Xfce delay in opening windows

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mire000

Xfce delay in opening windows

Post by mire000 »

I have one simple question about xfce. Usualy when you open any window in Xfce it opens extremly fast.
But if you run some program that require some time to be loaded, xfce first draw borders around window, and interior of that window is transparent. After aplication is fully loaded eg. 2 sec, you have fully loaded window.

Why is this happening? Is there some settings in configuration file that can be changed to avoid this?
I want that window be shown after aplication is fully loaded.

Here is picture what happens, when i start eg. firefox:

Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Crippled

Re: Xfce delay in opening windows

Post by Crippled »

In Desktop settings, are you using Compiz? If so, chose a different manager.
mire000

Post by mire000 »

This doesnt help. I tried them all.. There must be some tweaks in config, maybe in gtk.

Problem is because window is transparent for 2 sec on opening large app. If at least i be abble to change transparent window to some color, eg. white.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Disable all visual effects in Xfce:
https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... html#ID5.3
(item 5.3)

And while you're at it, also apply some of the other speed tweaks mentioned on that web page.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
mire000

Post by mire000 »

Pjotr wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:26 am Disable all visual effects in Xfce:
https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... html#ID5.3
(item 5.3)

And while you're at it, also apply some of the other speed tweaks mentioned on that web page.
No, this is not the case. I tried everything by now, every manager and every combination available in Mint. I also disabled Compozitor.
I'm already using "Xfwm4 + Compositing". Also i uninistaled Compiz as sugested on this page, but this doesn't help either!

Problem is not in Graphic in low RAM , CPU etc.. Exactly i dont have any problem.

All windows shows instantly, except for some large apps that need time to load, and in that case, "Xfce window manager is faster than program and it shows window before program is fully loaded". This is real problem. Becuse that window which pops up before program, have transparent interiror like in picture above.

I must find a way to change color of that transparent window. In other Os-es if window pops up before program is loaded, background of that window is "white" . Here is transparent, and this realy brakes user experience. It looks like window is broken, but it's not, Xfce is just faster than any program!

So , this can't be fixed by trying to speed things up. This is not the performance isue.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

mire000 wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:01 am I'm already using "Xfwm4 + Compositing".
Exactly that might be the problem. On the web page I referred to, it says to change that into "Xfwm4".
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
mire000

Post by mire000 »

Pjotr wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:09 am
mire000 wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:01 am I'm already using "Xfwm4 + Compositing".
Exactly that might be the problem. On the web page I referred to, it says to change that into "Xfwm4".
No it's not, i tried using Xfwm4 , and nothing changes.
I also tried compton with efects, tried compiz, i can't avoid this even with fading efect..
It's nothing to do with changing managers or other..
It's simply because window opens before program is loaded.
And that window open's as transparent window.

If i could only be able to change it's color to black, then it wouldn't be noticeable.

Try to test this on your system, try with "cheese" app (try couple of others). You will notice transparent window for 1-2 sec, before app starts, as in picture above. If you don't, then there's realy problem with me. But im sure you will notice this. I was seeing this happening to others too.
secureIT
Level 4
Level 4

Post by secureIT »

Hi mire000

I can confirm that even in my xfce the loading of the firefox window is as you described.

That never bothered me because firefox is a large application, so it takes time to start.

Note: waterfox e.g. starts without delay.

Some apps are designed to launch various queries before they finally provide their functionality.
Although they will then make the app-window available, but it may take some time until the app has completed all queries and goes into user state.

In Firefox e.g. queries that take place before the actual start, such as update-check, addon-check
and so on.

It is not a bug in xfce, that these programs are designed in this way.

Take a look at libre-office, for example : there is a loading-window with state of charge before the actual opening of the application is displayed.

So I think that's because of the program-design themselves, what will be shown on startup – but not xfce.

If the final loading of the program-window is such a big problem for you ……. :
try preload.

Code: Select all

apt install preload
Preload is an adaptive, pre-reading demon.
It observes applications that a user starts, predicts which applications users will launch based on an analysis of these data, and then loads those binaries and their dependencies into memory for faster startup. Note: The system startup speed is not affected by preload.

May be this will help you ….. but have in mind, that queries a program does by using your internet connection might be nevertheless slowing the final user-state .
mire000

Post by mire000 »

secureIT wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:32 pm Hi mire000

I can confirm that even in my xfce the loading of the firefox window is as you described.

Some apps are designed to launch various queries before they finally provide their functionality.
Although they will then make the app-window available, but it may take some time until the app has completed all queries and goes into user state.

It is not a bug in xfce, that these programs are designed in this way.

I think that's because of the program-design themselves, what will be shown on startup – but not xfce.

If the final loading of the program-window is such a big problem for you ……. :
try preload.

apt install preload
Thank you. I think that this doesn't depends on aplication itself. Some apps have preloading window and some don't. If app doesn't have preloading window then every time for such app you will get transparent window.

And this is the case here..

This leads me to conclusion that if app doesn't have preloading window Xfce will draw transparent window. And that window should be posible theming? At least it should be..

I know that this is not bug in Xfce.. But i just wonder if someting can be done with this. I would like white or black window before app starts.

I will try with preload if this helps.

But if someone have other solution would be good.
secureIT
Level 4
Level 4

Post by secureIT »

Found a nice little workaround, that works not only for firefox, but for every app with that starting-behaviour:
If the panel icon (indicator) starts up, it launches a new firefox window, but immediately hides it (including possible existing firefox windows) from the face of the earth, using xdotool
and see the rest of the post of Jacob Vlijm on :

https://askubuntu.com/questions/853891/ ... chromium

He did it with autostart ...... i tried it within a launcher ..... and it works like a charm.

bash -c "python3 ~/bin/firefox_bg.py"
mire000

Post by mire000 »

secureIT wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:21 pm Found a nice little workaround, that works not only for firefox, but for every app with that starting-behaviour:
Yes but then i must make script and launcher for every app i have?
I need someting that will affect all apps by default.

Return to “Xfce”