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:25 pm This will not be a popular opinion, but my advice would be to get a Windows 10 computer and get her used to it.
Except she (my partner) is now running Linux because Win10 crashed and wiped all her data.

Fortunately I'd copied all the data across to the Linux disk before Windows finished destroying things, including itself. Yes, the dreaded October update.

So how does she get on being "dumped" on to Linux Mint? She simply carries on using the computer in the normal manner, Firefox, LibreOffice, etc. What more? Couldn't be simpler.

Our eMachines Netbook, used for travelling, for e-mails, has used Mint for a number of years.

So the real answer is find a friend who uses Linux of some sort and can sort out anything that might happen.
my daughter has 3 laptops, each dedicated to a specific purpose, e.g. station for tasks.

the October updates killed 2 of them :twisted:

one I fixed, the other still needs to be fixed, thinking it will end up on Mint 18.3 Cinnamon.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

AZgl1500 wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:01 am my daughter has 3 laptops, each dedicated to a specific purpose, e.g. station for tasks.
the October updates killed 2 of them :twisted:
one I fixed, the other still needs to be fixed, thinking it will end up on Mint 18.3 Cinnamon.
Just as a matter of interest, was the data get lost or was it recovered? On my partner's computer, the disk with Windows had the data wiped.

Return to “Chat about Linux”