Another Installation Glitch

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nsivin
Level 3
Level 3

Another Installation Glitch

Post by nsivin »

I tried installing Mint v. 7 x64 within Windows from the 64-bit CD burned from a download today (setup below). The install dialog recommended putting the OS on drive F:, located on a second hard disk that I use only for backup, and normally lock away. It installed without difficulty.

Because keeping Mint on this drive was a nuisance, I uninstalled it, again without trouble, using the Windows Control Panel.

I then did the same installation, this time specifying drive C:, the drive on which I keep Windows and applications but not data files. About 20 gigs is free. The installation proceeded until it finished the Creating Image stage, at which point it complained that it could no longer access the CD and asked me to retry. It again created the image, and again gave the error message when just finished. I then tried the same installation with both the downloaded ISO file and MINT4WIN.EXE in the same directory (some users had found this necessary with an earlier version). Same deadly cycle, although it shouldn't have needed the CD. I finally had to give up. I tried to install on the D:\, data partition on my first hard drive, which has plenty of room. Same glitch.

Have other people run into this problem? Any simple way of dealing with it? I don't want to make a new partition, which would involve the hassle of renaming all the others.

End PC Noise Workstation
Windows XP SP3
4 partitions on 2 hard drives (second for backup only)
AMD Athlon dual-core 4200+ 64-bit CPU
NVIDIA GeForce 6200 Turbocache video card
Samsung quiet 160GB SATA2 hard drive
ASUS A8V-E SE motherboard with 64-bit support, 3 quiet fans
2 GB DDR-400 memory
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
------------------
Nathan Sivin
History and Sociology of Science
University of Pennsylvania
nsivin@sas.upenn.edu
www.ccat.sas.upenn.edu/~nsivin
Husse

Re: Another Installation Glitch

Post by Husse »

Seems to me to be something in Windows - a registry key pointing the wrong way for the CD
mint4win is a kind of Windows program so I fear this can happen
I say so because now you can't install anywhere - possibly F would work
If so it's definitely something in Windows
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

nsivin wrote:I then tried the same installation with both the downloaded ISO file and MINT4WIN.EXE in the same directory (some users had found this necessary with an earlier version). Same deadly cycle, although it shouldn't have needed the CD.
And windows is the 64bit OS version, otherwise it would either not work, or there would be issues loading the 64bit OS under the 32bit executable ??
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide
Cannot access the CD
This sometimes happens when a DVD media/drive is used and/or if the CD is corrupted and/or if the support is of poor quality and/or the CD/DVD is not finalized. Wubi does not require a physical CD, download wubi from http://wubi-installer.org and run it without the CD in the tray. If you have already downloaded the ISO file, place the ISO in the same directory as Wubi.exe.
Oops!, just saw you tried that already
--maybe you can use wubi to install mint 7?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=706167
The simple workaround is to put ISO and wubi.exe in the same folder but the above info will help to handle future cases.
Husse

Post by Husse »

One thing - did you make a normal install on F - the first install or was that with mint4win
My answer assumed mint4win but if you made a normal install on F this may be a 32 to 64 bit problem - is there even a 64 bit Win XP - I missed completely that you used the 64 bit version - sorry - read way to many posts :)
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

If you are using mint4win.exe with the correct iso in the same folder it shouldn't be creating an iso.(name has to be LinuxMint-7-x64.iso for x64bit version)
Check the md5sum of the iso.(87a2c48f43f83278f37cd547be74ea74 LinuxMint-7-x64.iso)
It should say something like copying image and not try the cd, unless the cd is in the drive.
If the file is corrupt in any way it should download a new iso.
nsivin
Level 3
Level 3

Post by nsivin »

Not only were the ISO file and MINT4WIN.EXE in the same directory (Desktop) but the CD was in the drive; in fact, with this setup I tried installing from MINT4WIN.EXE on the desktop and from the CD. Same result both ways. Since other people have not been reporting this problem, I gave up and installed Mint on its own partition in the hard drive. It works fine.
------------------
Nathan Sivin
History and Sociology of Science
University of Pennsylvania
nsivin@sas.upenn.edu
www.ccat.sas.upenn.edu/~nsivin

Return to “Installation & Boot”