SOLVED: Matching drivers to an Epson XP-6105 scanner/printer

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
fotoderek
Level 1
Level 1

SOLVED: Matching drivers to an Epson XP-6105 scanner/printer

Post by fotoderek »

Hello,

Not so much 'new' as tentative, and octogenarian! I am running Linux Mint 18 Sarah on an Intel Pentium Gold G5400 processor.

My old HP all-in-one USB printer died after long service and an Epson XP-6105 all-in-one wifi has been bought to replace it. This model does not appear in the options for adding a printer via Admin/Printers.

The Epson on-line instructions tell me to install LSB before proceeding, which I have done via

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install lsb
, then move on to the drivers at http://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/searc ... archModule. I presume I need the first one (generic driver), the third (Printer Utility) and the fifth (Scanner Driver; All-in-one Package). I have downloaded the latter and expanded the tar file, within which are two further packages (Core & Plugins) together with file,'install.sh' and a README text file.

The README instructs: Change to the folder where you downloaded the scanner driver bundle, extract it and install all components with

tar xaf imagescan-bundle-linuxmint-18-3.55.0.x64.deb.tar.gz
   cd imagescan-bundle-linuxmint-18-3.55.0.x64.deb
   ./install.sh
in a terminal window. This I have done and it has, apparently, installed successfully. The Image Scan title appears in Graphics, but neither it nor Simple Scan recognises the machine. Could this be because I have yet to install the printing drivers?

Assuming I need both the options referred to above, I am faced with a choice of 5No. variations for each group, namely:
epson-inkjet-printer-escpr2-1.0.34-1lsb3.2.i486.rpm
epson-inkjet-printer-escpr2_1.0.34-1lsb3.2_i386.deb
epson-inkjet-printer-escpr2-1.0.34-1lsb3.2.x86_64.rpm
epson-inkjet-printer-escpr2_1.0.34-1lsb3.2_amd64.deb
epson-inkjet-printer-escpr2-1.0.34-1lsb3.2.src.rpm
and
epson-printer-utility-1.0.2-1lsb3.2.i486.rpm
epson-printer-utility_1.0.2-1lsb3.2_i386.deb
epson-printer-utility-1.0.2-1lsb3.2.x86_64.rpm
epson-printer-utility_1.0.2-1lsb3.2_amd64.deb
epson-printer-utility-1.0.2-1lsb3.2.src.rpm

Which of these do I need? Simple advice/instructions will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

FotoD.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Matching drivers to an Epson XP-6105 scanner/printer

Post by kyphi »

"rpm" is for those systems that use the (originally) red hat package manager such as Fedora.

"deb" is for the Debian-based systems such as Debian, Ubuntu and Linux Mint.

"386, 486, 586" relates to the 32-bit computer architecture (nearing end-of-life).

"amd64" relates to 64-bit computer architecture and is named amd64 to acknowledge the pioneering work of AMD in developing this.

Since you successfully installed the scanner driver in "x64.deb" format indicates that you are using a 64-bit system, hence, the printer drivers you need are:

epson-inkjet-printer-escpr2_1.0.34-1lsb3.2_amd64.deb
and
epson-printer-utility_1.0.2-1lsb3.2_amd64.deb

The above deb files can be installed via a double mouse click.

The "Image Scan! for Linux" program is Epson's scanning program.

After installing the Epson printer drivers, open "System Settings" (in your Main Menu), scroll down to "Hardware", click on "Printers" and click on "Add (Printer)". On the next screen, click on "Epson Inkjet Printer" and the system will insert a URI (Uniform Resource Identifier) then click on "Forward". The system will search for drivers and present a list from which you can choose. Scroll down the list and select "XP-610". Click on "Epson XP-610 Series" and then on "Forward". Lastly click on "Apply".
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
fotoderek
Level 1
Level 1

Post by fotoderek »

Thank you kyphi. Your reply was exactly the uncomplicated explanation and advice I hoped for.

