Convert MP3 to M4R [SOLVED]

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rgand
Level 5
Level 5

Convert MP3 to M4R [SOLVED]

Post by rgand »

How do I convert MP3 files to M4R format to use as an iphone ringtone?

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Smile, it makes people wonder what you've been up to.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Convert MP3 to M4R

Post by phd21 »

Hi rgand,

"Fre:ac" is a wonderful audio converter that can also rip CD's and is available as a Linux AppImage and as a "flatpak" in the software manager or by downloading their Linux Archive file (requires Java runtime be installed).

Recommend installing "ffmpeg", x264, x265, lame, etc... from the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)". You might also search the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)" for "aac" and install the related audio codec packages.

fre:ac - free audio converter
https://www.freac.org/

There are numerous free online options for converting audio formats
convert MP3 files to M4R format - Google Search
https://www.google.com/search?q=convert ... R%20format

You may want or need to trim the audio track using an audio editor like Audacity first. Audacity may also be able to export to ".m4r" format.

How to Make Free Ringtones with Audacity
https://www.aimersoft.com/record-audio/ ... acity.html

"SoundKonverter" may also work just pick "aac" and save with ".m4r". I always recommend installing this from the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)" with all of its recommended and suggested packages.

Hope this helps ...
Freac audio converter
Freac audio converter
Last edited by phd21 on Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
rgand
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rgand »

Thanks for the reply with the links in it. Before I proceed with anything, I like to know a little about what I am doing. I looked up aac and have an idea what it is. Is it basically the same as the M4R format? If so, I expect I could just rename the extension of an aac file and be in business. Is that the case?

Audacity looks to be fairly user friendly. I've installed that and fre:ac. I'll work with those and see how I do.

Thanks for the help. I'll post back after I have success (or not) doing this.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi rgand,

You are welcome...

One comment I read said that you could just rename an .mp3 file to .m4r, but I do not know if that is accurate.

If you do not need to edit the audio file, then just converting it using Freac is one of the easiest methods just make sure to add .m4r to the end of the filename or rename it to that afterward.

You can also convert to .m4a/aac and just rename it to .m4r using SoundKonverter, etc... Not sure if renaming .aac to .m4r would work, but renaming .m4a to.m4r seems to work. Try it and copy to the device to test and let us know.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
rgand
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rgand »

OK, then. I just created an m4r file from an mp3 with Audacity. I also did another one and shortened it some. So, that will do the trick. Many thanks.

Now I just need to find a way to put the thing on my damned iphone. I copied it to my voice recording folder but the POS won't look there for it. I emailed it to myself but the POS doesn't have any way to save it from the email. It will play the m4r file in the email so I know it's compatible with the iphone but there's no delivery system to get it to the correct folder. Now I remember why I dislike iphones.

Anyway, thank you again for the assistance and direction. You have been very helpful to me many times. I now have Audacity on my computer and am quite impressed with it so I'll keep it and find more uses for it in the future. I consider this thread solved.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi rgand,

You are welcome...again...

FYI: "Fre:ac" and "SoundKonverter" are easier to use IMHO than Audacity and they have options I do not think Audacity has like quality ranges from lossless, high quality, medium quality, bitrate settings, etc... So, if you do not need to edit the audio file, you might install and try those as well.

What make and model iPhone do you have?

There are various ways to transfer files to any computer using any operating system or smartphones and tablets. You can install applications like "feem", "dukto", or "Nitroshare", etc... to transfer files from the aforementioned computers and devices; just bring up the application on the computer and smartphone or tablet browse to files and transfer them.

Feem: Share Files Offline
https://feem.io/

You can install a cloud provider's sync client (free or paid for) on all computers and smartphones and tablets and sync them. These cloud providers have great Linux clients and are cross-platform: "Mega.nz" (50gb free encrypted space), "pcloud" (10gb free space), Google Drive (15gb free space, but no free Linux client, but you can access it easily), etc...

If you have a USB cable for your iPhone and or iPad and or iPod, you can try installing the Linux Apple iphone ipad software and try it (restart computer after installing packages). You can search the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)" for iphone, ipad, ipod, etc... and "mtp" and install related packages.

Here is a good link to the current Linux "imobile" packages by installing the “Quamotion” team PPA scroll down to see my replies.

Get iphone 7 Plus Photos Into Cinnamon 18.1 [SOLVED] - Linux Mint Forums
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=239521&hilit=iphone

Hope this helps ...
rgand
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Convert MP3 to M4R [SOLVED]

Post by rgand »

Well, that was more than I expected. My phone is an iphone 5S. I just got it connected. I think it has IOS 8 on it. I'd go for a newer one, but they're all just too huge. I like one that carries easily and doesn't feel like I'm running around with a book in my pocket. :lol

I'll look into those applications tomorrow. Right now it's time to hit the sack. Thanks for those recommendations.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi rgand,

You are welcome again...

