SSD+HDD Partitioning [Solved]

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Mumrik93
Level 1
Level 1

SSD+HDD Partitioning [Solved]

Post by Mumrik93 »

Hello everyone!

So I've decided to migrate my main desktop over to Linux Mint, but i have an issue, my PC is currently set up with the OS (Windows 10) installed on my 250gb SSD and then i use my 3tb HDD set as storage (user installed software not related to the OS, my games, my Dropbox and MEGA-files etc). I'm an avid gamer so i need a lot more storage then the SSD can provide alone.

I've tried to the best of my ability to follow the instructions I've found on the Arch-Wiki, some help from the Reddit community and a few other places and I've come up with this setup;

HDD (3tb)
/var (15gb)
/home (remaining)

SSD (250gb)
/efi (260mb)
/swap (1gb)
/ (remaining)

Does this look like a good setup? Or have i missed anything?

Update 1
I did try to install it like this, but directly after i clicked forward, i got a pop-up about the installer being booted in UEFI-mode and asked if i wanted to continue anyway, i clicked yes... and then nothing happens... i click again.. nothing again, the window reacts to me clicking the buttons, but nothing happens, cant go forward, backswords or close it down, no error-message, had to reboot to reset it all. No installation happened so i don't know if the setup actually works. I think this might be because my USB-device is pretty old and weathered by now and i will try again once I've got a newer one.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
athi

Re: SSD+HDD Partitioning

Post by athi »

When you create the 260MB EFI partition, did you set the flag to boot, esp?

Please boot into live session, run below command in Terminal to output your partitions details and post results.

Code: Select all

df -h
Mumrik93
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Mumrik93 »

athi wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:02 pm When you create the 260MB EFI partition, did you set the flag to boot, esp?

Please boot into live session, run below command in Terminal to output your partitions details and post results.

df -h
For some reason i cant flag the EFI-partition as anything, there are no settings what so ever for it. So no, i have not.

The details i got where these,
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
udev 7.8G 0 7.8G 0% /dev
tmpfs 1.6G 1.6M 1.6G 1% /run
/dev/sdc 1.9G 1.9G 0 100% /cdrom
/dev/loop0 1.8G 1.8G 0 100% /rofs
/cow 7.9G 95M 7.8G 2% /
tmpfs 7.9G 36M 7.9G 1% /dev/shm
tmpfs 5.0M 4.0K 5.0M 1% /run/lock
tmpfs 7.9G 0 7.9G 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
tmpfs 7.9G 788K 7.9G 1% /tmp
tmpfs 1.6G 32K 1.6G 1% /run/user/999

The settings options for the partition.
The settings options for the partition.
athi

Post by athi »

Output shows no partition for sda or sdb.

When you specify the partition as EFI partition, Mint partition manager will automatically set boot/esp flag for you.

To turn the flags on manually, boot into live session, run GParted, select View-Device Information from Toolbar, select drive with top pull down menu, right click partition in main panel, select Manage Flags and check esp (boot will auto select). You can see partition table type (MBR or GPT) in lower left panel.
Mumrik93
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Mumrik93 »

athi wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:38 pm Output shows no partition for sda or sdb.

When you specify the partition as EFI partition, Mint partition manager will automatically set boot/esp flag for you.

To turn the flags on manually, boot into live session, run GParted, select View-Device Information from Toolbar, select drive with top pull down menu, right click partition in main panel, select Manage Flags and check esp (boot will auto select). You can see partition table type (MBR or GPT) in lower left panel.
All right, but do i need to do that then? If the efi partition automatically flags as /boot as you said. When i check Gparted right now, all i see are my current windows-partitions.

Back to the original question thou, is the setup i made plausible (if efi is automatically set as /boot)? Or is there something I'm missing?
athi

Post by athi »

Mumrik93 wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:36 pm Hello everyone!