Unfortunately we are not 'out of the wood' yet. The 'add printer' process was successfully navigated, and the printer/scanner is connected to my network. However, neither Image Scan (Epson) nor Simple Scan find the scanner. I recall seeing something similar when I was trawling the Forum for guidance before I posted my plea for help. An FAQ on the Epson site offers the following:
After Image Scan v3 or Image Scan for Linux installlation (sic) is completed,
the scanner driver may fails (sic) to start or scan.

When using our scanner driver, we recommend that you do the following
(Disable other SANE backends).

Edit /etc/sane.d/dll.conf with administrator authority.
Add '#' to the following line in the setting file.

epson2
epsonds

save and exit.
This is a direct copy/paste of the page, and I'm bewildered by their recommendation. How do I edit that expression, and to what? Where do I find the 'setting file' and, when it reveals itself, do I add the # once or twice?

Another nugget from my trawling suggested switching off the firewall, which I have done, to no avail.

Apologies for my lack of understanding,

FotoD
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

Since your now defunct HP printer/scanner was connected via USB cable, I assumed that your Epson unit would also be connected via USB.

Your Epson, even though it is labelled as wifi, can also be connected via USB in which case it will work without further action. Would you like to try a USB connection first before venturing into wifi?

However, to answer your question, the path to the file to be edited is given as /etc/sane.d/dll.conf. To edit this file you will have to assume administrator privileges and use an editor.
I use nano as my preferred text editor and would therefore, in a terminal window, type sudo nano /etc/sane.d/dll.conf. That will show the contents of dll.conf and you can then, using the down arrow key, scroll to epson2 and epsonds and place a # in front of these two entries.
In nano, use Ctrl (the key) together with x to finish, nano will ask you to confirm that you want to save the new entries with y, then press Enter to amend the file and exit.

You can look at the dll.conf file in read-only mode by opening your file manager (Nemo) click on "File System" (left column), then on "etc", then on "sane.d", then on "dll.conf". That way you will know what it contains. It would be a good idea to save that file to a USB stick so that you have a backup copy if the need arises.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
fotoderek
Level 1
Level 1

Post by fotoderek »

Hello, again, kyphi,

Thank you for your further advice. It highlights my woeful ignorance of the underlying 'nuts-and-bolts' of Linux.

First off, I looked for Nano in the menu. I appear only to have Gedit. However, the Software Manager indicates that Nano is already installed.....but where? The search facility at the top of Menu doesn't respond, so I adapted your input for the terminal, although the subsequent steps (Ctrl x and confirmation to Save) didn't appear. Investigation of

/etc/sane.d/dll.conf
shows that #epson2 and #epsonds are in place. Nevertheless, neither Simple Scan nor Image Scan recognise the scanner.

Just to make sure the new device is not faulty, I resorted to a USB connection and the scanner is recognised. This, however, is not the desired configuration as the device is required to work on two PCs, in different rooms. Previously I had the scanner/printer on my PC and my partner had to email me her document for printing, and I had to email, or otherwise transfer her scans. An inefficient workaround that we tolerated for years, hence the requirement for wifi.

Another trawl in Printers & Scanners found topic 295885 which suggested running

sudo sane-find-scanner
. The result, after disconnecting the USB, was
No SCSI scanners found. If you expected something different, make sure that you have loaded a kernel SCSI driver for your SCSI adapter.
Hoping I'm not outstaying my welcome, what do you suggest I do now?

Thanks in anticipation,

fotoD
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

There are many facilities in a Linux system that do not appear in the main menu - nano is just one of them. Others are the many manuals that can be invoked from the terminal, try man nano.

Now that you have established that your Epson device works correctly using a USB connection, the next step is to make it work via wifi and that entails editing some essential files.

Since you appear to prefer using the graphical user interface, you can use your Text Editor (Xed) to make the necessary changes rather than nano.

First, on the display screen of your XP-610 Series, go to Setup, Network Settings, Wireless LAN Setup, Setup Wizard and configure your connection to your modem. Modems have an unique access code printed on the underside and that number has to be entered on the XP-610. Then you can print a report of the Network Settings for reference and the IP identifying number. On the XP-610 screen you should now see an icon for wifi and a signal strength icon.

