Networking 2 computers

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
GELvdH
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Networking 2 computers

Post by GELvdH »

OK, I am seeing the other computer folders
Connect 1.odt
(75.83 KiB) Downloaded 52 times
but obviously we are using different desktops because my display is quite different from your picture. When I get connected and try to open a shared folder I get the following drop down.
GELvdH
Level 5
Level 5

Post by GELvdH »

Forgot to say, I am using Cinnamon.
athi

Post by athi »

I am on Mate 19.1 and Cinnamon should be similar. That is the shared printer login screen, never really used that since all my printers are on the network but you should be able to login using the user and password from the other PC.. In Mate, all printers are shared by default, should be the same on Cinnamon.

Try sharing a folder in home directory of 192.168.0.4 PC so you can see if you can access the folder. Right click on a folder and there should be a sharing option in the context menu, if SMB/CIFS is working. The default sharing permission on Mate is read/write for owner/group and read only for guest.
GELvdH
Level 5
Level 5

Post by GELvdH »

OK, I can see the other computers shared folders but when I try to open them I get that "Password required for share...". it has two options, Anonymous which has everything grayed out except the connect button and Registered User. When I select that, it gives me the other options on the display and when I enter my name , workgroup and password it goes back to the Anonymous screen. I don't understand what it is asking for. THis happens when I try to open any of the shared folders.
GELvdH
Level 5
Level 5

Post by GELvdH »

Found the problem, I had the sharing option set for 'Allow others to modify...' , when I set the access to Guest on the other machine I can see the files in the folder. :oops:
athi

Post by athi »

Sounds like you have it worked out.

There could be permission issues if you modifying or deleting files in the shared folders as guest. I just allow guest to modify files on the shared folders.
GELvdH
Level 5
Level 5

Post by GELvdH »

Since I am planing to be the only one on the system, permissions would not be an issue and I only modify the files on my MEGAsync file. Thanks for the help to both of you. Now I can get back to my other issues.
GELvdH
Level 5
Level 5

Post by GELvdH »

Question, once I close all of the open folders it seams to log of the server, is that normal, is there a way to keep the server connection open?
athi

Post by athi »

Connection is still there. Check in the device listings on the left panel of file manager. When you connect to a share, it will list the share under Network and would be there until you either unmount or logout. Attached below is screenshot of my Caja file manager showing (from the bottom) in Network the samba share to d830 downloads and Bookmarks showing links to aa-nas and d620.
Screenshot at 2019-06-28 09-57-24.png
GELvdH
Level 5
Level 5

Post by GELvdH »

The folders show up on the left side when I open them , my question is... When I close those folders does it close my connection to the server?
athi

Post by athi »

No, the link to the share is still active but there is no activity. Link would be active until you unmount the share or logout. If you click on the link when the other end is offline, you will get an error because your PC cannot find the target.

Kind of like a road, it is there regardless of the traffic.
GELvdH
Level 5
Level 5

Post by GELvdH »

Than you have to login everytime after you close the folders, bummer.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Nope, as athi explained above it's just the opposite.

Once connected through the file manager you will remain connected unless you:

[1] Explicitly unmount the share.

[2] Or you logoff the system.

[3] Or the server goes away

This is true if you "close the folder" -whatever that means - or shut down the file manager.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
GELvdH
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Networking 2 computers (resolved)

Post by GELvdH »

GELvdH wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:02 pm I want to network 2 computers to be able to share the printers which are connected to one of them. Am having trouble finding a simple answer. Help.
athi

Re: Networking 2 computers (resolved)

Post by athi »

GELvdH wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:12 pm
GELvdH wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:02 pm I want to network 2 computers to be able to share the printers which are connected to one of them. Am having trouble finding a simple answer. Help.
Link to printer sharing tutorial by altair4.
viewtopic.php?t=28397

Need to change command to edit smb.conf from
$ gksu gedit /etc/samba/smb.conf to

Code: Select all

$ sudo xed /etc/samba/smb.conf

Return to “Networking”