How many are 100% Linux here?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
CPM

How many are 100% Linux here?

Post by CPM »

I'm a complete newbie here, just installed Mint last week on 2 old Thinkpads (from XP). I've also finally upgraded 2 somewhat less old laptops to Windows 10, after having past upgrade attempts fail. I don't know how I feel yet about 10, at least it's better than 8. No point to telling all that, except I'm pleased to have viable computing choices again.

How many of you are 100% Linux on your personal and family machines? (Work PCs don't count). How many also keep Mac or Windows computers around or dual boot?

Linux has come a long way from when I first burned a CD, booted, and quickly went back to Windows many, many years ago. This time, I think I'll be sticking around.

Is it good enough to be your one and only?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: How many are 100% Linux here?

Post by Pierre »

YEP - there sure is some folks around these parts:
- who are 100% Linux Only.

others, are a bit more pragmatic about this & still have an win-10 based machine:
- for some obscure program, that they do wish to use.
some do have an dedicated machine, for that, though.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

100% LInux...Win 10 drove me to it and i will NEVER go back...DAMIEN

EDIT..i was in a rage when i wiped out windows and installed Linux...didnt even leave my self a way out to revert because i was in such blind rage with all the nasties that win 10 had to "offer"...funny, i never go into rages anymore and this is the calmest ive ever been in life for the last 30 years...lol.
Last edited by DAMIEN1307 on Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

I still have a Windows 7 computer for two programs that (so far) are irreplaceable. Also, my wife's and my son's computers are still running Windows (8.1).
CaptainKirksChair
Level 4
Level 4

Post by CaptainKirksChair »

I have a Windows 7 / Mint 19.0 Mate dual boot that I turn on once every 3 months or so to update. Never really use it. The spouse-unit has a Windows 10 computer that I have dual booted to Mint 18.3 Cinnamon. I have a movie library that is dual booted to Win 10 / Mint 18.3 Cinnamon. I need Windows on it because the movies are TiVo files. But my daily drivers are an iMac 9.1 with Mint 19.0 Cinnamon and a Macbook Pro 8.3 with Mint 19.1 Cinnamon.

I rarely use Windows at home. I would say I'm 99% Linux.
murray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by murray »

I replaced my old Windows XP machine with a new NUC running LM. But I've still got an old Windows 7 netbook that I use when I'm sitting on the couch watching TV, pretty much just use it for web browsing. When its time for my partner to get a new laptop then I'll be suggesting LM rather than Windows since she has had so many problems with Windows 10.
Running Mint 19.3 Cinnamon on an Intel NUC8i5BEH with 16GB RAM and 500GB SSD
Crippled

Post by Crippled »

After reading the E.U.L.A. of that Spyware/Malware from Microsoft called Windows 10 and after Linux wouldn't work in 2000, I gave Linux another try on September 2015 with openSUSE which worked. After a month I threw out Windows 8.1 like garbage should and went to 100% Linux on all my computers ever since October 2015. Currently I use Linux mint Xfce 64 bit on all my computers. Good riddance to that rubbish. The last good Windows was Windows 7, everything after from Microsoft has been rubbish!
Jdw_11983

Post by Jdw_11983 »

Just became 100% Linux user here! Last weekend I completely wiped my Toshiba of Windows 10 and installed Linux Mint on here. It does alright.

I've got a 14" Hp notebook that's a little new than the Toshiba that runs MATE. I don't plan to look back after switching to Linux.
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Post by sleeper12 »

100% Linux here on five old laptops & a chromebook. I went to linux after webtv (remember that?), then win 98 & win XP. Never looked back & wouldn't know much about windows now. Last time I needed win was to update the Bios on a laptop & I did that with Hirens win XP.
Jdw_11983

Post by Jdw_11983 »

Crippled wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:28 pm After reading the E.U.L.A. of that Spyware/Malware from Microsoft called Windows 10 and after Linux wouldn't work in 2000, I gave Linux another try on September 2015 with openSUSE which worked. After a month I threw out Windows 8.1 like garbage should and went to 100% Linux on all my computers ever since October 2015. Currently I use Linux mint Xfce 64 bit on all my computers. Good riddance to that rubbish. The last good Windows was Windows 7, everything after from Microsoft has been rubbish!
Agreed!

Windows 7 was the last great Windows program. After that, Windows went completely to hell.

Windows 8 was nightmare from the get go and Windows 10 has so much spyware it's not worth using.
RIH
Level 9
Level 9

Post by RIH »

My laptop is 100% Mint.
The desktop dual boots with Mint & Windows 7.
I don't use Windows 7 at all myself now, it is only for friends who are hooked into Windows & have issues.

Oh, VirtualBox on the desktop is currently guesting 11 different Os's/Distributions - but that was what I bought the desktop for - experimentation.. :D
farkas
Level 5
Level 5

Post by farkas »

100% on my laptop. :D
99.9% on my desktop. :)
The only windows I use is in vbox because there are no OEM linux drivers for my printer. :mrgreen:

viewtopic.php?f=51&t=296266
If your query has been resolved, edit your first post and add [SOLVED] to the subject line.
If you found a solution on your own please post it.
A generation which ignores history has no past and no future.
athi

Post by athi »

100% Linux on my main desktop and laptop, except for Windows VM for tax software, for about 3 years. Still have several dual boots for guests and trouble shooting Win7 or Win10 problems. Thought I would be done with Windows after Win7, but with end of Win7 support have to start supporting Win10.

Just when i thought i was out, they pull me back in :roll:
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

I am 100% Linux. I have Win7 virtual machine on my desktop system, but I have not started the VM in over a year and the machine itself is almost retired.

I am also Apple-free.
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
berndinger
Level 2
Level 2

Post by berndinger »

100% Linux since 1998 (Suse, Mandrake, Mageia, then since 2015 Mint)
Also Wife and daughter, we never use Windows...

cheers,
Bernd
Linux Mint, what else....
wilbobob
Level 3
Level 3

Post by wilbobob »

100% LinuxMint since LM13 in 2011. One desktop and two laptops at present
Go Steady, but keep going
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

My machines are 100% Linux. We are an almost Windows-free household; there is one old Thinkpad somewhere in the house that runs W7 in order to run a specific E-bay sniper tool.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Beerislife

Post by Beerislife »

I can't say I've used Windows much at all in my computing lifetime, unless you count Windows 3.1! :D

I'm an ex OS/2 Warp 4 user who switched to Mandrake/Redhat when IBM threw in the towel. Now I use KDE Neon on my Lenovo ThinkPad and the boss uses Mint Cinnamon on her Lenovo laptop.

I do have a Mac Mini (Mid 2010) in the bar for playing videos and music (Love the footprint) but OS X's days are numbered now that it will soon be two OS versions behind!

I might even replace it with a Raspberry Pi 4 and save even more space! :lol: Then I can sell the Mac!
Swampthing
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Swampthing »

My Lenovo laptop runs purely on Linux Mint (for a month now) and I'm planning on keeping it that way.
The more I fiddle around in Linux, the more I realize it has all I need.
But I also have an iMac with a Windows partition, Windows never get used by me.
One of the kids use the Windows partition occasionally for some specific games.
handsomegenius

Post by handsomegenius »

I do everything in Linux. The Windows partition is still there, but I don't touch the damn thing, it's too slow.

Return to “Chat about Linux”