(To revert to USB connection, disable WLAN on the Setup Screen, Setup Wizard.)

Next, follow this tutorial: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=225289
Instead of using nano, substitute xed.

I have similar requirements in my house, i.e. two computers in separate rooms. The solution I have used is to have two Epson MFDs (Multi Function Devices) thereby ensuring independence.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

fotoderek wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:34 pm
Just to make sure the new device is not faulty, I resorted to a USB connection and the scanner is recognised. This, however, is not the desired configuration as the device is required to work on two PCs, in different rooms. Previously I had the scanner/printer on my PC and my partner had to email me her document for printing, and I had to email, or otherwise transfer her scans. An inefficient workaround that we tolerated for years, hence the requirement for wifi.
A working USB scanner can be shared on the network.

https://wiki.debian.org/SaneOverNetwork
--
Brian.
fotoderek
Level 1
Level 1

Post by fotoderek »

Thank you, brian_p for what would be a nice solution, but you underestimate my ignorance and timidity. I wouldn't know where to start or how to proceed from the welter of prose on your link.

I'm afraid, kyphi, that I have come unstuck. I don't think I understand your instruction
Observing the alphabetical order, insert the following 2 entries:

net
epkowa
In the file sudo nano /etc/sane.d/dll.conf, I believe the Epson entries are: epjitsu, epson, epson2 & epsonds. I interpret the instruction as inserting epkowa after epjitsu and net after epsonds. That is the opposite of the order you give above. Am I mistaken?

Apologies for my caution,

fotoD
fotoderek
Level 1
Level 1

Post by fotoderek »

I omitted to add to the previous post that, with the additional lines inserted as surmised,

sudo nano /etc/sane.d/epkowa.conf
results in a blank, new file. There is nothing about 'scsi' or 'usb', so I can't add 'net' or the IP address.

fotoD
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

fotoderek wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:42 pm Thank you, brian_p for what would be a nice solution, but you underestimate my ignorance and timidity. I wouldn't know where to start or how to proceed from the welter of prose on your link.
In the interests of brevity:
  • Edit saned.conf on the server (the machine which has the scanner attached).
  • Edit net.conf and dll.conf on the client.
Better?
--
Brian.
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

Observing the alphabetical order is just good housekeeping so that if you ever have to configure a different printer or scanner you can easily find the entries you have amended and alter or remove them.

The reason for a blank file appearing in nano is that the file has as yet not been created.

The scanner bundle can be unpacked and its contents can be installed individually. The file you need to install is in the plugins folder and called
iscan-network-nt_1.1.1-1_amd64.deb
Install with a double click - it will create the epkowa.conf file.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
michael-hi
Level 4
Level 4

Post by michael-hi »

Sorry to jump in here (especially as I don't even own an Epson scanner) but I think there may be some confusion here because fotoderek and kyphi are probably talking about two different pieces of software.

As far as I can see, there are two Epson packages relating to scanners, both called Image Scan. The original poster has correctly downloaded ImageScan v3 (a.k.a. imagescan) which applies to his scanner but some other scanners use an older package called Image Scan! for Linux (a.k.a. iscan). It is the latter which incorporates the 'epkowa' backend, which may explain why the OP did not have an epkowa.conf file - and probably won't be able to find an iscan-network-nt... file either.

Kyphi will no doubt wish to comment further but I suspect the OP is spoilt for choice. Section 7 of the Image Scan v3 manual talks about setting a network plugin, brian_p has given an outline of how to share the scanner on the network and parts of the XP-6105 user's guide also refer to network connections and an alternative option of making a Wi-Fi Direct connection between a computer and the printer/scanner.

None of which I fully understand so I hope I haven't muddied the waters. But the OP should take heart that even if he cannot make the scanner work in Linux at all, the user's guide also refers to ways of scanning from the scanner's control panel, i.e. scanning to the cloud or scanning to memory card, which I assume do not depend on using any particular operating system.
fotoderek
Level 1
Level 1

Post by fotoderek »

Thank you, michael-hi for your perceptive observation. As always, the on-looker sees most.

