New HD Won't Open for Second Session

Forum rules
Before you post please read this
BigH
Level 1
Level 1

New HD Won't Open for Second Session

Post by BigH » Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:23 am

[SOLVED] Hi guys and gals - Newbie here.

I bought a new 2tb external HD the other day and when I connected it to my Acer laptop running Mint 19.0, it worked perfectly. I transferred a few hundred Gb's of data from my laptop to my new external drive with effortless performance. Upon shutting my rig down for the day I simply pulled the USB cable out of the computer port and then shut the laptop down. This is a practice I have done countless times in the past to other XHDs with no problems whatsoever. However, upon starting my laptop the next day and plugging in my new XHD I discovered it would not open. All the proper startup steps (I am assuming) were there: XHD light came on, the little "bell" sounded in my laptop (indicating to me it was ready to work), but it was not read by Nemo, my files manager. Normally, a new Nemo window would appear when this "bell" sounded, but this too, failed to occur. When viewed in "Treeview" mode the XHD was not found. Upon switching to "Places" mode, the XHD was listed there but was non responsive. All attempts to "mount" and "open" the drive were fruitless.

I have tried to click on and use the "eject" command in the past with an older XHD, and afterwards, this same, non-responsive behavior occurred, causing me not to use this feature again.

My questions; How can I open my hard drive? And, what is the proper way to disconnect my XHD from my laptop, should I wish to do so?

Awaiting your reply, I am,

Very Sincerely,

Big H
Last edited by BigH on Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

deck_luck
Level 4
Level 4

Re: New HD Won't Open for Second Session

Post by deck_luck » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:36 am

You should unmount or eject your file systems before unplugging your external USB storage device. By doing so it will ensure all files are properly closed and the file system meta data is updated.

If the file system will not mount you can use the disks utility to check and or repair the external USB file system(s).
🐧Linux Mint 19.1 XFCE
💡Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and you feed him for a lifetime. ✝️

BigH
Level 1
Level 1

Post by BigH » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:18 pm

Thank you, deck_luck, for your swift reply. As I mentioned in yesterdays posting, I did use the "eject" command once and came away with the same problem I have described to you. Hence, I have been cautious about using it again.

You mentioned the "disks" utility. What is that and where can i find it?

Thanks again for your help.

Cordially,

Big H

deck_luck
Level 4
Level 4

Post by deck_luck » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:06 am

Use the search capabilities of the Linux Mint menu and enter disks.
The disks utility is a gnome disk management program.
🐧Linux Mint 19.1 XFCE
💡Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and you feed him for a lifetime. ✝️

BigH
Level 1
Level 1

Post by BigH » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:01 pm

SOLVED: The Disks utility worked perfectly. Thanks for all the help.

Return to “Mounting Partitions”