So I've decided to migrate my main desktop over to Linux Mint, but i have an issue, my PC is currently set up with the OS (Windows 10) installed on my 250gb SSD and then i use my 3tb HDD set as storage (user installed software not related to the OS, my games, my Dropbox and MEGA-files etc). I'm an avid gamer so i need a lot more storage then the SSD can provide alone.

I've tried to the best of my ability to follow the instructions I've found on the Arch-Wiki, some help from the Reddit community and a few other places and I've come up with this setup;

HDD (3tb)
/var (15gb)
/home (remaining)

SSD (250gb)
/efi (260mb)
/swap (1gb)
/ (remaining)

Does this look like a good setup? Or have i missed anything?

Update 1
I did try to install it like this, but directly after i clicked forward, i got a pop-up about the installer being booted in UEFI-mode and asked if i wanted to continue anyway, i clicked yes... and then nothing happens... i click again.. nothing again, the window reacts to me clicking the buttons, but nothing happens, cant go forward, backswords or close it down, no error-message, had to reboot to reset it all. No installation happened so i don't know if the setup actually works. I think this might be because my USB-device is pretty old and weathered by now and i will try again once I've got a newer one.
Just re-read your first post, you want a Mint setup with the above layout on 1 250GB SSD and 1 3TB HDD. You will need to use Something Else option during installation to specify the partitions as above. With Mint 19.x, Mint will use a SWAP file if you do not create a SWAP partition. So that is a choice for you if you want to use SWAP file or create a SWAP partition. The above /swap partition @1GB is a bit small, I would recommend same size as the RAM.

Anyway, in the Installation screen with the drive layout,

you will create on the 250GB SSD:
1 x 260MB partition and set that to EFI System Partition (partition will be created as FAT and efi/boot flags set automatically by installer)
Optional 1 x partition set to SWAP
1 x ext4 partition from remainder of 250GB SSD set to /
Check at lower half of installation screen to make sure that boot loader is pointing to 250GB SSD.

on the 3TB HDD, you will create:
1 x 15GB ext4 partition set to /var
1 x ext4 partition from remainder of 3TB HDD set to /home.

Edit: forgot, if the format box is available, check that to format the partition.
Mumrik93
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Mumrik93 »

athi wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:29 pm
Just re-read your first post, you want a Mint setup with the above layout on 1 250GB SSD and 1 3TB HDD. You will need to use Something Else option during installation to specify the partitions as above. With Mint 19.x, Mint will use a SWAP file if you do not create a SWAP partition. So that is a choice for you if you want to use SWAP file or create a SWAP partition. The above /swap partition @1GB is a bit small, I would recommend same size as the RAM.

Anyway, in the Installation screen with the drive layout,

you will create on the 250GB SSD:
1 x 260MB partition and set that to EFI System Partition (partition will be created as FAT and efi/boot flags set automatically by installer)
Optional 1 x partition set to SWAP
1 x ext4 partition from remainder of 250GB SSD set to /
Check at lower half of installation screen to make sure that boot loader is pointing to 250GB SSD.

on the 3TB HDD, you will create:
1 x 15GB ext4 partition set to /var
1 x ext4 partition from remainder of 3TB HDD set to /home.

Edit: forgot, if the format box is available, check that to format the partition.
I gave it another try! I sadly still get stuck at the same place as before, the "Force UEFI installation" pops up and it does not matter if i press forward or backwards.. or close, nothing happens. This happened before as well.. No idea why.

I also noticed when i booted and was going to chose to boot form the USB, i noticed that my USB shows up twice, but on one of them it's also labelled as "Partition 1", while the other one is only named after the USB itself.
Attachments
the installer has frozen at this.
the installer has frozen at this.
athi

Post by athi »

Please confirm that you are looking for a Mint only installation. Below steps will wipe all HDD/SSD and erase your Windows installation!

