Linux Mint Support

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kdander

Linux Mint Support

Post by kdander »

I have been checking with the authors of some security software providers for compatibility with Linx Mint before I change my OS from Win 7 to Mint, and I got this interesting response to my inquiry from ESET, They told me about the ESET software for Linux but also included the statement that support for Linux Mint will be ending soon! See the following transcript: ----------------------------------------------------------
Date: 2019-07-01 08:52:08 PDT
To: All Customers
A secure, encrypted connection has been established.
----------------------------------------------------------
Date: 2019-07-01 08:52:08 PDT
Your support representative will be with you shortly. This session may be recorded for quality assurance.
Date: 2019-07-01 08:52:16 PDT
This session has been transferred to Adrian A..
Date: 2019-07-01 08:52:22 PDT
To: Everyone
Thank you for contacting ESET Technical Support in San Diego, my name is Adrian A. Please allow me a moment to review the information you have provided.
Date: 2019-07-01 08:53:59 PDT
Yes, here is the download link: https://www.eset.com/us/download/home/#linux
Use your username and password when prompted to activate.
Date: 2019-07-01 08:54:11 PDT
Please keep in mind that Linux Mint support is ending soon.
Date: 2019-07-01 08:54:26 PDT
Is there any thing else I can help you with?
Date: 2019-07-01 08:54:52 PDT
Thank you, When you say thqat Mint support is ending soon you mean support from ESET?
Date: 2019-07-01 08:55:32 PDT
I am sorry, no, from Linux Mint development team.
Date: 2019-07-01 08:56:55 PDT
Oh I see. I didnt see any mention of that on their web site I will explore further!! Thanks again
Date: 2019-07-01 08:57:15 PDT
You are welcome, Thank you for choosing ESET. It was a pleasure chatting with you today. Have a great day!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Linux Mint Support

Post by Moem »

Support for Linux Mint version 17.x and earlier has ended in April. Could that be what they meant?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
kdander

Post by kdander »

Probably, or maybe Win 7. I didn't believe the statement,, only that it was interesting that the rep at ESET was tell their customers this. You know that will make some people concerned at the very least!
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

hi kdander...please read the following "Security in Linux Mint and Ubuntu" tutorial blog below that is written and maintained by one of our more knowledgable members of the Linux Mint forums (pjotr) as to why ESET and other so-called "security software" is not necessary for a Linux OS being used on personal home use desktops or laptops...if you have just recently come to Linux from either Windows or Macs, you might find it hard to believe since security software is so ingrained in people to be a necessity, (which it is with either Windows or Macs), but not so with Linux unless it is a mail server, etc. being used to serve up Windows or Mac users...DAMIEN

https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... urity.html
kdander

Post by kdander »

Thanks Damien, I was not aware of the resistance to viruses that was inherent in Linux, the article you sent was very enlightening. Is this true for malware as well? ( I am using Malware bytes as well). How about CCleaner?
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

when i used windows, i also used malwarebytes as well as ccleaner...they will not be necessary with Linux as well as the fact that to the best of my knowledge, they do not even offer a version for Linux operating systems...most A/V makers as well as malware detector vendors pretty much realize that Linux OSs just do not need their services...DAMIEN
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

Im posting the link to the 1st page, (the main page) of "pjotrs" easy linux blog...if your anything like me, you will want to "bookmark" it on your browser for quick and easy referrence...it is a wealth of information for new Linux OS users...the forum here at LM forums is also the very best to be found with well over 100,000 volunteer members world wide that are willing to help out users both, new and old hand advanced users, with any problems or questions that may arise...welcome to Linux and Linux Mint...DAMIEN

https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/p/2.html
kdander

Post by kdander »

Damien,, thanks loads for the links and info! You realize of course the money on subscriptions you have saved me! This community is great, and I appreciate the help. I'm awaiting my Mint disks now to change all three of my computers. Thanks again.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

kdander wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:09 pm Thanks Damien, I was not aware of the resistance to viruses that was inherent in Linux, the article you sent was very enlightening. Is this true for malware as well? ( I am using Malware bytes as well). How about CCleaner?
Inherent virus/malware "resistance" isn't substantially different between Linux and Windows, it's all in how you "behave" in them - as Pjotr's article hopefully makes clear (at least that's the gist of what he's trying to say). Only the software repository system on Mint has the advantage of giving you a large library of software that you can install with fairly high confidence that nothing malicious will happen (it's not excluded but everything going into those repositories is screened to a certain extent). Once you start adding software from other sources that advantage goes away, of course (again: behaviour).
cliffcoggin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by cliffcoggin »

kdander wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:39 pm only that it was interesting that the rep at ESET was tell their customers this.
Of course he is going to lie to you. He has a vested financial interest in keeping you on Windows i.e. if you eliminate Windows, you eliminate payment for his ESET service.
Cliff Coggin
bob466
Level 6
Level 6

Post by bob466 »

cliffcoggin wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:46 pm
kdander wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:39 pm only that it was interesting that the rep at ESET was tell their customers this.
Of course he is going to lie to you. He has a vested financial interest in keeping you on Windows i.e. if you eliminate Windows, you eliminate payment for his ESET service.
Exactly right...ESET + Microsoft + Windows = $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ Image Image :evil: :evil:

All the help and support OP will ever need is right here on the Forum for Free. :D :D :D :D
Linux For Ever...Windows Never. Image
The Freedom To Choose Your Own Avatar Without Victimisation.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

If you look here ...

https://support.eset.com/kb5827/

... you'll see that eset only supports Ubuntu up to 12.10. That went end of life about 5 years ago. I'm not surprised it's npt working.

ANd no, you do not need AV software in Linux.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

The download link was for 32-bit software. I'll bet that's what the support ending soon was referring to.

Return to “Software & Applications”