Install gksu so gksu and gksudo work again in Mint 19. 64bit.

Write tutorials for Linux Mint here
More tutorials on https://github.com/orgs/linuxmint/discu ... /tutorials and (archive) on https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial
Forum rules
Don't add support questions to tutorials; start your own topic in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post read forum rules
redlined

Re: Install gksu so gksu and gksudo work again in Mint 19. 64bit.

Post by redlined »

hi LuvNix!

This sentence doesn't make sense to me :?
I think doing away with gksu, the pkexec and admin:/// developments for launching graphical apps with elevated privileges is dumb and that it's being poorly handled by whomever upstream
it sounds as if you are saying "in doing away with gksu, (the) pkexec and admin:///" which is not accurate in context of entire sentence, as I understand it. (it does read as I think you intend it, if semicolon is used in place of that comma, so more a grammatical nitpick allowing confusion than a bad statement) Also a note to readers may be well served - that while gksu has been removed the other elevated privilege commands su, sudo, pkexec and admin:/// are all still present.

I also feel it would be wise to include some of the warnings and the example commands shared that reference thread you linked that show rdepends of gksu so folks can determine if they even need gksu for anything, otherwise why even bother to install it?
$ apt-cache rdepends gksu
gksu
Reverse Depends:
gexec
wicd-gtk
spacefm-gtk3
spacefm
|menu
$ aptitude why gksu
i menu Suggests gksu | kde-runtime | ktsuss
ps, from ref thread, Quote of the Day: "Might as well play sudoku until this mess is figured out" :mrgreen:
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

just a few minutes ago i wanted to see what would happen if i too my gksu and libgksu packages from arch and mix them with my mint 19. well it opens up with no issues but i don't get the save to keyring option which is what i really want
do you get a prompt to save to keyring? and if so does opening a gksu app next time offer to save to keyring again or is the password saved?
Last edited by trytip on Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

this is what i mean about saving the password. which window do you get when you open gksu something?

arch

mint19
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

the whole point of my using gksu is to save to session or keyring. if i can't do that in mint19 i don't see any real use for gksu :( in mint19 which is odd since in arch you get cutting edge software but gksu works as it always has like in mint17
so to me makes no difference which i use in mint19 and i'll stick with pkexec. (but at the same time i'll just keep my arch packages of gksu/libgksu in mint19)
my mission is to have a setup that eliminates me entering a password if i need some root actions without having an extra password service running
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

i'm not expecting anything i just want this window to open in mint 19 (has nothing to do with themes though) ubuntu 18 removed this option which affects mint19. how can i get this in mint19? again i don't expect anything just wondering why i can't get this with mint19? if you find the answer than i'm not worthy :D i have butchered mint19 earlier and i did get this window to open but did not save the password

trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

no need for that my friend, to be honest i was working on gksu with keyring a while back but gave up after i broke quite a few things so i wouldn't advice anyone to go on a quest and get it working. in my arch it just works, i needed no extra help aside installing gksu and libgksu
Last edited by trytip on Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

i'll give you a workaround for pkexec that has a policy. when you enter pkexec thunar or whatever pkexec if it has an individual policy you can edit it to allow you and open it with no password. it's useful if you want to limit password entries. but as with all files i compress them so i can easily undo my mess. rightclick and compress on a file will quickly back it up

i'll let you figure out if this is useful or not. for instance timeshift used to have an individual policy which you can edit and use with no password but they got wise and updated it with a generic policy
/usr/share/polkit-1/actions/
Last edited by trytip on Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TI58C
Level 4
Level 4

Post by TI58C »

Hi LuvNix,

Thanks for this tutorial/post. Just did a 19.1 install (came from 17.3). Have not been active on this forum for a long time, so did not know about removal of gksudo. And missed it dearly.

Understand that gksu is no longer maintained, and that new way of doing things (pkexec. admin://) is probably better. Your method of installing gksu will give me a bit more time to adapt (I'm an old man and rather set in my ways). Thanks again.

Robert
Linux is like my late labrador lady-dog: loyal and loving if you treat her lady-like, disbehaving princess if you don't.
bartv

Post by bartv »

What's wrong with creating a gksu link to pkexec? Seems to work just fine.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

LuvNix wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:55 pm I think doing away with gksu, the pkexec and admin:/// developments for launching graphical apps with elevated privileges is dumb and that it's being poorly handled by whomever upstream.
That was a terrible idea, apparently a poor attempt at fixing a non-existent problem. Besides that, the new stuff never worked** for me so I installed gksudo, etc, as you suggest, a long time ago. Works great, just like it used to.

Code: Select all

$ xed admin:///etc/fstab 
** (xed:1777): WARNING **: 08:05:57.846: The specified location is not mounted
and xed displays a blank page with a titlebar saying "fstab (admin:///etc)", whatever that means; it's not the fstab file.

I particularly enjoy the friendly, informative messages! The culprit behind this garbage is hilighted:

$ pkexec xed /etc/fstab
==== AUTHENTICATING FOR org.
freedesktop

.policykit.exec ===
Authentication is needed to run `/usr/bin/xed' as the super user
Authenticating as: xxxxx,, (xxxxx)
Password: 
polkit-agent-helper-1: error response to PolicyKit daemon: GDBus.Error:org.
freedesktop

.PolicyKit1.Error.Failed: No session for cookie
==== AUTHENTICATION FAILED ===
Error executing command as another user: Not authorized

This incident has been reported.
$
"No session for cookie!" sounds like the soup guy in Seinfeld.

"freedesktop" consistently excretes crappy software with horrible documentation and is ruining linux.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
TI58C
Level 4
Level 4

Post by TI58C »

Hear hear !

Robert
Linux is like my late labrador lady-dog: loyal and loving if you treat her lady-like, disbehaving princess if you don't.

Return to “Tutorials”