That warning is stating that there is another O/S installed using legacy bios. The previous Windows installation (Win7 or earlier) may have been installed using legacy bios mode with boot loader installed on the boot sectors of the HDD. Best to just wipe the HDD/SSD and create new GPT partition tables on all HDD/SDD.

Please boot into live session and open GParted. In the drive selection screen (upper right corner) make note of selected HDD/SSD, select Device-Create partition table, select GPT from Select new partition table type pull down menu and click Apply. Repeat for all HDD/SSD.

Then try another Mint installation.
Mumrik93
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Mumrik93 »

athi wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:29 pm Please confirm that you are looking for a Mint only installation. Below steps will wipe all HDD/SSD and erase your Windows installation!

That warning is stating that there is another O/S installed using legacy bios. The previous Windows installation (Win7 or earlier) may have been installed using legacy bios mode with boot loader installed on the boot sectors of the HDD. Best to just wipe the HDD/SSD and create new GPT partition tables on all HDD/SDD.

Please boot into live session and open GParted. In the drive selection screen (upper right corner) make note of selected HDD/SSD, select Device-Create partition table, select GPT from Select new partition table type pull down menu and click Apply. Repeat for all HDD/SSD.

Done and done! Alright, so i've been looking around a bit more, and with your help the partition scheme i've come up with looks as the following;

HDD;
/var 15gb
/home (remaining)

SSD;
efi 260mb
biosgrub 100mb
/boot 400mb
swap 16gb
/ (remaining)

My PC is a custom build, only had windows 10 installed (installed it myself) and boot-settings are set to UEFI by default, still for some reason, after i managed to install Mint, all that happens is i end up on the MSI bios-settings (boot-settings, overclock settings etc etc) This might be because i did not manually formatted to GPT thou, as you just mentioned. So i've now formated to GPT and, for good measures, added 'biosgrub' and a separate '/boot'. Think that'll work?
Mumrik93
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Mumrik93 »

Please confirm that you are looking for a Mint only installation. Below steps will wipe all HDD/SSD and erase your Windows installation!

Tried it.. didnt work. At boot-up i end up in the MSI Click Bios over and over again, even thou the start-up settings are set to UEFI Harddisk, i dont understand why this is happening :( There was no issue during the installation at all.

PS.
Yes this is supposed to be a Linux Mint ONLY install, no more dual-booting for me!
athi

Post by athi »

You do not need biosgurb 100MB or /boot 400MB partitions, boot files and GRUB will be installed in efi partition. Please delete both.

Looks like UEFI is not seeing the Mint installation.

With UEFI enabled, you will need to disable secure boot and use SATA AHCI mode. Please boot into live session, copy, paste and run below commands in Terminal to output secure boot status, SATA mode, current partition layout/usage respectively and post results.

mokutil --sb-state

lspci

df -m |grep sd
Mumrik93
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Mumrik93 »

athi wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:22 pm You do not need biosgurb 100MB or /boot 400MB partitions, boot files and GRUB will be installed in efi partition. Please delete both.

With UEFI enabled, you will need to disable secure boot and use SATA AHCI mode. Please boot into live session, copy, paste and run below commands in Terminal to output secure boot status, SATA mode, current partition layout/usage respectively and post results.

