Forum rules
Before you post please read this
Netherprovinc3
Level 4
Level 4

HP Officejet 8610 "Printer controlled" scanning [workarounds found]

Post by Netherprovinc3 »

Linux Mint 19.1 Cinnamon

I am trying to get my HP printer set up, with full functionality. Namely, being able to scan several documents to my computer, fully managed from the scanner's operating system.

Here is what I have done so far, in setting up the printer.
1- In printers, I searched for my printer by IP address. I entered the local IP address for the printer and I was then able to select from a list of 3 drivers(?)
HP Officejet Pro 8610, driverless cups-filters 1.20.2 (recommended)
HP Officejet Pro 8610, hpcups 3.17.10
HP Officejet Pro 8610, hpijs 3.17.10

Not sure which one to choose, I just chose the one labeled "recommended."

After that, I was able to print. But, when I tried to initiate a scan from the printer itself, the HP All in one device said that it could not find any computers to scan to. I have been scanning to a Windows computer successfully this way (it puts the file in "my documents" on the Windows computer)

In Linux mint software manager, I installed hplip-gui, which seemed to be some related software. However, I don't see any way to enable "scanner-initiated" scanning in that software.

I am out of ideas.
Last edited by Netherprovinc3 on Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Linux Mint 19.1 Cinnamon unless otherwise noted.
gittiest personITW
Level 9
Level 9

Re: HP Officejet 8610 "Printer controlled" scanning

Post by gittiest personITW »

I'm not sure you can 'push' the documents to the computer.
HPuiscan might be able to 'pull' the documents in though.
It doesn't support my HP477 so I wish you luck with that.

Maybe Xsane scanning software?
Or Simple Scan?
brian_p
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brian_p »

Netherprovinc3 wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:48 pm
Linux Mint 19.1 Cinnamon

I am trying to get my HP printer set up, with full functionality. Namely, being able to scan several documents to my computer, fully managed from the scanner's operating system.

Here is what I have done so far, in setting up the printer.
1- In printers, I searched for my printer by IP address. I entered the local IP address for the printer and I was then able to select from a list of 3 drivers(?)
HP Officejet Pro 8610, driverless cups-filters 1.20.2 (recommended)
HP Officejet Pro 8610, hpcups 3.17.10
HP Officejet Pro 8610, hpijs 3.17.10

Not sure which one to choose, I just chose the one labeled "recommended."
Ok up 'til now.
After that, I was able to print. But, when I tried to initiate a scan from the printer itself, the HP All in one device said that it could not find any computers to scan to. I have been scanning to a Windows computer successfully this way (it puts the file in "my documents" on the Windows computer)

In Linux mint software manager, I installed hplip-gui, which seemed to be some related software. However, I don't see any way to enable "scanner-initiated" scanning in that software.
Forget about doing this. The Mint HPLIP software does not offer this facility.
--
Brian.
Netherprovinc3
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Netherprovinc3 »

I see that there is also an option to scan to network folder. But, I am not sure where to create a folder and what the network path would be.

Are there some workarounds to get similar functionality to "scan to computer," besides actually using a Windows computer in the process?

I suppose that scanning to a USB drive and then walking that over to my Linux machine is not that bad.
Netherprovinc3
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Netherprovinc3 »

brian_p wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:40 pm

Forget about doing this. The Mint HPLIP software does not offer this facility.
Will running a virtual machine with Windows work? The HP printer shows a list of computers that it detects on the network. So maybe the question is whether virtual machines will show on that.
Netherprovinc3
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Netherprovinc3 »

I came across another idea.
1. Keep a USB thumb drive plugged into the printer.
2. Map that USB as a network drive
Zimt-Minze
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Zimt-Minze »

I use the network drive folder from my own NAS.
So I can just scan at my HP Officejet Pro 8620 and have access to the file from each connected device.

But for making the settings in the printer I used the "HP Print assistant" (Scan to a Network folder assistant) on my Windows10-laptop... :?