[Solved] How to install dvd contents to hard drive?

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jbh911
Level 4
Level 4

[Solved] How to install dvd contents to hard drive?

Post by jbh911 »

G'day, from down under!
I have a series on five dvd's that I would like to store on my hard drive. How do i go about that? :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
athi

Re: How to install dvd contents to hard drive?

Post by athi »

jbh911 wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:00 am G'day, from down under!
I have a series on five dvd's that I would like to store on my hard drive. How do i go about that? :)
Depending on the contents of DVD. If plain data, create a folder where you want to store the data, load DVD, copy contents of DVD into folder. For DVD with special characteristics (bootable, autorun etc.), you can generate an ISO image from DVD (to preserve the special characteristics if you need to recreate the DVD later) and use Archive Manager to mount image when you want to access ISO. Brasero should be pre-installed on your Mint system and can both generate and burn ISO from DVD.
carum carvi

Post by carum carvi »

If those dvd's are store bought then they will probably have some form of copy protection. The best dvd ripper available to circumvent any copy protection is called "MakeMKV". It will rip absolutely everything perfectly. "MakeMKV" is available for download in the LinuxMint software manager. The copy of the dvd on your computer will be in "Mkv" format, which can be easily read by any mediaplayer on any system.

Brasero is not standard available in LM19/19.1 Cinnamon and I keep hearing complaints and issues about Brasero on this forum. If Brasero works, then that's great, if it doesnt then one could consider using "Xfburn" or "K3b" instead. But both "Xfburn" and "K3b"are not made to circumvent copy protection either. "MakeMKV" is ideally suited for that particular purpose.
Rocky Bennett
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Rocky Bennett »

jbh911 wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:00 am G'day, from down under!

It depends very much on what kind of data is stored on these DVDs. Since a DVD stores everything from audio only files, to Linux ISOs to JPEGS to anything that is digital, you will need the appropriate software for the data.

In addition, as has been mentioned by the other posters, if this is copyrighted material, then you will need to bypass your country's copyright laws, which we really can not advise you on here.
carum carvi

Post by carum carvi »

Rocky Bennett wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:48 pm ... if this is copyrighted material, then you will need to bypass your country's copyright laws, which we really can not advise you on here.
That is a good observation Rocky Bennet and it made me wonder how the dvd copyright laws in different countries are. Below is a link that will tell you in which countries ripping dvd's is legal for personal use. I am fortunate enough to live in such a country. And the original poster lives in Australia, therefore he is legally allowed to rip as much as he likes :D

https://www.macxdvd.com/mac-dvd-video-c ... p-dvds.htm

Nobody in the movie/music industry is bothered though by ripping dvd's anymore. Bluray is a different story, but MakeMKV cant easily rip blurays, it only rips dvd's with ease. Simple, old dvd's arent sold a lot anymore. It is a dying breed...Even blurays are thought to be a dying breed within the coming years, because everything gets streamed nowadays...
jbh911
Level 4
Level 4

Re: [Solved] How to install dvd contents to hard drive?

Post by jbh911 »

Thanks athi, carum carvi and Rocky Bennet for the response, much appreciated.
The DVDs are on History of Britain.. Thanks again. :D
Rocky Bennett
Level 5
Level 5

Re: [Solved] How to install dvd contents to hard drive?

Post by Rocky Bennett »

So these are data DVDs that store PDF files? Or are they video DVDs? Where did you get the DVDs? What country do you live in? Are they copyrighted DVDs? Lots of documents have a copyright by the creator, especially PDF files and the such.

Return to “Other topics”