mokutil --sb-state

lspci

df -m |grep sd
What i received were the following,

1.)
SecureBoot disabled
Platform is in Setup Mode

2.)
00:00.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 17h (Models 00h-0fh) Root Complex
00:00.2 IOMMU: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 17h (Models 00h-0fh) I/O Memory Management Unit
00:01.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 17h (Models 00h-0fh) PCIe Dummy Host Bridge
00:01.3 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 17h (Models 00h-0fh) PCIe GPP Bridge
00:02.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 17h (Models 00h-0fh) PCIe Dummy Host Bridge
00:03.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 17h (Models 00h-0fh) PCIe Dummy Host Bridge
00:03.1 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 17h (Models 00h-0fh) PCIe GPP Bridge
00:04.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 17h (Models 00h-0fh) PCIe Dummy Host Bridge
00:07.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 17h (Models 00h-0fh) PCIe Dummy Host Bridge
00:07.1 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 17h (Models 00h-0fh) Internal PCIe GPP Bridge 0 to Bus B
00:08.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 17h (Models 00h-0fh) PCIe Dummy Host Bridge
00:08.1 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 17h (Models 00h-0fh) Internal PCIe GPP Bridge 0 to Bus B
00:14.0 SMBus: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH SMBus Controller (rev 59)
00:14.3 ISA bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH LPC Bridge (rev 51)
00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 17h (Models 00h-0fh) Data Fabric: Device 18h; Function 0
00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 17h (Models 00h-0fh) Data Fabric: Device 18h; Function 1
00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 17h (Models 00h-0fh) Data Fabric: Device 18h; Function 2
00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 17h (Models 00h-0fh) Data Fabric: Device 18h; Function 3
00:18.4 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 17h (Models 00h-0fh) Data Fabric: Device 18h; Function 4
00:18.5 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 17h (Models 00h-0fh) Data Fabric: Device 18h; Function 5
00:18.6 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 17h (Models 00h-0fh) Data Fabric Device 18h Function 6
00:18.7 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 17h (Models 00h-0fh) Data Fabric: Device 18h; Function 7
03:00.0 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] 300 Series Chipset USB 3.1 xHCI Controller (rev 02)
03:00.1 SATA controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] 300 Series Chipset SATA Controller (rev 02)
03:00.2 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 43b2 (rev 02)
04:00.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] 300 Series Chipset PCIe Port (rev 02)
04:01.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] 300 Series Chipset PCIe Port (rev 02)
04:04.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] 300 Series Chipset PCIe Port (rev 02)
1f:00.0 PCI bridge: ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1083/1085 PCIe to PCI Bridge (rev 03)
21:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 15)
23:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GP102 [GeForce GTX 1080 Ti] (rev a1)
23:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation GP102 HDMI Audio Controller (rev a1)
24:00.0 Non-Essential Instrumentation [1300]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 145a
24:00.2 Encryption controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 17h (Models 00h-0fh) Platform Security Processor
24:00.3 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 17h (Models 00h-0fh) USB 3.0 Host Controller
25:00.0 Non-Essential Instrumentation [1300]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 1455
25:00.2 SATA controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH SATA Controller [AHCI mode] (rev 51)
25:00.3 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 17h (Models 00h-0fh) HD Audio Controller

3.)
/dev/sdb 1883 1883 0 100% /cdrom

I made no changes to the system before i typed the commands in.
athi

Post by athi »

Mumrik93 wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:31 am What i received were the following,

