[Solved] Linux Mint 19.2 Beta mis-identifies processor?

Questions about virtualization software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
WetGeek

[Solved] Linux Mint 19.2 Beta mis-identifies processor?

Post by WetGeek »

I'm trying to create a VirtualBox VM for testing version 19.2 Beta, but am told during installation that my processor is a 686, and x86_64 is required.

The processor in question is an AMD Ryzen 2700 with 8 cores, and it's definitely NOT a 32-bit processor. Hardware virtualization is enabled. The ISO I'm using is linuxmint-19.2-xfce-64bit-beta.iso, downloaded from the Linux Mint site. VirtualBox and its guest additions ISO are both current.

No such error occurs when I create a VM from the linuxmint-19.1-xfce-64bit.iso on the same host.

If anyone else has encountered this error and found a solution, I'd appreciate hearing from you!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Beta mis-identifies processor?

Post by JeremyB »

My guess would be that the CPU setting in the VM is the cause

Thread moved to Virtualization from Community Projects
ajgringo619

Post by ajgringo619 »

What version of VB are you using? I just upgraded to v6.0.10 (to fix a sound issue with Windows 10 guests) and the 19.2 beta installed fine.
WetGeek

Post by WetGeek »

JeremyB wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:54 pm My guess would be that the CPU setting in the VM is the cause

Thanks for moving it to a better place. I was looking for a location about the beta, but couldn't find anything.

Did you notice that I mentioned I had no problem creating a 19.1 VM on the same host? All settings were exactly the same for both VMs. 19.1 installation worked fine, 19.2 beta failed, implying that it's a beta issue that should be looked at.

Also, I couldn't find any relevant CPU setting for 686/x86_64 that applies to the VMs. Just the number of CPUs, which I always set to 4.
ajgringo619

Post by ajgringo619 »

WetGeek wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:14 pm
JeremyB wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:54 pm My guess would be that the CPU setting in the VM is the cause

Thanks for moving it to a better place. I was looking for a location about the beta, but couldn't find anything.

Did you notice that I mentioned I had no problem creating a 19.1 VM on the same host? All settings were exactly the same for both VMs. 19.1 installation worked fine, 19.2 beta failed, implying that it's a beta issue that should be looked at.

Also, I couldn't find any relevant CPU setting for 686/x86_64 that applies to the VMs. Just the number of CPUs, which I always set to 4.
That's why I asked what version of VirtualBox you are using. I've only seen settings like the 686/x86_64 in KVM.
WetGeek

Post by WetGeek »

ajgringo619 wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:11 pm What version of VB are you using? I just upgraded to v6.0.10 (to fix a sound issue with Windows 10 guests) and the 19.2 beta installed fine.
This gets curiouser and curiouser. I'm running version 6.0.10 r132072. A possible difference just occurred to me ... did you install from the Xfce version ISO?
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

WetGeek wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:14 pmI was looking for a location about the beta, but couldn't find anything.
Feedback and problem reports on beta versions, as in the past, go into the corresponding Linux Mint blog comments:
+ Mint 19.2 Cinnamon (beta)
+ Mint 19.2 Mate (beta)
+ Mint 19.2 xfce (beta)

Reproducible bugs should be reported on Github: https://github.com/linuxmint/mint19.2-beta
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
ajgringo619

Post by ajgringo619 »

WetGeek wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:19 pm
ajgringo619 wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:11 pm What version of VB are you using? I just upgraded to v6.0.10 (to fix a sound issue with Windows 10 guests) and the 19.2 beta installed fine.
This gets curiouser and curiouser. I'm running version 6.0.10 r132072. A possible difference just occurred to me ... did you install from the Xfce version ISO?
Yep - didn't want to change anything you'd already tried. In all of the installs I've done with VirtualBox, I've never encountered the error you're getting.
ajgringo619

Post by ajgringo619 »

What mirror did you download from? I got mine from here: http://mirrors.kernel.org/linuxmint/tes ... t-beta.iso
WetGeek

Post by WetGeek »

ajgringo619 wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:28 pm What mirror did you download from? I got mine from here: http://mirrors.kernel.org/linuxmint/tes ... t-beta.iso
I used "University of Washington, Mathematics," because it's only about 15 miles from my location. I assumed they'd all contain the same ISO.
ajgringo619

Post by ajgringo619 »

WetGeek wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:32 pm
ajgringo619 wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:28 pm What mirror did you download from? I got mine from here: http://mirrors.kernel.org/linuxmint/tes ... t-beta.iso
I used "University of Washington, Mathematics," because it's only about 15 miles from my location. I assumed they'd all contain the same ISO.
It's supposed to be. You might want to verify the ISO or download another one, just to eliminate that as the issue.
WetGeek

Re: RESOLVED: Linux Mint 19.2 Beta mis-identifies processor?

Post by WetGeek »

Not actually "resolved," but no longer a problem.

Just to try it all again out of desperation, I started from scratch with a new VM, used all the same settings, and fired it up while not hoping for much, but this time it worked fine. I don't know of any way to determine what actually happened the first time, and I'm sorry if I wasted anyone's time with this (besides my own, that is).

Thanks for the replies and suggestions!
ajgringo619

Re: Linux Mint 19.2 Beta mis-identifies processor?

Post by ajgringo619 »

Glad it's working. You might want to check the logs from the first install; maybe something there will make sense.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Sounds more like your previous VM was accidentally configured as 32-bit (General tab).
ajgringo619

Post by ajgringo619 »

gm10 wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:14 pm Sounds more like your previous VM was accidentally configured as 32-bit (General tab).
I feel like an idiot - I totally forgot about that! :oops: I just had to use that setting, too, when I configured an Android x86 VM.
WetGeek

Post by WetGeek »

gm10 wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:14 pm Sounds more like your previous VM was accidentally configured as 32-bit (General tab).
That makes a lot of sense. I've never intentionally created a 32-bit VM, so I wouldn't have noticed if I did it accidentally. When I created the virtual disk file for the VM, and typed the name Mint ..., it selected Ubuntu, which made sense to me, and I continued from there. I didn't notice whether it said -32bit or -64bit. I'll be sure to pay more attention from now on!

Return to “Virtual Machines”