I was about to post to kyphi the contents of the plug-in that most-closely matched iscan-network-nt_1.1.1-1_amd64.deb. Now I'm confused, but I will peruse the manual for Image Scan V3 and endeavour to escape the hole into which I seem to have fallen.

More later!

fotoD
fotoderek
Level 1
Level 1

Post by fotoderek »

Back again after a day of contemplation and further confusion. Perusal of the manual for Image Scan V3 contains the instruction to open

/etc/imagescan/imagescan.conf
and edit the contents, which are:
[devices]

; myscanner.udi = esci:networkscan://192.168.0.2:1865
; myscanner.vendor = Epson
; myscanner.model = DS-5500

The manual instructs to modify those parameters to:
[device]
net.udi = networkscan:esci://[IP address]:[Port number]
net.vendor = Epson
net.model = DS-XX00
net.name = My Network Scanner
The first point of confusion occurs in the first line below 'devices', where I currently have 'esci:networkscan' and the manual states 'networkscan:esci'.Do I have to invert the statement? Also in that line, the IP address is given as '192.168.0.2' whereas the IP given by the device's network check, which appears to be correct in all other parameters, is '192.168.1.8'. Beyond these points, I assume 'myscanner' becomes 'net' in three cases. The fourth line' 'net.name' is, according to the manual, optional.

Do these alterations seem logical to the experts? I humbly await your thoughts to avoid a potential catastrophe,

fotoD
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

Thank you michael-hi for pointing out that this interchange of advice and information was about two entirely different imagescan programs. You did so in a most considerate manner.
Furthermore, further investigation has revealed that among the Epson products there is an XP-610 Series as well as an XP-6100 Series, the XP-6105 belongs to the latter whereas the information I provided was based on the XP-610 Series.

I will be able to join the octagenarian club next year, fotoD - would that ensure a measure of forgiveness for my error?
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
michael-hi
Level 4
Level 4

Post by michael-hi »

Thanks, kyphi. It's just a shame I have no practical experience of wi-fi networks, IP addresses or even Epson printers so I may not be the best person to be giving out advice!

fotoD:

For what it's worth (see para above) I think you are on the right lines. Looking at the config file, I too am a bit bemused by the two words 'networkscan' and 'esci' seemingly being swapped over. There is also the point that the heading says [devices] in the file but [device] in the manual, but maybe either is OK. Anyway, I think what is given are just examples.

I assume you have already (from the control panel on the Epson) established the connection between the scanner and the router as per kyphi's post of July 4th or as per page 38 of the user guide (Making Wi-Fi Settings by entering the SSID and Password) and that you have established that the device's IP address which needs to be input in the configuration file is 192.168.1.8

In that case, my tentative suggestion as a starting gambit is to change the relevant part of the file to read as follows. As you say, the fourth line is optional so can be omitted.

[device]

net.udi = networkscan:esci://192.168.1.8:1865
net.vendor = Epson
net.model = XP-6105
As before, you need to edit the file as root i.e. with sudo. Alternatively, if you right-click on the file, you may even have an option to "open as administrator" or similar, which makes things simpler. Good luck!

kyphi:

I hope the above looks OK to you? Any comments welcome!
fotoderek
Level 1
Level 1

Post by fotoderek »

Good evening Gentlemen,

Following the the manual and the interpretation from michael-hi I have edited the file

. Nevertheless, Image Scan and Simple Scan simply (no pun intended!) refuse to see the device. In the absence of any further help from the manual, I feel an urge to attempt the solution proposed by brian_p, but not tonight. I need to sleep on it!

More tomorrow, I hope,

fotoD
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Try this link and see if it helps:

viewtopic.php?f=51&t=272649&hilit=epson#p1491631
michael-hi
Level 4
Level 4

Post by michael-hi »

Or you could try what this user did to get his Epson working...

viewtopic.php?t=248860#p1422698
fotoderek
Level 1
Level 1

Post by fotoderek »

Good evening Gentlemen,

I am delighted to report that, having identified and corrected my own typo made during the editing of

scanning and printing are now operational. I thank you all for your advice and support.

fotoD

Return to “Beginner Questions”