[SOLVED] Screen tearing on LM 19 xfce edition

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
LinuxIsFun

Re: Screen tearing on LM 19 xfce edition

Post by LinuxIsFun »

I found the solution
All i had to do was first do the updates,then use xfwm4+compositor
As it's better than all the other.
pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcpunk »

I was wondering about that but did not pick up on the fact that this was a new install! Of course if the system is new without updates it won't work correctly. Now you have the Intel Driver.

Code: Select all

Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.19.6 ) driver: intel
:D
HP Compaq nx7400, Cinnamon 19.2
Intel R Core™2CPU, T5500@1.66GHz, 4GB Crucial RAM
Super Clean Runs Perfect
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

pcpunk wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:23 pm I wonder if installing the Intel driver would be better?

Open the Driver Manager and see if there is a Driver there.
There's no such thing as INtel closed dsrivers that would show up ijn DM, never has been.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

i know im late to the party here but if your still getting some light screen tearing even after the updates on your 1.66 atom CPU, this works...

Open a terminal and run these commands in sequence:

sudo mkdir -v /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d

then

echo -e 'Section "Device"\n Identifier "Intel Graphics"\n Driver "Intel"\n Option "AccelMethod" "sna"\n Option "TearFree" "true"\nEndSection' | sudo tee /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf
now REBOOT to pick up the changes. <-- It's IMPORTANT that you reboot to apply the changes

To UNDO

Open a terminal and run:

sudo rm -v /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf
and REBOOT.
LinuxIsFun

Post by LinuxIsFun »

thanks to everyone who helped with this issue
deanr72
Level 3
Level 3

Post by deanr72 »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:00 am i know im late to the party here but if your still getting some light screen tearing even after the updates on your 1.66 atom CPU, this works...

Open a terminal and run these commands in sequence:

sudo mkdir -v /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d

then

echo -e 'Section "Device"\n Identifier "Intel Graphics"\n Driver "Intel"\n Option "AccelMethod" "sna"\n Option "TearFree" "true"\nEndSection' | sudo tee /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf
now REBOOT to pick up the changes. <-- It's IMPORTANT that you reboot to apply the changes

To UNDO

Open a terminal and run:

sudo rm -v /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf
and REBOOT.
Hi. Just picking up on an old thread here. This solution worked fine on my laptop. Is there a similar cure for the following:

GPU: AMD KAVERI (DRM 2.50.0, 4.15.0-54-generic, LLVM 8.0.0)

Much obliged.
pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Re: [SOLVED] Screen tearing on LM 19 xfce edition

Post by pcpunk »

Thanks for the input, I don't know about that card but look at THIS.
https://www.maketecheasier.com/get-rid- ... ng-linux/
HP Compaq nx7400, Cinnamon 19.2
Intel R Core™2CPU, T5500@1.66GHz, 4GB Crucial RAM
Super Clean Runs Perfect
deanr72
Level 3
Level 3

Post by deanr72 »

Hi, pcpunk.

Yes, I've seen that. But it's not as decipherable (or rather simply copy & pasteable) as @DAMIEN1307's post.

Looking at that, and then looking at this link, would the following two terminal commands do the job?

sudo mkdir -v /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf

echo -e 'Section "Device"\n Identifier "Intel Graphics"\n Driver "Intel"\n Option "TearFree" "true"\nEndSection'

What about the information after the EndSection? Is that necessary? That is: | sudo tee /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

hi dean...keep in mind that the script i used is ONLY for intel chipsets...nvidia is entirely different and i do not have the codes for nvidia since i dont use nvidia...someone else who uses nvidia is going to be more knowledgeable in this matter...DAMIEN
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

this may be helpful for your nvidia...just a shot in the dark here...DAMIEN

For Ubuntu based 18.04 with Nvidia driver 390.xx (not from ppa, just from Ubuntu repo).

edit this file (or create it)

sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d/zz-nvidia-modeset.conf
and add this line
options nvidia_drm modeset=1
On Ubuntu based 18.04 it's not recommended to write nvidia driver version in line above
after all, update initramfs with

sudo update-initramfs -u
then reboot.
deanr72
Level 3
Level 3

Post by deanr72 »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:33 am hi dean...keep in mind that the script i used is ONLY for intel chipsets...nvidia is entirely different
Yes, and indeed I've got AMD in my Lenovo H50-55. So that's something completely different again, right? :(
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

hi dean...OK here we go with another shot in the dark for your AMD on Lenovo...DAMIEN
If you dont have mesa-utils installed, then do this:

sudo apt-get install mesa-utils
Then do this:

sudo mkdir /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/
Then do this:

echo -e ‘Section “Device” Identifier “Radeon” Driver “radeon” Option “TearFree” “on” EndSection’ | sudo tee /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-amd.conf
Then reboot.

After reboot, you will "hopefully" find screen tearing has been eliminate. If you wish to revert the changes, open the terminal and add the following:

sudo rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-amd.conf
Then reboot
deanr72
Level 3
Level 3

Post by deanr72 »

Nah, didn't work. :(

Well, at least not as far as I know. When I rebooted it would only boot to terminal, not the desktop. Fortunately I had the presence of mind to use the sudo rm command and get back into my desktop.

Ho hum. I really should stop messing around with my main working machine like this, shouldn't I? :?

I've read in a few places now that the 5.? kernel has solved screentearing on Ubuntu. Is that actually likely? Not that I'll start playing around with kernels, of course - but at least I can wait knowing that a possible fix is in the pipeline.

Return to “Beginner Questions”