Overheating Video Card

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Forty-

Overheating Video Card

Post by Forty- »

Hello,
I have nvidia GeForce 9500M GS in my laptop and when I run Linux Mint 7 it overheats terribly :( Temperature is cca 90 C. It must be definitelly running in the "perforamnce3D" but under windows it heats only when I play some modern 3d game ....
IF anyone has idea I'd very welcome it.
Thank you
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lagagnon

Re: Overheating Video Card

Post by lagagnon »

Where are you getting 90C video card temp from? I suspect that is wrong because the chip should almost be fried by now at that temperature. Most chips are rated at 100C MAX. I suspect whatever is giving you the temp readout is incorrect. What % CPU are you running at and what is your CPU temp?
Forty-

Post by Forty- »

Hello all - sorry it took me so long to respond
I have SOLVED this problem :

First off all some basic information :
Video Card - nVidia GeForce 9500M GS (512MB)
As you might know - geforce video cards have 3 modes :
a) 2d (low)
b) balanced 2d-3d performance
c) performance 3d
The higher mode selected - the higher clocks for GPU core and Memory are used
The problem was that nvidia x server did not start therefore my card was still in performance 3d mode and heating like hell (90 C - fan was doing its job so that card wasnt overheated but the noise ... that TERRIBLE noise ... )

So here is how simply it might be solved :
1. switch to root :

Code: Select all

sudo su -

2. type

Code: Select all

nvidia-xconfig
If you are not root you'll get this error message : ERROR: Unable to write to directory '/etc/X11'.
Otherwise backup will be created
3. close all windows and press CTRL + ALT + BACKSPACE ... let mint login as user (default : mint)
4. now nvidia x server should work - run it (from control center) and PowerMizer tool will do the intelligent VGA management for you :)

Hope this will help to someone!
lagagnon

Post by lagagnon »

Glad you worked that out and I learned something new about the newer nVidia cards. Thanks for posting your solution for others.

Return to “Beginner Questions”