lost all recent urls (NOT bookmarks)

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bad medicine
Level 4
Level 4

lost all recent urls (NOT bookmarks)

Post by bad medicine »

One recent day I booted up and all of the urls the address bar on Firefox had been saving for several years were gone. In their place were old addresses that I haven't typed, used, seen in the address bar, or visited in at least several years.

So literally EVERY site that I frequently visited was gone from my address bar's memory, without exception. I would estimate I lost every address I visited regularly in the last 2-3 years, at least. Every single one. I'm baffled by the fact that their date of usage seems to have been the cutoff for whatever cut them off, and baffled that old stuff I never use reappeared. It was like stepping into a wormhole and coming out in 2015. Except my bookmarks are completely intact, and nothing else was affected.

I'm asking mostly out of curiosity, as I doubt it can be recovered.

Plus, I am still on Mint 17.3 and Firefox for Mint 1.0, but I am now gathering the info I need to upgrade in the next week or so.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Thinkpad T410 Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: lost all recent urls

Post by MrEen »

Do you have more than one user on the system? Could you have accidentally logged in as another (not used in years) user?

EDIT: Just realized the part about bookmarks. Maybe Firefox Sync?
bad medicine
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bad medicine »

MrEen wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:51 pm Do you have more than one user on the system? Could you have accidentally logged in as another (not used in years) user?

EDIT: Just realized the part about bookmarks. Maybe Firefox Sync?
I'm the only user...I don't Sync, I have nothing to Sync to...
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

I'm about out of ideas I'm afraid.

If you start typing the URL of something recently visited, does that autocomplete properly?
bad medicine
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bad medicine »

MrEen wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:22 pm I'm about out of ideas I'm afraid.

If you start typing the URL of something recently visited, does that autocomplete properly?
No. That's how I discovered it. It will only recall things from years ago, and urls I've visited since this partial amnesia happened a few days ago.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

I'm not asking you to try this, but have you rebooted since it began? Or closed and reopened the browser?
bad medicine
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bad medicine »

MrEen wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:47 pm I'm not asking you to try this, but have you rebooted since it began? Or closed and reopened the browser?
Yup. Several times. I also ran a badblocks check on all of my partitions
bad medicine
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bad medicine »

My browsing History was also gone, and I never delete it. I'm not sure if that's where the urls for the address bar are stored too, or if the History is completely separate.
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

Since bookmarks, etc are stored in your home directory in .mozilla, you can easily restore these if the need arises from your backup.

The .mozilla folder contains a default file with your bookmarks information as well as a profile folder. Check to make sure that there is only one default file and that it is correctly referenced in the profile folder.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
bad medicine
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bad medicine »

I have my bookmarks backed up. I don't have my urlbar history backed up. And neither, apparently, does Firefox.
Lanser

Post by Lanser »

Firefox makes daily backup copies of your bookmarks. Check in your profile under "bookmarkbackups". Firefox should be able to restore any of these.
Regardless, I manually run a bookmark export and save a copy every month... just in case.

Lanser
bad medicine
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bad medicine »

I didn't lose any bookmarks.

Return to “Software & Applications”