Boot

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
George1955
Level 1
Level 1

Boot

Post by George1955 »

I just installed Bianca KDE and so far it is the best distro I have tried. My only problem is when I startup, the startup fails with a message telling me my filesysten is read only. If I hit the reset button the system will then start ok. Can anyone tell me how I can get around this?
Regards

George
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Welcome to Mint George1955
An annoying mishap you have :)
(At least) one of your partitions have got an error and need "fsck"
Reboot with the live DVD and run a file check "fsck" like this in a terminal:
fsck /dev/sda1 where you change sda1 to whatever you have.
And do it for all your partitions
When there is an error in the file system it is mounted read only
George1955
Level 1
Level 1

Post by George1955 »

Thanks Husse for the prompt reply.
I'll give it a try tonight. Strange why it happened in the first place as I simply installed over Freespire. Then again it may be another HD/partition causing the problem.

Regards

George
Husse

Post by Husse »

This can happen "right out of the blue"
It may or may not have something to do with your actions.
George1955
Level 1
Level 1

Post by George1955 »

It fixed itself "right out of the blue" as well. I turned the machine on and no hiccups whatsoever.
I have to say this is the easiest and smoothest install I've had. I have tried Ubuntu,Mepis,Kubuntu and Freespire and this appears to be the most user friendly. especially for those (like me) wanting to switchover from Windows.
Thanks again for the help

George

Return to “Beginner Questions”