Which option(s) did you choose to access your iphone that worked for you?
rgand
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rgand »

I installed Feem v4 on both the iphone and my laptop. The phone sees the laptop but the laptop doesn't see the phone. Also, the phone only sees the laptop if it's on wifi. I normally use a wired connection, which I would think would be as good as a wireless one or better. The phone is not visible to the laptop wired, wifi or both on. Still trying to figure this out. I have an email in to them and am awaiting a reply.
rgand
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rgand »

I also tried using the hotspot on the phone but neither saw the other.
HAWR
Level 9
Level 9

Post by HAWR »

I have experienced a same problem with my uncle, his iphone and pc. He wanted to have photos from his computer on his iphone, but normally copying from the pc was not possible (as it is with android). So I've found an unconventional way: I used whatsapp web, where you can upload photos, videos, documents and when you send it to someone, the file from your computer gets on the smartphone. For music-files you have to use documents and later you can find it in the whatsapp-media-folder. The format is different, but you can rename it simply to for example mp3 and then copy it to the wanted folder. Photos are normally easier to find in the galery. It is worth a try. :)
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi rgand,

On the off chance that any of these file transfer file sharing applications require adding a firewall rule(s), you can try temporarily disabling the Linux firewall then retrying Feem or whatever app, if it works, then that means you have to add a firewall rule(s) one time to allow incoming and outgoing access for that application.

There are still the other options I mentioned like using a cloud provider's sync client which is fairly easy to install and configure and works well and does not require adding firewall rules. If you have a USB cable for your phone, then install the "imobile" packages and try a direct connection.

I just read that some people are using Instant Messengers (IM) that have both iphone and Linux software to transfer files like "Wire", qTox in Linux and "Antidote" on iPhone/Mac, etc... Some are using FTP applications from their smartphones and Linux systems.

And as was just stated, you could also use a remote control, remote access, application like TeamViewer, NoMachine, etc...

Keep us posted on your progress.
rgand
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rgand »

OK, then. I changed the Linux firewall to allow incoming and that opened it up completely.

I sent a ringtone to the phone and it went easily and quickly. Now, although it's on there, I have no idea where and neither does the phone.

Thanks for the great guidance. Feem will certainly come in handy for photos. That takes care of the photo transfer problem. Much appreciated.

edit: I did find it on the phone but the phone still won't find it.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi rgand,

You are welcome again...

I don't have an iPhone, so I do not know where their default ringtone folder would be located, see links below.

Maybe there is an iPhone menu option to add ringtones and browse to select a local file that you uploaded to your phone?

Use tones and ringtones with your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207955

Where Are Ringtones Stored on iPhone, and How to Find Them?
https://www.imyfone.com/phone-data-tran ... find-them/

Hope this helps ...
rgand
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rgand »

Thanks for the additional links. Nothing helpful there, though. From everything I can glean, itunes is the only way to get ringtones on or off, or even find them. itunes won't work in Linux that I know unless you install Windows on a virtual drive. It isn't worth all that effort.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi rgand,

Ok, but don't you have iTunes on the iPhone?

How to Add Custom Ringtones to Your iPhone
https://www.howtogeek.com/248489/how-to ... ur-iphone/

If I am not mistaken Linux users can install an older version of iTunes into Wine or using Play On Linux.

And Linux users could also install Virtualbox or VMware and a version of MS Windows in that and install any MS Windows software applications into that and run it while still in Linux; of course you need to have a decent computer with the hardware resources to do that and unfortunately, I do not.

How to install iTunes on Linux (Using wine) - Miguel Nunes - Medium
https://medium.com/@miguel.nunes.72/how ... 5485fb3e85

How To Use iTunes On A Windows Or Linux Laptop | Tom's Guide Forum
https://forums.tomsguide.com/faq/how-to ... op.188221/

How to Play Apple Music in Linux - Make Tech Easier
https://www.maketecheasier.com/play-apple-music-linux/

Hope this helps ...
PlayOnLinux iTunes
PlayOnLinux iTunes
rgand
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rgand »

I had no idea itunes could be installed through Wine. I have that already installed and will follow the instructions to install itunes per that second link. After downloading the 32-bit version of itunes, of course.

Thanks for this and I'll get to it over the weekend. I'll post back after I've had a chance to try it.
rgand
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rgand »

I went to the indicated link to download the appropriate version of wine (xenial main) but then found there were many more choices which I was clueless about. This is turning into more of a chore than it's worth to put a simple ringtone on my phone. A ringtone isn't that important. I think I'll leave my installed 64-bit version of Wine undisturbed because it has things installed through it I don't want to mess with. itunes can stay off my computer (no real loss there) and one of these days I'll change my iphone for something else. When there's something available that is small enough to fit comfortably in a pocket, that is.

I appreciate all your help and great direction. I really appreciate the wonderful asistance you have so kindly offered. I now have Feem available and look forward to seeing how it works with my wife's computer and her iphone 7 Plus. This is a win in itself.

Many thanks,
Robert

Return to “Software & Applications”