Oh dear!

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Oh dear!

Post by AndyMH »

Neneh Cherry's set on the West Holts stage at Glastonbury this weekend. Looks like she should have been using mint :D
glasto2.jpg
looks like the BIOS to me?
glasto.jpg
Uhmmm.... too poor to get win10?

Full article here https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-48817384
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
RIH
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Oh dear!

Post by RIH »

She is far from alone.. :D
I landed in Yangon (Rangoon when I went to school) a couple of months ago & the baggage retrieval screens all displayed the identical XP logo.
Luckily there were only 4 carousels & only 1 was moving...
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

YUP - - it's still quite surprising, just where you can still find that venerable win-xp system.
:lol:
actually - - that's quite :( really. .. .
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

bbc article:
"Half-way through Neneh Cherry's set on the West Holts stage, as she performed a laid-back take on 7 Seconds, the laptop running her video screens spluttered to a halt, leaving the singer performing in front of the boot screen and the Windows XP logo for the best part of a minute."
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Article from The Portreve Times

Rap "artist" Neneh Cherry, who was using an obsolete, proprietary operating system on her laptop, performed for over a minute in front of Microsoft's iconic Windows XP screen after her laptop crashed and rebooted itself. Out of date as the operating system is, it is still more recent than the Windows 3.1-based system used in French airports, and significantly more modern than the United States's own nuclear missile silo network, which still uses a system that is 8 inch (20,32 cm) floppy-disk based. Ms. Cherry could not be reached for comment.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Many mission critical systems are run on old hardware and even older software. Usually it is because it is a known product and more predictable than newer stuff. When I was in Telecom, we used to maintain the telecoms for our local military establishments. The laugh was we'd need a security clearance and guard to enter their top secret communications facility to maintain gear that the rest of the world had pensioned off when Noah got off the Ark.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

:mrgreen:
RIH wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:30 am I landed in Yangon (Rangoon when I went to school) a couple of months ago & the baggage retrieval screens all displayed the identical XP logo.
Something similar happened when looking for the correct check-in a few years back, not sure whether it was in Turkey or Croatia, might even have been somewhere else. Can't remember what version of Windows they were using. All the monitors were showing the bootup screens .. :roll: :lol: luckily we didn't miss the plane in all the confusion.

Also, a few days ago, on the BBC News Channel, when it was time for the weather report, the announcer commented something to the effect of "You know when your computer stops loading in the middle of something and seems to stop there for an age? Well, it's just happened to us .." and the camera view switched to show the screen with the hanging machine .. :lol: I might just write to them & ask what it was they were using. If I do, and get a response, I'll probably post it here.
Portreve wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:10 pm Cherry could not be reached for comment.
Probably still waiting for her computer to reboot .. :lol:

Reminds me of when I was running Windows on this machine. Several agonizing minutes to load applications, or even a web page ... AARRGGHH :x
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

lsemmens wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:53 am Many mission critical systems are run on old hardware and even older software. Usually it is because it is a known product and more predictable than newer stuff.
I fully support using hardened, well-worn technology to back a variety of use cases, especially mission-critical ones.
When I was in Telecom, we used to maintain the telecoms for our local military establishments. The laugh was we'd need a security clearance and guard to enter their top secret communications facility to maintain gear that the rest of the world had pensioned off when Noah got off the Ark.
“Loading Surprised Reaction, Please Wait”

sphyrth

Post by sphyrth »

Plot Twist: Her system was purposefully programmed to promote the Legacy Microsoft OS. I could still hear that opening theme, actually.
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

sphyrth wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:17 am Plot Twist: Her system was purposefully programmed to promote the Legacy Microsoft OS.
I'd say it does more to demote that old OS. Whilst it was great in terms of what was available at the time with commercial OSes, it did bork itself on numerous occasions. Plenty of hangs, freezes, Blue Screens of Death and the more occasional random reboots.

At least (IIRC) they hadn't yet introduced that condescending message along the lines of "This program has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience. If you were in the middle of something, what you were working on might be lost."

AARGHH!
  • Encountered a problem? You mean it's crashed. There will probably be a meaningless string of alphanumeric characters to describe the "problem" (meaning "coding error") which you can not copy and paste in to a browser or other tool. It will probably not be saved anywhere (you can (easily?) find) either.
  • Needs to close? For pete's sake. IT HAS CRASHED AND WILL BE TERMINATED. Probably leaving half its contents in RAM.
  • If you were in the middle of something .. well, maybe not the middle, but I was quite likely working on something, otherwise the program wouldn't be running in the first place (unless it's one of your hidden ones).
As for "might" be lost; it usually was. :x

The aforementioned "baby-talk" message would have been a bit more embarrassing for Microsoft, though, if that had been displayed in front of a large audience at an event such as this. :roll: :lol: It'd remind people of just how dumbed-down their OS has become!
                                         :roll:                                                                                                       ... :mrgreen:

Footnote:
I thought Linux was becoming more popular with musicians, especially considering the parallels with Mac OS, as there are programs for such and even distros oriented towards music production? (Probably not relevant here though as that was a video presentation).
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
RIH
Level 9
Level 9

Post by RIH »

The United Kingdom's GCHQ's National Cyber Security Centre has just released its' annual report.
Included in the report is the detail that...
at least 318 public sector networks still routinely using Windows XP despite Microsoft having pulled nearly all support for the operating system in 2014
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

RIH wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:45 am The United Kingdom's GCHQ's National Cyber Security Centre has just released its' annual report.
Included in the report is the detail that...
at least 318 public sector networks still routinely using Windows XP despite Microsoft having pulled nearly all support for the operating system in 2014
And this fact seriously surprises anyone?

BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

RIH wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:45 am The United Kingdom's GCHQ's National Cyber Security Centre has just released its' annual report.
For some reason I misinterpreted this to mean an internal report i.e. their systems included all these xp installations .. :roll: I would think they still have some, though, for testing.

Return to “Open Chat”