First month living with LM!

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Swampthing
Level 2
Level 2

First month living with LM!

Post by Swampthing »

I just realised 2 minutes ago, that its been exactly a month since I introduced myself in this great forum!
So its been a month without Windows and I actually don't miss it at all.
Yes, there's still a lot to learn and I will study and master this OS.
Funny thing is, I still feel I'm suddenly standing on the open plains after being a "slave" and thinking "Now what?" & "What to do?"
But I'm free! :D
These days I'm studying commands in Terminal, haven't got far yet, but I will eventually be good at it.
So far I've had some work done using LM, found my desktop in iCloud and transferred some data from there and so on.
I have been in this forum everyday, reading posts and asked a couple of questions.
ATM I haven't changed/customised LM that much, other than changing the desktop background and fiddling a bit with themes. I like LM as it is. :D
When my iMac can't be updated anymore, it will receive the gift of Linux.
So far so good!
Thank you to the devs.
Thank you for this forum.
Last but not least, thank you for helping all us newbies looking for help in here. :D
JerryF
Level 13
Level 13

Re: First month living with LM!

Post by JerryF »

Congrats on your one-month anniversary!
*** IF your problem has been solved, please edit your ORIGINAL post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members when browsing posts. ***
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Miss windows? You've got to be kidding! Isn't it a great feeling! :D
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
Swampthing
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Swampthing »

lsemmens wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:32 pm
Miss windows? You've got to be kidding! Isn't it a great feeling! :D
It's an amazing feeling! :D
And the opportunities in Linux seems limitless, I can't believe I waited so long to convert from M$ ...
bob466
Level 6
Level 6

Post by bob466 »

The feeling of being Windoze and Micro$oft free is a Great feeling Image I've been free for just over three years and have never looked back. Image :D :D :lol:
Linux For Ever...Windoze Never. Image
The Freedom To Choose Your Own Avatar Without Victimisation.
Cruisin
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Cruisin »

Swampthing wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:32 pm
I just realised 2 minutes ago, that its been exactly a month since I introduced myself in this great forum!
So its been a month without Windows and I actually don't miss it at all.
Yes, there's still a lot to learn and I will study and master this OS.
Funny thing is, I still feel I'm suddenly standing on the open plains after being a "slave" and thinking "Now what?" & "What to do?"
But I'm free! :D
These days I'm studying commands in Terminal, haven't got far yet, but I will eventually be good at it.
So far I've had some work done using LM, found my desktop in iCloud and transferred some data from there and so on.
I have been in this forum everyday, reading posts and asked a couple of questions.
ATM I haven't changed/customised LM that much, other than changing the desktop background and fiddling a bit with themes. I like LM as it is. :D
So far so good!
Thank you to the devs.
Thank you for this forum.
Last but not least, thank you for helping all us newbies looking for help in here. :D
When you have some spare time- https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... -mint.html
Pierre
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Pierre »

Great Stuff
8)

You're making some super progress - - we'll add you to the 'Guru' status - - Next Month.
:lol:
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Swampthing
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Swampthing »

Cruisin wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:22 am
Swampthing wrote:
I just realised 2 minutes ago ..... .... ... ..
When you have some spare time- https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... -mint.html
Thank you :D
I'll definitely look into that.
Pierre wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:47 am
Great Stuff
8)

You're making some super progress - - we'll add you to the 'Guru' status - - Next Month.
:lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Portreve
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Portreve »

Swampthing wrote:
Welcome aboard the crazy train! :lol:
Here's a couple quick things that will make your command line activities much easier...

1. Tab Autocomplete — generally speaking, you can use BASH to complete more awkward and/or repetitive stuff. For example, you cannot simply type a file or folder name with a space in it. But if you start typing it and press the TAB key, it will help finish off the name, including handling spaces correctly.

2. Up Arrow History — if you repetitively press the up-arrow key, it will take you through a history of everything you've ever typed at the command line.

3. Middle Click — technically, this isn't limited to just the terminal, but let's say you want to copy-n-paste some directions from a trusted web page. If you simply highlight the stuff to be typed in and then bring up or switch focus to your terminal window and middle click (these days, this is typically your mouse's scroll wheel, not an actual button, so press down on the wheel instead of scrolling) it will directly "paste" what you highlighted in the other window. This nicely gets you around having to remember that, in a terminal window, "paste" is not [CTRL]+[V], but rather [CTRL]+[SHIFT]+[V].
Interesting. I hadn't realized you could interface with iCloud on anything but Mac OS X for purposes of backing up or restoring private data. I'll have to mention this to one of my Mac OS X-using friends.
Have you checked out the program Variety? If you haven't, you probably should. Also, when you get to the point of doing more extensive customization, check out Cairo Dock.
Don't worry; we'll soon fix that for ya. :wink: :lol:
Your humble Portreve.

Recommended Keyboard Layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”