Linux Mint says that my docx and Excel files does not exist [SOLVED]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Larry78723
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Linux Mint says that my docx and Excel files does not exist

Post by Larry78723 »

See if you can see the files now.
If you have found the solution to your initial post, please open your original post, click on the pencil, and add (Solved) to the Subject, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Stegemueller

Post by Stegemueller »

Larry78723 wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:56 am See if you can see the files now.
When I try with nemo it says that "there is no such file or file catalogue" (like the drive is unmounted). And additional: "Can not mount 1 TB HDD"

When I look with Disks (GUI) it shows that it is mounted on /mnt/ (but no figures after this like there was before).

When I look with terminal /media/hanne ls -a it is still empty.
Larry78723
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Larry78723 »

check your /mnt folder
If you have found the solution to your initial post, please open your original post, click on the pencil, and add (Solved) to the Subject, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Stegemueller

Post by Stegemueller »

I have been wondering one thing and that is that I can see nothing at all when I look in media/hanne ls -a. There should also be anothere drive and that drive works and is mounted. I don't know whether that is important.
Stegemueller

Post by Stegemueller »

Waugh here the important files are in the folder called Fra_windows ("fra" means "from")

Code: Select all

hanne@hanne-System-Product-Name:/mnt$ ls -a
 .   ..   backintime   Dokumenter   Fra_windows   hanne  '$RECYCLE.BIN'  'System Volume Information'   .Trash-0   .Trash-1000  'Unavngivet dokument'
hanne@hanne-System-Product-Name:/mnt$ 
Larry78723
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Larry78723 »

Are those what you were expecting to see? If so, go into your file manager and see if you can open any of the files.
Stegemueller

Post by Stegemueller »

Larry78723 wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:18 am Are those what you were expecting to see? If so, go into your file manager and see if you can open any of the files.
Yea I definately expect to see "Fra_windows", but I can not access the files as they are placed on the drive that is not mounted (the 1 TB HDD) When I try with nemo to open the drive, I get the message, that it can not mount the drive.

I should clarify. I see "Fra_windows" in /mnt folder.
Rocky Bennett
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Rocky Bennett »

Are you dual booting with Windows? Do you have fast start-up disabled in your BIOS and in Windows power config?
Stegemueller

Post by Stegemueller »

Rocky Bennett wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:38 am Are you dual booting with Windows? Do you have fast start-up disabled in your BIOS and in Windows power config?
No there is no dual boot with Windows.

I think my BIOS is pretty much standard as I have never done anything in there - I'm a little afraid of fiddling around in there. But I can check, if you want me to? But the problem with the files is new; it has not been there all the time, when I have been on Linux (1-2 months or so).

Forget about this

There is dual Boot with Windows. I just never use it. Thats why I forgot.
Larry78723
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Larry78723 »

OK Hanne, in the terminal, run the following commands

umount /dev/sdc1 

sudo mkdir /mnt/fra_windows

sudo mount -t vfat -o defaults,noatime,utf8,umask=000,uid=1000,gid=1000 /dev/sdc1 /mnt/fra_windows

sudo chown -R -v $USER:$USER /mnt/fra_windows
See if you can get into the files in the folder /mnt/fra_windows
Stegemueller

Post by Stegemueller »

Larry78723 wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:09 pm OK Hanne, in the terminal, run the following commands

umount /dev/sdc1 

sudo mkdir /mnt/fra_windows

sudo mount -t vfat -o defaults,noatime,utf8,umask=000,uid=1000,gid=1000 /dev/sdc1 /mnt/fra_windows

sudo chown -R -v $USER:$USER /mnt/fra_windows
See if you can get into the files in the folder /mnt/fra_windows
Hi Larry

The first command umount /dev/sdc1 did not succeed: In Danish it says "Umount did not succeed. the operation is not allowed. " I think there is no reason I try the next commands, before you have seen this.

I cheked in BIOS. I have:
MRC fast boot. Set to auto. Coould also be disabled or enabled.
Fast boot: Set to Enabled.
Larry78723
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Larry78723 »

In BIOS, disable fast boot. Go back to Disks program and unmount the partition again then run the rest of the commands.
Stegemueller

Post by Stegemueller »

Larry78723 wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:20 pm In BIOS, disable fast boot. Go back to Disks program and unmount the partition again then run the rest of the commands.
OK - just a moment.
Stegemueller

Post by Stegemueller »

Larry78723 wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:20 pm In BIOS, disable fast boot. Go back to Disks program and unmount the partition again then run the rest of the commands.
I come to command #3

"sudo mount -t vfat -o defaults,noatime,utf8,umask=000,uid=1000,gid=1000 /dev/sdc1 /mnt/fra_windows" which returns the message:

"The mountpoint does not exist."

Here there was a misunderstanding (I'm sorry. I did not see it should bee Fra_windows and not fra winows. Then this command ran fine.
Larry78723
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Larry78723 »

check to see if the /mnt/fra_windows folder was created
Stegemueller

Post by Stegemueller »

Waugh now something is running on my screen.... If "we" succeed witht this I'll be so so happy.

I tried to access with nemo and got the message I have to bee root. I changed the rights and it works it works it works! You have eve soluted a problem with strange characters in file names.

Thank you ever so much!
Larry78723
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Larry78723 »

Run the last command in a terminal and you should be able to open them without being "Root" or changing permissions
Larry78723
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Larry78723 »

Are you going to copy the files to your main drive or do you want to make this a permanent mount so you can see that drive every time you boot the machine?
Stegemueller

Post by Stegemueller »

Larry78723 wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:54 pm Are you going to copy the files to your main drive or do you want to make this a permanent mount so you can see that drive every time you boot the machine?
I would like to have the drive permanently mounted because that drive is so large.
Larry78723
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Larry78723 »

OK, that is what I thought you would want. You need to open your file manager, click on File System in the left panel, then right click on the /etc folder and select "Open as Root" (yours might say Open as Administrator). When the new window opens, scroll down to the fstab file and open it.

Let me know when you have it open.

Return to “Beginner Questions”