1.)
SecureBoot disabled

2.)
00:00.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 17h (Models 00h-0fh) Root Complex
00:00.2 IOMMU: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 17h (Models 00h-0fh) I/O Memory Management Unit
00:01.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 17h (Models 00h-0fh) PCIe Dummy Host Bridge
00:01.3 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 17h (Models 00h-0fh) PCIe GPP Bridge
00:02.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 17h (Models 00h-0fh) PCIe Dummy Host Bridge
00:03.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 17h (Models 00h-0fh) PCIe Dummy Host Bridge
00:03.1 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 17h (Models 00h-0fh) PCIe GPP Bridge
00:04.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 17h (Models 00h-0fh) PCIe Dummy Host Bridge
00:07.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 17h (Models 00h-0fh) PCIe Dummy Host Bridge
00:07.1 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 17h (Models 00h-0fh) Internal PCIe GPP Bridge 0 to Bus B
00:08.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 17h (Models 00h-0fh) PCIe Dummy Host Bridge
00:08.1 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 17h (Models 00h-0fh) Internal PCIe GPP Bridge 0 to Bus B
00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 17h (Models 00h-0fh) Data Fabric: Device 18h; Function 0
00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 17h (Models 00h-0fh) Data Fabric: Device 18h; Function 1
00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 17h (Models 00h-0fh) Data Fabric: Device 18h; Function 2
00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 17h (Models 00h-0fh) Data Fabric: Device 18h; Function 3
00:18.4 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 17h (Models 00h-0fh) Data Fabric: Device 18h; Function 4
00:18.5 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 17h (Models 00h-0fh) Data Fabric: Device 18h; Function 5
00:18.6 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 17h (Models 00h-0fh) Data Fabric Device 18h Function 6
00:18.7 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 17h (Models 00h-0fh) Data Fabric: Device 18h; Function 7
03:00.0 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] 300 Series Chipset USB 3.1 xHCI Controller (rev 02)
03:00.1 SATA controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] 300 Series Chipset SATA Controller (rev 02)
04:00.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] 300 Series Chipset PCIe Port (rev 02)
04:01.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] 300 Series Chipset PCIe Port (rev 02)
04:04.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] 300 Series Chipset PCIe Port (rev 02)
1f:00.0 PCI bridge: ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1083/1085 PCIe to PCI Bridge (rev 03)
21:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 15)
23:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GP102 [GeForce GTX 1080 Ti] (rev a1)
24:00.0 Non-Essential Instrumentation [1300]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 145a
24:00.2 Encryption controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 17h (Models 00h-0fh) Platform Security Processor
24:00.3 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 17h (Models 00h-0fh) USB 3.0 Host Controller
25:00.0 Non-Essential Instrumentation [1300]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 1455
25:00.2 SATA controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH SATA Controller [AHCI mode] (rev 51)
25:00.3 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 17h (Models 00h-0fh) HD Audio Controller

3.)

I made no changes to the system before i typed the commands in.
Secure boot is disabled and in Setup Mode, SATA is in AHCI mode. Not getting any output from SSD or HDD only cdrom.

In live session, can you see the SSD/HDD with GParted? If you can see, are there any partitions on the SSD/HDD?
Mumrik93
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Mumrik93 »

Gparted can find both the SSD and HDD and both of which is are empty (Unallocated) I went trough the Create Partition Table sequence after the last installation did not function properly.
ill try installing normally again and see if the commands yield different results.
athi

Post by athi »

Sounds good, please let us know how it goes.
Mumrik93
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Mumrik93 »

athi wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:22 pm You do not need biosgurb 100MB or /boot 400MB partitions, boot files and GRUB will be installed in efi partition. Please delete both.

mokutil --sb-state

lspci

df -m |grep sd
Alright, so im back again! Dont know why but for some reason the UEFI install popup came back again, even thou the SSD and HDD was unalloated trough gParted, anyway, i managed to get trough the install again and everything worked out fine, but like last time i cant boot into Linux Mint, i keep ending back in the MSI Bios, so im back in the live session again.

Linux Mint IS installed now on my PC, haven't touched the partitions since the installation.

Here are the results from the commands,

1.)
SecureBoot disabled

2.)

3.)
athi

Post by athi »

See if you can get out of secure boot setup mode. That might be preventing installer from making changes to the HDD.

Do not have much experience with AMD since the Athlon days, but BIOS should be the same just different hardware.
Mumrik93
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Mumrik93 »

athi wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:58 am See if you can get out of secure boot setup mode. That might be preventing installer from making changes to the HDD.

Do not have much experience with AMD since the Athlon days, but BIOS should be the same just different hardware.
I found the settings for secure-boot, i couldn't find a way to "Turn them off" but i could switch it from "Standard" to "Custom", which i did, i also found a setting called "Windows 10 WHQL" which i could turn off, and did. Then i rebooted, and now i can get into Linux Mint, at long last!

Thanks a lot Athi, you've saved my PC! Everything seems to work perfectly!
athi

Re: SSD+HDD Partitioning [Solved]

Post by athi »

You are welcome, glad that you got Mint running.

Return to “Installation & Boot”